Dany can Cripple the Slave Trade completely before she leaves Meereen.

Suzanna Stormborn

Dany has the power, given the texts thus far, to successfully and completely stop the slave trade and right many wrongs in SB before she departs for Westeros. Otherwise what is her story in SB even about?

In her last chapter in DwD she has become a Dragonlord and has met back up with the Dothraki and that’s all we know. IMO, they are headed to Vaes Dothrak and the Crones to change the fundamentals of the Dothraki culture, to stop capturing and gathering slaves, many people/posters speculate as such. Also Barristan, BBP, Tyrion, the Unsullied and 2 of her dragons are still in Meereen fighting a giant battle as we speak, there is no evidence of anyone getting out their suitcases to leave SB yet as they are all still in the middle of a battle and the Windblown have just switched sides.

Here are random examples of characters stating how Dany has already halted the slave trade in the whole ocean and SB.

All from DwD

“That gave the captain pause.”I am no stranger to Meereen. I could find the city again, aye…but why? There are no slaves to be had in Meereen, no profit to be found there. The silver queen has put an end to that.” –captain of the Adventure

“This arrogant child has taken it upon herself to smash the slave trade, but that traffic was never confined to Slaver’s Bay. It was part of the sea of trade that spanned the world, and the dragon queen has clouded the water.”--Qavo

“Grieved for a brother and a husband and a son, trod the cities of the slavers to dust beneath her dainty sandled feet.”--Tyrion

“She touched the faded scar upon her wrinkled cheek, where her tears had been cut away.”Tell her we are waiting. Tell her to come soon.”—Vagarro’s Whore

"Without slaves, Meereen had little to offer traders."--Dany

In fact, Dany stopping the slave trade is her making good on problems that the ancient Valyrians partly caused. She is righting their ancient wrongs as best she can;

"The cedars that had once grown tall along the coast grew no more, felled by the axes of the Old Empire or consumed by dragonfire when the Ghis made was against Valyria. Once the trees had gone, the soil baked beneath the hot sun and blew away in thick red clouds. "It was these calamities that transformed my people in slavers," Glazza Galare had told her at the Temple of the GRaces. And I am the calamity that will change these slavers back into people, Dany had sworn to herself."

And as far as Dany eventually leaving Meereen; well XXD spelled out exactly what she has to do to stop the slave trade before she goes. Many, many people around Planetos believe the slave trade to already be broken in SB;

XXD clearly lays out what Dany must do if she wants to stop the slave trade;

Dany and XXD in Meereen;

"Meereen will be rich and fat and peaceful once again, and free as well. Go to the Dothraki if you must have slaves."

"Dothraki make slaves, Ghiscari train them. And to reach Qarth, the horselords must needs drive their captives across the red waste. Hundreds would die, if not thousands.....and many horses too, which is why no khal will risk it."--XXD

So there it is all laid out, the entire slave circle. It starts with the Dothraki rounding up slaves and selling them to the Ghiscari in SB. Khalasars cannot make it to Qarth to sell, so if the Dothraki are stopped from rounding up slaves and selling them to SB then the slave trade will be broken for the most part.......By coincidence, Dany and Drogon just happened to come upon a hoarde of Dothraki in her last chapter, and many agree she is now headed to Vaes Dothrak......So actually she is very very close to completely breaking the entire slave trade at its root core. Other than the Dothraki, the Ghiscari must be beaten......Well, there is currently a huge battle going on in SB against the Ghiscari. So if Barristan, BBP, Tyrion and Viserion can somehow pull out a win in this battle against the Yunkai and the Ghiscari (which seems to be the way it is going based on the WoW Tyrion sample chapter), then Dany will have succeeded in halting the slave trade completely and her time in Meereen will not have been wasted or fruitless or pointless. It will actually turn out to be totally awesome. I know that there is still slaving that goes on in the ocean, slaver pirates capturing ships and such, but if Dany is able to defeat the Ghiscari in battle then there will be no one left to buy slaves from said pirates.

