All-time Fantasy top 5

Calibandar

1. GRRM

2. R. Scott Bakker. The Warrior Prophet was awesome.

3. Tolkein

4. Alastair Reynolds. Yeah it's sci-fi, but he still kicks ass.

5. Frank Herbert - Dune. But only Dune. the rest sucked ass.

(honorable mention: Kay, becuase I'm reading Al-Rassan right now & love it, as well as Hobb, whom I've read bits and pieces but haven't finished one of her "works' yet.

1. Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth)

That is all. Nothing else merits being anywhere close to this masterpiece on any top 5 list.

j/k. Seriously though.

1. R. Scott Bakker

2. Steven Erikson

3. GRRM

4. Robert Jordan

5. hmmm, maybe I'll go with Stephen King (the original Gunslinger, not the revised version)

GRRM and Erikson are sort of tied for second. We'll see how long that lasts considering I haven't read past Clash of Kings in ASOIAF. Wait, don't kill me now. It's a long story, but basically I read the first 2 right as Clash of Kings first came out, and loved them to death. Then, when Storm of Swords finally came out, I started reading them and went "Bloody hell, I don't remember who the hell any of these people are". Here is usually where I'd start rereading the whole series from the start again (I do this alot fyi), except when I looked over at GoT and CoC and saw how huge they were I said "Fuck this, I'll wait till he's done. I don't have THAT much time to read." My best friend who I introduced to the series though has been hounding me to finish it so he doesn't have to watch his tongue around me anymore, so that may not last.

As for The Gunslinger (original), I really oculdn't think of a 5th to add to the list. I like alot of other authors, but none up to the point that I think they'd fit on this list. So I threw this one up there. I like the Dark Tower series quite alot (although it does get slightly worse and worse as it goes on), and I don't mind the new, revised Gunslinger since it does fit in with the continuity of the series better, but the original will always have a special place on my bookshelf. There's something about the last chapter in that book that just sparks my imagination like nothing else. It's got this sense of the beginning of something so vast and grand that it's no surprise to me it couldn't be lived up to. But still, it really just makes my mind wander off into unimaginable realms.

1. Tolkien

2. Martin

3. Herbert

4. Le Guin

5. Elizabeth Hand

5 was a hard choice between Hand, Diana Wynne Jones and Neil Gaiman.

Hmm, lots of love for Graham Joyce even with his snide doctorate...

Tolkien (Hobbit, LOTR)

GRRM (ASOIAF)

Stephen King (Dark Tower Series)

Douglas Adams (Dirk Gently Novels)

Robert Rankin (The trilogy that dare not speak its name trilogy: Sprout Mask Replica, Dance of the Voodoo Handbag, Waiting for Godalming)

runners-up: Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Stephen R. Donaldson

Great board btw! :thumbsup:

Current in-between tally of the votes. Sofar the most people have voted for:

1) GRRM ( by a landslide, and expected)

2) JRRT ( I'm surprised he still ranks *this* high)

3) Scott Bakker ( another surprise to see him this high up)

4) Steven Erikson ( expected )

5) Guy Gavriel Kay

6) Robin Hobb

7) Terry Pratchett

Authors that I would have expected to have seen mentioned but sofar haven't, are for instance Holdstock, Lawhead, McKillip, Gentle, Gemmell, John C. Wright. Also a couple of renowned authors who are not really doing that well ( like Wolfe, or Vance, Keyes, Jones, Richard Adams, King, Jeff Ford).

Archived