Small Questions v.10089

Jon Weirgaryen

So does the War of the Ninepenny Kings count as the fifth Blackfyre rebellion or was it five rebellions + Wot9PK?

Do we know anything at all about Rebellions 3 - 5? (2 was kind of pathetic to tell you the truth)

The War of the Ninepenny Kings is the fifth rebellion. I don't recall any info concerning the third rebellion but the fourth rebellion took place in 236AC and ended when Dunk killed Daemon III and Bittersteel retreated back across the Narrow Sea.

So does the War of the Ninepenny Kings count as the fifth Blackfyre rebellion or was it five rebellions + Wot9PK?

Do we know anything at all about Rebellions 3 - 5? (2 was kind of pathetic to tell you the truth)

War of the Ninepenny Kings counts as the fifth.

We've got the 1st in 196AC, 2nd in 212AC, 3rd as of yet at an unknown moment, 4rd in 236AC, and the 5th in 260AC

All we know about the 3rd, 4th and 5th is that Bittersteel should have died after the 4th (Yronwood rode 3 times with Bittersteel, in the 1st, not in the 2nd, not in the 5th, thus in the 3rd and 4th..)

He died in Essos, though, not in battle ;)

During the 4th, the pretender was named Daemon (Daemon III, killed by Dunk), though it is currently unknown who this Daemon was... A son of Haegon? A son of a younger son of Daemon I? Someone's grandson already? Maelys' father? Maelys' uncle? Maelys' cousin?

With half that family tree unknown, there are plenty of possibilities.

About the 3rd, we don't know anything.

How do you interpret the end of Feast 16, the talk between Jaime and Loras about the Kingsguard.

"A lot of brave men have worn the white cloak. Most have been forgotten."

"Most deserve to be forgotten. The heroes will always be remembered. The best."

"The best and the worst." So one of us is like to live in song. "And a few who were a bit of both. Like him." He tapped the page he had been reading.

"Who?" Ser Loras craned his head around to see. "Ten black pellets on a scarlet field. I do not know those arms."

"They belonged to Criston Cole, who served the first Viserys and the second Aegon." Jaime closed the White Book. "They called him Kingmaker."

What does that hint at ?

The only person who served Viserys in any way was Jorah, so I don't think we can look for an exact replication, but the implication that a Kings guard will be known as kingmaker seems to be there. I'm sure anyone who thinks Margery will marry Aegon will say it foreshadows Loras crowning him.

Edit: Re my earlier, I'm not sure my brain ever said "o there gonna claim he is aegon" but I did think to myself that this is someone who's gonna claim the thrown.

I'm guessing that it also shows that Jaime no longer wants to be the Kingslayer, instead looking at the history of the Kingmaker,

I agree with that, and with the foreshadowing mentioned by aryagonnakill#2. But apart of the foreshadowing, is there a reason Jaime is telling that specifically to Loras ? Does he want to send him a message ? Or it's just because it was Loras who by chance joined him in the White Tower ?

War of the Ninepenny Kings counts as the fifth.

We've got the 1st in 196AC, 2nd in 212AC, 3rd as of yet at an unknown moment, 4rd in 236AC, and the 5th in 260AC

All we know about the 3rd, 4th and 5th is that Bittersteel should have died after the 4th (Yronwood rode 3 times with Bittersteel, in the 1st, not in the 2nd, not in the 5th, thus in the 3rd and 4th..)

He died in Essos, though, not in battle ;)

During the 4th, the pretender was named Daemon (Daemon III, killed by Dunk), though it is currently unknown who this Daemon was... A son of Haegon? A son of a younger son of Daemon I? Someone's grandson already? Maelys' father? Maelys' uncle? Maelys' cousin?

With half that family tree unknown, there are plenty of possibilities.

About the 3rd, we don't know anything.

I love you. :wub:

Actually it's after, Tyrion beating Haldon at Cyvasse is in Dance 14, the previous Tyrion chapter.

If so, it's rather unusual. The prince's mention is not from Tyrion thoughts, it's from the narrative text. If it's really a hint, it's strangely given.

Well, if it's after Tyrion beat Haldon it's after Halfon confessed. And it is from Tyrion's perspective. Virtually everything in each chapter is from the POV's POV.

Well, if it's after Tyrion beat Haldon it's after Halfon confessed. And it is from Tyrion's perspective. Virtually everything in each chapter is from the POV's POV.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only exception is that weird moment in a Victarion chapter with the monkeys.

“The iron captain was not seen again that day, but as the hours passed the crew of his Iron Victory reported hearing the sound of wild laughter coming from the captain’s cabin, laughter deep and dark and mad, and when Longwater Pyke and Wulfe One-Eye tried the cabin door they found it barred. Later singing was heard, a strange high wailing song in a tongue the maester said was High Valyrian. That was when the monkeys left the ship, screeching as they leapt into the water.”

I'm gonna go with that, but don't you find it a bit strange ? Usually, in the narrative text, either the thougts of the POV are in italic, or the text is clearly a description of the POV's train of thought. But I don't remember other examples of bits of info given in purely narrative text, as "X said" or "Y replied".

I'm gonna go with that, but don't you find it a bit strange ? Usually, in the narrative text, either the thougts of the POV are in italic, or the text is clearly a description of the POV's train of thought. But I don't remember other examples of bits of info given in purely narrative text, as "X said" or "Y replied".

Yeah, but The George has an infuriating habit of dodging around an issue when a POV knows something he doesn't want the reader to know. See EVERY SINGLE EDDARD CHAPTER.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Tyrion suspects a few things that we do, even if suspicion is as far as it goes.

I think the use of italics is a bit random. But clearly the George is signaling Aegon's identity to is. Later he has a character describe him as the bright prince...

When is the last time in the books where Jaime explicitly notes Ser Illyn still bests him in their practice rounds?

I believe it's in Feast but I might be missing something:

That night he and Ser Ilyn fought for three hours. It was one of his better nights. If they had been in earnest, Payne only would have killed him twice. Half a dozen deaths were more the rule, and some nights were worse than that.

Archived