And regarding the olive trees and the future of Meereen, she has already replanted them, she is already trying to do right for future members of SB, given they desist in their slaving….. Of course she is not the one who burnt them down to begin with, the genius Ghiscari did. They were more concerned with slightly inconveniencing her than they are with their own prosperity.

"We are replanting, but it takes seven years before an olive tree begins to bear, and thirty years before it can truly be called productive."--Dany

And why did you just copy and paste a post from the other thread? Because olive trees have nothing to do with your point.

And no, the Basilisk corsairs will always find a new market. They'll train slaves themselves, or rich Qartheen or Ghiscari will do so. And there'll be new slaving cities in Ghaen or Great Moraq.

aSoiaF exists in a pre industrial time. The motivation for slavery was ALWAYS to keep agriculture workers on hand, as labor is essential for farming (without mechanized tractors, plows, harvesters etc). Even anti slavery Westeros has a form of slavery without calling it slavery, after all that's what feudalism is. So unless Dany invents the steam piston slavery will continue, at best she can reform it's worse aspects.

And why did you just copy and paste a post from the other thread? ->

Because it's independent analysis well worthy of a post. A better question is why are you so hostile to expression? Did this post injure you? I, for one, had never considered that there was no other market for Dothraki slaves because they can't reach Qarth with a khalasar.

Food for thought.

I have entertained the possibility of Dany taking over large chuncks of Essos before, but even I never dared to be as optimistic as this.

Imo the battle of fire will be split into two parts. The first part is the one we have already saw pieces off in the released Barristan, Tyrion and Victarion chapters. I believe Team Dany will win that one easily. The real test however, will be the arrival of the Volantinian Navy, which will arrive after the first battle has been won for quite awhile.

I think that battle will be a lot harder and in the end the defenders will only be victorious after Dany swoops in on Drogon with a Khalesar at her back. After that she'll lay waste to Meereen and her march on Westeros will begin. Her Dothraki Khalesar and perhaps other mounted units will travel along the Demon Road and take out the cities (Mantarys, etc.) along their way. Her ships will head for Volantis. On their way those ships will take out Yunkai (no slaverscities will be left), New Ghis (food) and Ellaria (last slaver city left).

Dany's Khalesar will draw out the remaining Volantinian forces and then the fleet will sweep in. She'll execute Tyrion's plan from ADWD (She and Tyrion will mostly be apart here, for one will travel with the Dothraki and the other with the ships) and take Volantis. Volantis will surve as her base of operations to invade the Seven Kingdoms and probably a further gathering point for the Khalesars (She'll be proclaimed the SWMTW in the early stages of tWoW and there is no way all 28 Khalesars are present at the same time).

Parts of her army (mainly Dothraki, since these are the hardest to transport to Westeros) will then be dispatched to pacify the disputed lands (and probably demand the end of slavery in Myr, though I don't think the city is going to be taken) and to install the Tattered Prince as ruler of Pentos (By then Tyrion and perhaps the Tattered Prince as well would have told her about Illyrio's involvement with Faegon). The Windblow and most of her Dothraki will be busy enough with that (I do wonder if she would nominally let Pentos be independent under Tatters or if she would make him Lord of Pentos under her reign).

All in all I believe this is by far the best case scenario. Much more than that she'll never be able to take. This on the other hand is just the right ammount. She has the Fire & Blood thing down perfectly, but she wouldn't have to do much ruling. The cities of Slaversbay (Meereen, Yunkai, Tolos, New Ghis, Mantarys, Ellaria) would be destroyed (Check Fire & Blood, but no need for ruling).

The Khalesars of the Dothraki Sea would follow her out of their own volition and outside of taking orders from Daenerys and abandoning slavery they would mind their own business (check Sea of Dothrak without actively ruling). Volantis would rise for her and the city's main religious leaders, part of the shadowelite (people like Widow by the Waterfront) and the cities military leaders (the Volantinian mareens) would support her. She could very succesfully have that city be ruled by proxy while she is in Westeros.

Her freedmen from her slaversbay campaign (and many freed slaves from the Khalesars and Volantis) could be set up in the Disputed Lands which would be pacified by the Dothraki (and ruled from Volantis). Finally, in Pentos she would install Tatters (either as a ruler in his own right or as a Lord under her banner), a man who still has a lot of friends in the city (and the nobility would surely follow a man who could end the magisters reign), has proven to be capable and has his own troops at his disposal to use as enforcers.

