Small Questions v.10089

Jon Weirgaryen

1.Why can't Jojen breathe mud?

2.Had Ned met Cersei before?

3.Do you believe that Dunk should have thrown Walder on a well?

4.Do the timelines for R+L fit perfectly?

5.Silver Denys claimed to be the bastard son of Maegor The Cruel,the timelines obviously don't add up,is it possible however that he had Targaryen ancestry or another Targaryen father?

Not a small question in the bunch but here goes...

1. Cause he's paste.

2. Before Game, yes.

3. That would have been the murder of an innocent child so no.

4. This is Small Questions. The R+L=J is next door.

5. Yes it is possible.

1.Why can't Jojen breathe mud?

2.Had Ned met Cersei before?

3.Do you believe that Dunk should have thrown Walder on a well?

4.Do the timelines for R+L fit perfectly?

5.Silver Denys claimed to be the bastard son of Maegor The Cruel,the timelines obviously don't add up,is it possible however that he had Targaryen ancestry or another Targaryen father?

1. Can anyone breathe mud?

2. Yes. Ned recalls it in one of the first few chapters of a Game of Thrones

3. Should have? Perhaps. Would he ever..? No. But killing a child is not the solution. Raise the child to be different than the person he would otherwise have become, and you'll have an ally.

4. Yes, for as far as we have the information

5. The Targaryens and Velaryons have lived in that area for about 160 years prior to Maegor's death. There would have been plenty of Valyrian bastards on those islands. Could Denys descent from one of them? Sure. Maegor's son? No, agewise, that is rather unbelievable. And, of course, also because of other reasons..

1. Can anyone breathe mud?

Apparently Meera can:

“The gods give many gifts, Bran. My sister is a hunter. It is given to her to run swiftly, and stand so still she seems to vanish. She has sharp ears, keen eyes, a steady hand with net and spear. She can breathe mud and fly through trees. I could not do these things, no more than you could. To me the gods gave the green dreams, and to you... you could be more than me, Bran.

Edit: and Howland:

He grew up hunting and fishing and climbing trees, and learned all the magics of my people.”

Bran was almost certain he had never heard this story. “Did he have green dreams like Jojen?”

“No,” said Meera, “but he could breathe mud and run on leaves, and change earth to water and water to earth with no more than a whispered word. He could talk to trees and weave words and make castles appear and disappear.”

Huh... And yet Meera has never done such a thing...

Weird.

But as to why Jojen can't, it was the will of the gods, in that case.

I think i phrased my question poorly, sorry for that.

Once there was a curious lad who lived in the Neck. He was small like all crannogman, but brave and smart and strong as well. He grew up hunting and fishing and climbing trees, and learned all the magics of my people…he could breathe mud and run on leaves, and change earth to water and water to earth with no more than a whispered word. He could talk to trees and weave words and make castles appear and disappear…he donned a shirt sewn with bronze scales, like mine, took up a leather shield and a three pronged spear, like mine, and padded a little skin boat down the Green Fork. (ASOS 337-338).I guess this quote refers to Howland,i thought that the crannogmen can breathe mud because they have lived there for centuries and it's natural to think that they have adapted to the weather.Apparently Meera can breathe mud,Howland can but Jojen can't.This made me think that Jyanne might not be a crannogwoman and i wanted someone to give me an answer on this subject.

Once there was a curious lad who lived in the Neck. He was small like all crannogman, but brave and smart and strong as well. He grew up hunting and fishing and climbing trees, and learned all the magics of my people…he could breathe mud and run on leaves, and change earth to water and water to earth with no more than a whispered word. He could talk to trees and weave words and make castles appear and disappear…he donned a shirt sewn with bronze scales, like mine, took up a leather shield and a three pronged spear, like mine, and padded a little skin boat down the Green Fork. (ASOS 337-338).I guess this quote refers to Howland,i thought that the crannogmen can breathe mud because they have lived there for centuries and it's natural to think that they have adapted to the weather.Apparently Meera can breathe mud,Howland can but Jojen can't.This made me think that Jyanne might not be a crannogwoman and i wanted someone to give me an answer on this subject.

