All-time Fantasy top 5

Calibandar

Here's my 10 cents worth

1. Terry Pratchett

2. Steven Erikson

3. George RR Martin

4. R Scott Bakker

5. Robert Jordan

Feel free to lambast me for that last one :)

That list tends to vary with the books I'm reading at any particular time. People also tend to sneak on and off.

1. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings

2. Jordan - WoT

3. Hobb - The first 2 trilogies.

4. Glen Cook - Black Company

5. Kay vs Feist. Tigana/The Last Light of the Sun vs Riftwar saga (the main books in the series) and Serpandwar saga

[EDIT]

I must admit that I have not read GRRM, Eirkson, Brooks, Mieville, Gaiman and Goodkind yet :)

Tolkien's LotR is my favorite book of all time so I suppose he's in the top spot. These others are all favorites but shouldn't be seen as being in any further order.

GRRM, though ASoIaF is the only work of his I've read.

Robert Jordan, I've been reading this WoT for so long it seems like I have forgotten to care what actually happens and simply view the books as places I enjoy visiting. I have never read any Conan or O'Neal or anything else of his.

Robin Hobb, I love all her work but Liveship Traders is my favorite. I have never read any Lindholm.

Michelle West, again I love all her work under the West name. I haven't read any Sagara or Sagara West books.

William Browning Spencer, I love every one of his books and stories and I am his only fan in the universe it sometimes seems. He is one of two authors whose work I love in total with no exceptions...the other being my favorite author of any genre, Jonathan Lethem.

Archived