Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 5

ctid1977

And this is why I doubt she will be. More likely, we'll see her the next hunt victim, so we can all go "oh wow, Ramsay is terrible," as if we needed that (Joffrey killing Ros, anyone?).

If she's in an episode as late as 5.09-5.10, I'd say that's most likely too late for the show to have room for more hunting.

I'm really hoping Myranda just takes the place of Yellow Dick et al. I could see them trying to retcon her into a sympathetic character in order to make her replace Jeyne Poole, but why make it harder for the audience to care about Theon's story line? The North is so important to the heart of the story, imo, so I really hope they have a suitable replacement for the Theon/Jeyne story.

Their story is one of my favorite parts of ADWD - that everyone is nobly trying to save Arya Stark, but Theon knows it's Jeyne Poole and still wants to save her anyway - but I understand that it's not possible to replicate that anymore. I still think Theon needs another human being reminding him of who he was before he became The Turncloack and then Reek, though. Or at least reminding him of who he could be, if it's someone who didn't know him in the past. And while Myranda could potentially fill the role of damsel in distress than Theon saves, I don't think she has the right impact for Theon as a character.

I'm really hoping Myranda just takes the place of Yellow Dick et al. I could see them trying to retcon her into a sympathetic character in order to make her replace Jeyne Poole, but why make it harder for the audience to care about Theon's story line? The North is so important to the heart of the story, imo, so I really hope they have a suitable replacement for the Theon/Jeyne story.

Their story is one of my favorite parts of ADWD - that everyone is nobly trying to save Arya Stark, but Theon knows it's Jeyne Poole and still wants to save her anyway - but I understand that it's not possible to replicate that anymore. I still think Theon needs another human being reminding him of who he was before he became The Turncloack and then Reek, though. Or at least reminding him of who he could be, if it's someone who didn't know him in the past. And while Myranda could potentially fill the role of damsel in distress than Theon saves, I don't think she has the right impact for Theon as a character.

:agree:

Finn Jones said he "believes Theon will become the hero he always wanted to be" which kind of implies that it will happen in some way. Trying to make us feel bad for Myranda so she can be fArya would almost surely not work, so I hope D&D haven't even considered it. We'll see.

Finn Jones said he "believes Theon will become the hero he always wanted to be" which kind of implies that it will happen in some way. Trying to make us feel bad for Myranda so she can be fArya would almost surely not work, so I hope D&D haven't even considered it. We'll see.

Exactly.

On a slightly different note, based on the "an extra again!" thread, are we just assuming that the Griffs are out? Because he said

"Varys and Tyrion are filming together." And he's playing the part of a freed slave. So if Aegon is a thing, then wth is Varys over near Dany-land?

Exactly.

On a slightly different note, based on the "an extra again!" thread, are we just assuming that the Griffs are out? Because he said

"Varys and Tyrion are filming together." And he's playing the part of a freed slave. So if Aegon is a thing, then wth is Varys over near Dany-land?

If this is true, thats kinda disappointing. Not just because Griffs are cut, but Varys doesn't seem to have a big plan. It does kinda make a problem for s6, as there will be no invasion unless they delay them till s6, not the best idea. I'm still going to remain optimistic till I hear otherwise that we will get YG

im not sure varys is going to be in meereen exactly. If tyrion is alone with jorah while on the rhoyne goign towads dany, where is varys? also, varys was spotted with littlefinger and roose at a convenient store and those storylines never cross. They could be using similar locations for pentos maybe? so varys is just in the area, or maybe another city in essos. Idk but i dont think this means varys will be in meereen.

Exactly.

I feel like we would have heard something by now if the Griffs were going to be in season 5, but I hate to think things are going to be that simplified. Given how Dorne's casting has shaken out, though, it does seem to follow that they prefer having characters straight up supporting Dany, with few or no reasons to consider turning against her. Maybe that way they'll get to the actual Battle for the Dawn with fewer loose ends to tie up?

It definitely diminishes Varys' skills as a planner/manipulator, but I guess they're just bringing him down to Littlefinger's level after last season's post-Lysa fiasco, lol.

Like I've said before, Myranda as part of Theon's redemption arc might have worked if her only bad deed had been her involvement in Theon's own torture. But the way they continued to portray her as pure evil last season, I really can't see it happening.

In fact, considering the way the show has treated its male pure evil characters (Joffrey, Karl, Rast, Season 4-Locke, Styr, Polliver, Rorge, Biter, etc...), having them redeem their only female pure evil character - which would be at least partially necessary for her to be part of Theon's redemption - would be a rather over the top affirmation of the old Bond-stereotype that female villains are somehow more redeemable than male villains.

So - while I really don't like the cathartic and often karmic death scenes these characters are usually getting - in the interest of gender equality I hope she does indeed die a grizzly death.

Exactly.

I already accepted that the Griffs are out. Interesting that Varys heads to Meereen, though.

Exactly.

He's an extra in Croatia (Split, I think?) so it doesn't necessarily have to be "near Dany-land" - could be Pentos.

Like I have said so often, delaying the griffs to the sixth season would probably be the best decision they could make. It would be a real shocking moment if Aegon landed on westeros and conquered storm's end before we even know him, but then suddenly see Varys support him. It would be a much better season starter then -anything- that happened on that boat in the fifth book.

Imo if Grr martin had cut that part of the story and only included Aegon when he landed adwd would be the best books of the series (in my humble opinion as I think everything outside of aegon's arc is just great in ADWD)

Like I have said so often, delaying the griffs to the sixth season would probably be the best decision they could make. It would be a real shocking moment if Aegon landed on westeros and conquered storm's end before we even know him, but then suddenly see Varys support him. It would be a much better season starter then -anything- that happened on that boat in the fifth book.

Imo if Grr martin had cut that part of the story and only included Aegon when he landed adwd would be the best books of the series (in my humble opinion as I think everything outside of aegon's arc is just great in ADWD)

I have to say I disagree. In my opinion they should introduce Aegon as soon as possible, or they shouldn't bother at all. In any case, the possibility (probability?) of cutting Aegon has grown on me since I realized how convoluted and misplaced that whole arc is going to be in TWOW and on.

Like I have said so often, delaying the griffs to the sixth season would probably be the best decision they could make. It would be a real shocking moment if Aegon landed on westeros and conquered storm's end before we even know him, but then suddenly see Varys support him.

The showrunners have already said that Varys' real plan will be revealed in season 5.

Archived