R+L =J v.105

Jon Weirgaryen

He would have to be Lyanna's son. If you work out the timeline from Jon's birth to Lyanna's "kiddnapping" by Rhaegar. Brandon was already died by the time Jon was born. Benjen was too young still...

I wonder if there was a Stark in Winterfell during Robert's Rebellion sometimes.

Lyanna was kidnapped. she was betrothed to Robert.

There were thousands, tens of thousand, perhaps hundreds of thousands of arranged marriages in the nobility through the thousand years of Middle Ages and people went through with them. That’s how you did it. It wasn’t questioned..--GRRM

http://entertainment...sy-and-history/

Robert and Dany both have Lyanna carried off at swordpoint...

Whatever happened after her kidnapping or how she felt about it.. is pretty much open ground.

Benjen was young...Not sure if that is too young to father a child. Benjen was the Stark in Winterfell for the rebellion...

Small nitpick, Hoster did not say to Brandon not to ride to KL. The "gallant fool" line is Hoster's reaction to when he learns that Brandon rode to KL, which is very different that telling Brandon not to ride to KL. Which completely changes a huge aspect of this hypothesis.

Ah that's a really good point. Brandon was away from Riverrun when Lyanna was taken. We don't know who told Brandon as of yet, but when Hoster heard what Brandon was doing, that was when he said the gallant fool part.

Me. I'm hoping that I don't have to hate the Kings of Winter when they say Jon, a half Stark anyway you turn it, has no right to be there. If he's a son of a Lord or Lady of Winterfell, he belongs there, just like Catelyn's offspring do. They probably had bastards as well, so he needs not be shunned.

So I'm hoping the Wolf Kings are just upset because there's a dragon egg there that they don't like, instead of a child. Lame if they aren't more mature than that.

It had better be so. :box: :fencing:

PS: Not meant as in going to hatch, but it can also prove legitimacy, the egg in the cradle thing.

He doesn't belong because he's not a Stark. His mother was a Stark, and he has Stark blood...but he's not a Stark. He thinks they are telling him to go away because he's a bastard...in truth, they are telling him to go away because he's a Targaryan.

I'm hoping that I don't have to hate the Kings of Winter when they say Jon, a half Stark anyway you turn it, has no right to be there.

He thinks they are telling him to go away because he's a bastard...in truth, they are telling him to go away because he's a Targaryan.

They tell him he does not belong in the crypts because he is not dead, yet.

If Jon is the King in the North, then he will be called the King in the North instead of the King of Winter. They mean the same thing, as far as I can tell.

When Robb was proclaimed KotN, Greatjon said it first, then Karstark follows him, then Maege Mormant calls out "The King of Winter!" So I think as far as the North is concerned, they're totally interchangeable.

They tell him he does not belong in the crypts because he is not dead, yet.

No, the text says:

He dreamt he was back in Winterfell, limping past the stone kings on their thrones. Their grey granite eyes turned to follow him as he passed, and their grey granite fingers tightened on the hilts of the rusted swords upon their laps. You are no Stark, he could hear them mutter, in heavy granite voices. There is no place for you here. Go away.

The Stone Kings are telling him specifically that he's not a Stark. He thinks it's because he's a bastard, when in truth, it's because he's a Targaryan.

It's ridiculous that they shun him, even if he's Stark on the wrong side. He shouldn't have to drop half of his family just because his father was the Targ, not his mother.

Unless they truly didn't even *want* a Targ marriage, even though they bent to them.

Childish motherf*.

No, it's just down to the fact that he's not a Stark. He's a Targaryan and does not belong in the Crypts of Winterfell. I don't think it's childish, it's just tradition.

No, it's just down to the fact that he's not a Stark. He's a Targaryan and does not belong in the Crypts of Winterfell. I don't think it's childish, it's just tradition.

If Jon has been raised as Rhaegar's true born, he most likely would have adopted more of the Targaryen customs, and obviously name.

Lyanna was kidnapped. she was betrothed to Robert.

There were thousands, tens of thousand, perhaps hundreds of thousands of arranged marriages in the nobility through the thousand years of Middle Ages and people went through with them. That’s how you did it. It wasn’t questioned..--GRRM

http://entertainment...sy-and-history/

Robert and Dany both have Lyanna carried off at swordpoint...

Whatever happened after her kidnapping or how she felt about it.. is pretty much open ground.

Benjen was young...Not sure if that is too young to father a child. Benjen was the Stark in Winterfell for the rebellion...

This doesn't preclude Rhaegar and Lyanna from running off, though. Martin's written unlikely storylines before. Like with Jeyne Westerling and Robb Stark. Robb was in an arranged marriage and eloped to marry out of sense of duty and possibly love. His grisly end is why people, historically, fell in line with their arranged marriages. Rhaegar and Lyanna running off together, unintentionally causing a war that costs family members on both side, and toppling the Targaryen dynasty as a result would fit his style. It shows why nobles wouldn't really run off together for the sake of love or prophecy or what not.

Archived