Thesis: Book Illustration of "The Princess and the Queen"

Asve

Hello everyone, I am a graduating Fine Arts major in Advertising student this year and I have decided to book illustrate "The Princess and The Queen" for my thesis. The book illustration category for thesis requires me too choose a book and illustrate it or re-illustrate it but with reasons as to why, and how could the new version of your thesis book help promote the original one so on and so forth.

Since The Princess and The Queen story is written by Archmaester Gyldayn of the Citadel of Oldtown, making the story look more like recorded for Westeros' history, I plan to make an illustrated hard bound version in the "Old medieval books with illustrations" style/theme. The sort where it looks like it was created and adorned by monks in the medieval times (or like it was made by maesters)

I would like some opinion if you guys are interested if the said theme is suitable or not. I was also wondering were there some sort of "art type" in westeros? And does westeros seem like in "medieval culture"?

Oh hidden messages, I have yet to start my research but adding them would be a challenge or even trivial maybe because that could mean the illustrator has to add/make up additional content/altering in the story through illustrations. I'm not sure but this is interesting. Archmaester Glydayn knows some truths he wants to tell to everyone but can't openlty so he puts them in hidden messages

Will do show the book when its done!

• 8 months later...

I have finished the said book and you can view it here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/26960893/Game-of-Thrones-Dying-of-the-Dragons

Although overall theme may disppoint you, I wasn't able to execute everything I planned that I mentioned on the first post. I also got a signed bookplate from Grrm (tried to email him regarding permissions about using his novella, and whoop, his assistant replied and sent me one)

I have finished the said book and you can view it here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/26960893/Game-of-Thrones-Dying-of-the-Dragons

Although overall theme may disppoint you, I wasn't able to execute everything I planned that I mentioned on the first post. I also got a signed bookplate from Grrm (tried to email him regarding permissions about using his novella, and whoop, his assistant replied and sent me one)

That's really awesome! Great job!

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely didn't disappoint me! It looks fantastic. I love your Rhaenyra, and your depiction of Joffrey, Jacaerys, and Lucerys. The cover is very lovely as well.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I am a graduating Fine Arts major in Advertising student this year and I have decided to book illustrate "The Princess and The Queen" for my thesis. The book illustration category for thesis requires me too choose a book and illustrate it or re-illustrate it but with reasons as to why, and how could the new version of your thesis book help promote the original one so on and so forth.

Since The Princess and The Queen story is written by Archmaester Gyldayn of the Citadel of Oldtown, making the story look more like recorded for Westeros' history, I plan to make an illustrated hard bound version in the "Old medieval books with illustrations" style/theme. The sort where it looks like it was created and adorned by monks in the medieval times (or like it was made by maesters)

I would like some opinion if you guys are interested if the said theme is suitable or not. I was also wondering were there some sort of "art type" in westeros? And does westeros seem like in "medieval culture"? 

This is wonderful. I love the medieval style illuminated manuscripts.

We don't hear much about art in Westeros, perhaps Martin is not so interested in that field, or he doesn't have time to include it.

Westeros seems to be contemporary with the Wars of the Roses (so late middle ages) and the Fall of Volantis to the Dothraki (fated to happen in TWOW) could be seen as the equivalent of the Fall of Constantinople.

However by this time, the Middle Ages had gunpowder, where as Westeros doesn't seem to have gunpowder.

So you will have to choose when your version of "the Princess and the Queen" was illustrated: was it done more or less contemporary with the events described? If so you may to go with illuminated manuscripts from the time or soon after the lives of Empress Matilda and her son Henry Plantagenet.  Since that period of illuminated manuscripts are not as beautiful as late medieval manuscripts (as seen in the style of Tres Riche heure and the illustrations of illustrious women by Robinet Testard) then you might want to have your illuminated manuscript produced in the late middle ages/during the reign of King Joffrey or King Tommen.

However why would these Baratheon kinds commission such an art work (asides, it took ages to create illuminated manuscripts, so i don't think Joffrey or Tommen would reign long enough, and whilst the show liked to portray Joffrey as a little bit decadent, the book character is a total philistine, and is unlikely to commission any art work, indeed, generally Lannisters seem to have quite tacky tastes).

Perhaps you should go for something commissioned during the reign of Aerys the Mad, or skip forward to Daenerys and FAegon (which could be a bit early Tudor in style).

I hope this makes sense.

I love late Gothic/Northern Renaissance art.

However the show portrays Kings Landing as being kind of Mediterranean (since they filmed in Dubrovnik), so you could go with a more Italianate style of illuminated manuscript and take inspiration from Giotto or Simon Martini... Pinturichio is a bit late (too renaissance and I don't know if he illustrated manuscripts).

Edit

in my excitement I forgot to read the complete post (or check the date)

you did amazing illustrations.

Archived