In other words, very big conquest, without being bogged down un ruling it. The only place she really needs to pay attention to is Volantis, but that's it. From Volantis Dany could start her campaign to invade Westeros with a massive army (both of soldiers and of followers).

I'm going to be super lazy and re-post this post from Veltigar explaining how Dany's campaign in Essos will end.

Basically, I think if she's able to conquer Slaver's Bay and Volantis completely she'll be able to end the slave trade, however, some slavery may persist in certain areas.

I'm going to be super lazy and re-post this post from Veltigar explaining how Dany's campaign in Essos will end.

Basically, I think if she's able to conquer Slaver's Bay and Volantis completely she'll be able to end the slave trade, however, some slavery may persist in certain areas.

Yes it may persist in certain areas, but if she can break SB of slaving then the vast majority of the slave market will be diminished.

I think the best she can do is introduce the Westerosi feudal system into these cultures. So instead of slaves there will be serfs/thralls, obligated to serve their Lord for life but with some degree of protection and legal rights. So slavery still but a less cruel kind (in some respects). GRRM is a history buff, he's smart enough to know that the Abraham Lincoln story won't work in these societies.

Realistically i don´t think so. She could stop slave trade in mereen depending on who stays in power once she leaves, but as long as there is a world demand for slaves, someone else can replace Mereen in the business of slave training, and certainly others could replace the dothrakis. (Pirates for instance), since the capturing slaves is the part of the production chain with less added value.

Her campaign to end slavery is doomed, as is the war on drugs for instance. Problems of demand should have demand-side solutions.

her efforts are just rising slave prices, therefore encouraging new players...

Because it's independent analysis well worthy of a post. A better question is why are you so hostile to expression? Did this post injure you? I, for one, had never considered that there was no other market for Dothraki slaves because they can't reach Qarth with a khalasar.

Food for thought.

I didnt copy and paste, I chanegd a lot of it......but It has too many examples and evidence form the book, which can bother people...

Thank you Hodor's Dream :)

It's a noble goal, more noble than avenging her family and reconquering a continent in their name. It will probably be a lot harder too. Hard for the cities that depend on slaves from Slavers Bay, but nearly impossible for the cities in the bay themselves. It's so ingrained in their culture. I know a lot of people hope she just gives up and goes back to Westeros but I don't want her to just wash her hands of the situation. Don't get me wrong I want to see her in Westeros too, but I hope she' at least leaves someone capable behind to rule Mereen.

Realistically i don´t think so. She could stop slave trade in mereen depending on who stays in power once she leaves, but as long as there is a world demand for slaves, someone else can replace Mereen in the business of slave training, and certainly others could replace the dothrakis. (Pirates for instance)

Her campaign to end slavery is doomed, as is the war on drugs for instance. Problems of demand should have demand-side solutions.

her efforts are just rising slave prices, therefore encouraging new players...

lol! touche

I still think there must be a point to her slavery campaign, and XXD did spell it all out for her. But you're right I think a lot of depends on who she leaves in charge of Meereen, any thoughts?

lol! touche

I still think there must be a point to her slavery campaign, and XXD did spell it all out for her. But you're right I think a lot of depends on who she leaves in charge of Meereen, any thoughts?

My personal one? Meeren will be burnt to the ground. Like for real.

She won't have to fight the volantisian navy if Volantis revolts in her favor.

lol! touche

yes, i think GRRM should let her save face and allow a free-meereen... The only player in town is the shavepate, which is not neccesary a great solution (at least not for the old nobility), but his powerbase half consist of freedmen.. he can hardly put dany´s people back in chains as would the great masters.

Food for thought.

1. Because she didn't even make an effort to make her post (which was a reply) into a proper OP, as evidenced by the fact that her last paragraph discusses olive trees.

2. Ever heard of Basilisk Islanders? I guess the Corsair King's gonna get fabulously rich, thanks to Dany.

Archived