Courts of unlikely kings & queens

Pod The Impaler

There's been many threads about who should be the Small Council and/or Kingsguard (the royal court) of various monarch claimants, and even a few "what if you [the reader] were king or queen?" ones.

Obviously different rulers would have different skills, different ideas, and want or need different underlings.

So here's a different twist on it. What should the royal court look like if the monarch was a character unlikely to ever sit on a throne in their own right?

(This will exclude any known / official claimants to king or queenship, or their existing consorts. So, nobody from the line of Targaryen or Baratheon claimants, or their official consorts. In other words, not the usual people that are thought of as future kings or queens !)

I'll make a list of characters who are unlikely to rule, and if they - by whatever unexpected means - did take power as sovereign, who should their royal court be composed of ? (And if they should have a spouse, then who?) Simply pick one candidate, and let us know what you'd like to see.

(Typically the Iron Throne, but perhaps the King in the North, or Seatone Chair might work as well.)

Here is the list - if you have any suggestions, suggest them, and I may add them to the list:

King PETYR BAELISH

King SANDOR CLEGANE

Queen BRIENNE OF TARTH

King SAMWELL TARLY

Queen ARYA STARK

King ROOSE BOLTON

King RODRIK HARLAW

Queen SANSA STARK (pick either Iron Throne, or North)

King MANCE RAYDER (once south of the wall)

OK, go !

Queen ARYA STARK

The one who privately knows she´s Jeyne?

Depends on which friends of King Stannis are not dead along with him. Her husband did not spend so much time listing them.

Would Alysanne Mormont fit into any formal office? Would Flints, Wulls or Glovers accept her commands?

Queen SANSA STARK (pick either Iron Throne, or North)

North is logical and expected. Hand Petyr Baelish, if north has the post of Hand... but Robb did not have any.

The one who privately knows she´s Jeyne?

I was thinking the real one, not Jeyne. But if you want to add fArya / Jeyne Poole, and run with that, by all means do so.

(for Sansa)

North is logical and expected. Hand Petyr Baelish, if north has the post of Hand... but Robb did not have any.

Well, I left the scenarios open-ended, as to how they got there - it can really be anything. In Sansa's case, there is the North alone, but also (with all the connections gathered to her) the chance she might be the hegemonic force in the rest as well. Just pick one or the other scenario, and who you think would be make sense for her to have at her side.

I don't know why but I think that Roose Bolton would be an efficient ruler... if he gets rid of his mentally ill son. As long as he's king I can't imagine the members of the council plotting like they did in Robert's reign or Cersei's.

I have reasons to believe that Mance's reign would resemble Egg's. He'd be loved by the common folk and held in contempt by some of the nobles due to his diregard for their rules. Like Aegon, I believe that he would allow his heirs to marry for love.

I don't know why but I think that Roose Bolton would be an efficient ruler... if he gets rid of his mentally ill son. As long as he's king I can't imagine the members of the council plotting like they did in Robert's reign or Cersei's.

Well, who then should surround him as his officers, and acheive "a peaceful land, a quiet people" ?

Who are the members of his council now that he is a lord?

Would they like to plot to get rid of Ramsay? Are they doing so?

King PETYR BAELISH

-Lothar Brune

-Oswell Kettleblack

-Lyn Corbray

Beyond that, I can't see LF keeping the same people for too long. Doesn't really fit with his MO. He'd probably have some greedy merchants here and there.

For muscle, they certainly fit the bill.

Think he'd have room in there for someone like Nymeria Sand or Edmure Tully or some Tyrell ?

Queens don't really sit the throne in Westeros "nowadays" (nor in the days before Aegon the Conqueror).

If Dany takes the Iron Throne, only folks over a certain age are likely to be comfy with her leading rather than say Aegon. In the days the Targaryens wore the crowns, this (and their incestuous ways) were one of a few Targaryen practices that were mostly tolerated in Westeros because they had the dragons and power (later just the power). Perhaps the smarter Westerosi saw the horrendous mess that Cristos "the Kingmaker" Cole left behind when he nudged Aegon II towards making himself king when his elder sister had been chosen by their late father to succeed him.

Archived