Dance Appendix:

his wife, JYANA, of the crannogmen

So about all we know about Jyana is that she is Howlands wife and a crannogwoman.

Dance Appendix:

So about all we know about Jyana is that she is Howlands wife and a crannogwoman.

-HOWLAND REED, Lord of Greywater Watch, a crannogman,

-his wife, Jyana, of the crannogmen,

Notice how it says a crannogman for HW and of for his wife.If Jyanna was from the Neck,wouldn't it be better if her name was stated as a crannogwoman?I would like to be proved wrong through.The Crannogmen have been adapting to breathing mud for hundreds of years, if not thousands, so why couldn't Jojen breath mud like all the rest?Also this is totally unrelated to the topic but is it anywhere stated what colour Jojen's eyes were before they turned into green?

Notice how it says a crannogman for HW and of for his wife.If Jyanna was from the Neck,wouldn't it be better if her name was stated as a crannogwoman?I would like to be proved wrong through.The Crannogmen have been adapting to breathing mud for hundreds of years, if not thousands, so why couldn't Jojen breath mud like all the rest?Also this is totally unrelated to the topic but is it anywhere stated what colour Jojen's eyes were before they turned into green?

You also say northmen, not northwomen. I think the same applies for crannogmen. You don´t say crannogwomen, and you can´t say Jyanna was a crannogmen, so she becomes of the crannogmen..

Well it could be because crannogwoman is not really a word. Ok I just got the new reply message and see Rhaenys explained it.

Is it possible that Benjen knows about R + L = J?

I remember reading that Benjen and Lyanna were close and there's no account of Benjen during RR. I'm wondering if Ned didn't just hand off Jon to Benjen to keep Jon safe (somewhat) when Ned is named HotK. It could be one of the reasons why Jon is named to the stewards and not the rangers.

Also do you think he could be the one to reveal R + L = J to Westeros if he ever returns?

It has been talked about a lot that all the Starks have warg powers but Jon and Robb and Sansa never/ have not yet figured out how to do it. I don't list Rickon because I fully believe he has good control over shaggy and would bet he can warg him now, tho I admit thats certainly not canon.

I remember reading that Benjen and Lyanna were close and there's no account of Benjen during RR. I'm wondering if Ned didn't just hand off Jon to Benjen to keep Jon safe (somewhat) when Ned is named HotK. It could be one of the reasons why Jon is named to the stewards and not the rangers.

Also do you think he could be the one to reveal R + L = J to Westeros if he ever returns?

It is possible, but we have to wait to find out.

Benjen was very young during the Rebellion, and he was the Stark in Winterfell.

Whether he knew or not, Ned knew he would take care of Jon at the Wall, though.

It is possible that he knows. It has been speculated before that Benjen took the black at such a young age because he felt guilty about everything that had happened during the war, because he partly blamed himself after helping Lyanna and Rhaegar keep in contact/help Lyanna get to Rhaegar.

Of course, we know nothing of Lyanna's location (Benjen was the Stark in Winterfell during the war, there was an SSM about that, IIRC) at the time she disappeared. Both her location at her disappearance, and Benjens (was he send back to Winterfell, or had he simply already been at Winterfell?) location for that specific moment in time are rather important, and currently unknown. All we know is that Benjen spend the actual war at Winterfell, and joined the NW shortly after Ned returned.

Ned was shocked about the idea of Jon joining the NW, so I doubt it was what Ned had had in mind. And Benjen disappeared relatively quickly, and most likely couldn't have requested such to the LC without giving a detailed and good explanation (and telling the truth is not an option).

As to Benjen being the one to reveal it all.. To Jon himself, perhaps, or to Bran (who then reveals it to Jon), but all of Westeros.. Not in his current position, at least. He kind of first needs to get south of the wall again, for that.

Huh... And yet Meera has never done such a thing...

Weird.

But as to why Jojen can't, it was the will of the gods, in that case.

I always read it that they're very good at sneaking around, and maybe there's even a hint of magic or superhuman power there. Kinda like Hobbitses going unnoticed underfoot.

I don't think the cranoggmen actually breathe mud. I think it is poetic licence. They probably use reeds! ;)

Archived