True Detective X - Bring Ginger Into Your Heart (Season One spoilers, Season Two speculation / casting)

SpaceChampion

Probably seeing as people watched him week after week for like 6 years. I think its pretty remarkable how popular the Rust character got for how short lived He was. Cranston and MM are both super talented actors, won't even bother to call one better than the other. I do think MMs performance on True Detective was a tad better than Cranstons season 5 showing but its awfully close and probably comes down to which show you enjoyed more.

Some of this could be a reflection on how season two and any subsequent seasons turn out. If they hit home run after home run for three more years, the zeitgeist is likely to alter giving more pop culture weight to what was initially achieved in that first season.

Though Ginger will be forever.

Why all the focus on Rust? I thought Woody was every bit as good in TD as MM. In fact, he got to display a lot more range, being both the macho man, the pathetic man, the repentant man, etc.

I get why Rust as a character is more memorable, but man, Hart (or the portrayal of him) isn't getting enough love.

And this is pretty much the reason why McConaughey didn't win the Emmy (besides Cranston's fantastic work, of course): Harrelson would always split the vote with him to some extent, so if he had a strong contender he'd probably always lose.

I was never really concerned with the casting. If there is one thing that HBO almost always gets right, it's the casting. The only miss I can think of is a couple of the characters from John from Cincinnati.

I'm far more interested in the story and whether Pizzolatto can repeat the creation of something so compelling to watch without McConaughey and without relying on so much of Rust's exposition. The first season ended up having nothing to do really with solving the case. Can you do that two seasons in a row while keeping your audience engaged?

I don't get why Farrell is being so disparaged. It's not as if McConaughey was known as some great actor prior to his current renaissance, even though he had had a number of very good performances. Colin Farrell has been in a number of good movies, and he's put out a number of good-to-great performances in many of those films. And given one of his recent performances in the movie In Bruges, and Pizzolatto's dialogue (based on his novel, Galveston, and the first season of this show), consider me excited.

Looking forward to the rest of the cast getting filled out, and in particular I'm intrigued as to who will be directing.

I'm not a huge Colin Farrell fan either, but I'm willing to have an open mind considering the fact that I wasn't a McConaughey fan before True Detective.

Also, I still love Ginger. Quit talking smack about him, manatee.

Archived