Small Questions v.10089

Jon Weirgaryen

What is the difference between a heart tree and a weirwood? Or are they the same thing?

A heart tree is the tree at the "heart" of a godswood, which is traditionally a weirwood. But not always, the heart tree at the Red Keep is an oak, for example.

There are plenty of weirwoods around, especially in the North, that aren't heart trees, because they're not at the centre of a godswood.

During that same fateful year, Ser Criston Cole was appointed to the Kingsguard to fill the place created by the death of the legendary Ser Ryam Redwyne. Born the son of a steward in service to Lord Dondarrion of Blackhaven, Ser Criston was a comely young knight of three-and-twenty years. He first came to the attention of the court when he won the melee held at Maidenpool in honor of King Viserys’s accession. In the final moments of the fight, Ser Criston knocked Dark Sister from Prince Daemon’s hand with his morningstar, to the delight of His Grace and the fury of the prince. Afterward, he gave the seven-year-old Princess Rhaenyra the victor’s laurel, and begged for her favor to wear in the joust. In the lists, he defeated Prince Daemon once again, and unhorsed both of the celebrated Cargyll twins, Ser Arryk and Ser Erryk of the Kingsguard, before falling to Lord Lymond Mallister.

"The victor's laurel".. That's the crown of the Queen of Love and Beauty, right? Even though it's not called by its name?

"The victor's laurel".. That's the crown of the Queen of Love and Beauty, right? Even though it's not called by its name?

I'm not sure. What gives me pause is that he won it in a melee before the jousting. In all the other examples we've seen the Queen of Love and Beauty was decided by jousting no? Jousting being the main event so to speak.

I'm just speculating here, but being a very romantic person I am exceptionally qualified to speculate about this. In fact you should accept my speculation as if it were canon here. The victor's laurel was a garland awarded to the winner of a competition at a tourney. Should the winner gallantly give the garland to a woman at the tourney she would be his queen of love and beauty. But of course THE queen of love and beauty would usually be decided by the jousting champ.

Why is the lord of Dorne called a prince instead of a lord?

It's a Roynish thing. When Dorne joined the Seven Kingdoms it was through marriage not conquest. Part of the deal was that Dornish law would always rule in Dorne.

Edit: Ninja'd

Why is the lord of Dorne called a prince instead of a lord?

Dorne had numerous petty kings until about 700 years before Aegon's Landing when the Valyrians conquered the Rhoynar on the Rhoyne River in Essos. Rhoynar refugees (The 10,000 Ships) led by Princess Nymeria sailed to Dorne, and Nymeria married Mors Martell (one of the powerful petty kings) and united Dorne under their rule. The Rhoynar style is to refer to the monarch as Prince or Princess, and it was adopted by the Dornish. :)

Did Jon's plan to leave the Wall and face Ramsay mean he was abandoning his NW post, and therefore mean his life was forfeit by law?

This amazing analysis of Jon's arc explains all:

http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/10/14/other-wars-part-i-jons-noble-heart-and-greater-duty/

:)

Did Jon's plan to leave the Wall and face Ramsay mean he was abandoning his NW post, and therefore mean his life was forfeit by law?

He was either abandoning his vows or taking up a tactically better position to defend the wall from attack from the South by meeting Ramsey in open country instead of with their backs against the wall.

But he is dead now so we'll never know

I think I missed something:

Dance, Tyrion I

"Do I dream, or do you speak the Common Tongue?"
"Yes, my lord. I was bought to please the king." She was blue-eyed and fair, young and willowy.

"Did you enjoy the girl I sent you?" Illyrio asked. "If I had wanted a girl I would have asked for one."
"If she failed to please ..."
"She did all that was required of her."
"I would hope so. She was trained in Lys, where they make an art of love. The king enjoyed her greatly."
"I kill kings, hadn't you heard?" Tyrion smiled evilly over his wine cup. "I want no royal leavings."

What King they are talking about?

I think I missed something:

Dance, Tyrion I

"Do I dream, or do you speak the Common Tongue?"

"Yes, my lord. I was bought to please the king." She was blue-eyed and fair, young and willowy.

"Did you enjoy the girl I sent you?" Illyrio asked. "If I had wanted a girl I would have asked for one."

"If she failed to please ..."

"She did all that was required of her."

"I would hope so. She was trained in Lys, where they make an art of love. The king enjoyed her greatly."

"I kill kings, hadn't you heard?" Tyrion smiled evilly over his wine cup. "I want no royal leavings."

What King they are talking about?

Probably Viserys, self-proclaimed King of 7K.

Probably not. He broke his vows.

I'm not sure if gate could recognize that Mance was former NW member. It was probably designed to ward against Others and wights, not against humans who deflected to Wildlings (that's why Coldhands can't pass). Reciting the NW words just seems to be a password.

Though, I guess it doesn't matter now. Even if Mance could pass, he obviously didn't know of the gates - else he could have just led his wildling army though them.

Probably not. He broke his vows.

I'm not sure if gate could recognize that Mance was former NW member. It was probably designed to ward against Others and wights, not against humans who deflected to Wildlings (that's why Coldhands can't pass). Reciting the NW words just seems to be a password.

Though, I guess it doesn't matter now. Even if Mance could pass, he obviously didn't know of the gates - else he could have just led his wildling army though them.

Thanks.

In a round about way that was my question. Would the gate recognize a NW member?

Archived