Small Questions v.10089

Jon Weirgaryen

Jaime has yet to beat ser Ilyn so its whenever the last time they fought was.

Julia Martell, there is another explicit example of the POV leaving the character, its when Danaerys is taken into the tent in AGOT. There is also another less explicit moment when GRRM refers to Danaerys as the most beautiful woman in the world in a Danaerys pov.

I'm gonna go with that, but don't you find it a bit strange ? Usually, in the narrative text, either the thougts of the POV are in italic, or the text is clearly a description of the POV's train of thought. But I don't remember other examples of bits of info given in purely narrative text, as "X said" or "Y replied".

Well, look at it this way. Hypothetical: Arya and Eddard meet the same man. Eddard knows the mans name, and in description shall thus call him such. In Eddard POV, for example, an action would be described as "That's when Yoren announced, "I'm leaving on the morrow". However, should this same event occur in an Arya chapter, and Arya doesn't know the mans name, the same action would be described as "That's when the man announced, "I'm leaving on the morrow.".

The same logic can be applied to Tyrion. Tyrion, by now, knows, or suspects, that Aegon is a prince, and thus, Aegon's actions can be described as "the prince did...."/"the prince said....". If a POV has no idea who someone is, the description given in that chapter will reflect that. If the POV does know who someone is, than description in the POV will reflect that. And in a sneaky way, that might indeed be the case with this Tyrion chapter.

Are there any other historical Lannister dwarves?

Not that I can recall.

The name Tyrion, though, does carry some negative historical value, as a specifically cruel King was called Tyrion.

When is the last time in the books where Jaime explicitly notes Ser Illyn still bests him in their practice rounds?

The last Jaime chapter in Feast, where they are mentioned to be practicing, and even though it is a good night for Jaime, Ser Ilyn still manages to defeat him multiple times.

Julia Martell, there is another explicit example of the POV leaving the character, its when Danaerys is taken into the tent in AGOT. There is also another less explicit moment when GRRM refers to Danaerys as the most beautiful woman in the world in a Danaerys pov.

Could you perhaps quote those?

^ Not right now, the very end of the Danaerys chapter when she is brought into the tent when MMD is doing whatever she's doing to Drogo.

“The Lamb Woman knows the secrets of the birthing bed,” Irri said. “She said so, I heard her.”

“Yes,” Doreah agreed, “I heard her too.”

No, she shouted, or perhaps she only thought it, for no whisper of sound escaped her lips. She was being carried. Her eyes opened to gaze up at a flat dead sky, black and bleak and starless. Please, no. The sound of Mirri Maz Duur’s voice grew louder, until it filled the world. The shapes! she screamed. The dancers!

Ser Jorah carried her inside the tent.”

Sorry, but there's nothing out of close third person here.

Sorry, but there's nothing out of close third person here.

You are right, and I am stunned because I know that many people on this forum have talked about Danys POV leaving her in that scene. However I did confirm the other minor part I mentioned earlier, sometimes in Danaerys POV it does seem like we get an omniscient view of her, or at least thats how it reads to me.

US paperback page 806 Danaerys is already in the fire and yet we get this description "with a belch of flame and smoke that reached thirty feet into the sky"

at the very bottom of the page "As Danaerys Targaryen rose to her feet"

Thats not a thought a person has about themselves, Danaerys does not seem to be describing the scene here, however idk if GRRM really intended it that way or not.

Those are the 2 most concrete examples but everything after Danaerys thought "Don't you SEE!" near the top of 806, reads as omniscient view. Dany is referred to as "her" multiple times, and we do not get a single thought of hers.

You are right, and I am stunned because I know that many people on this forum have talked about Danys POV leaving her in that scene. However I did confirm the other minor part I mentioned earlier, sometimes in Danaerys POV it does seem like we get an omniscient view of her, or at least thats how it reads to me.

US paperback page 806 Danaerys is already in the fire and yet we get this description "with a belch of flame and smoke that reached thirty feet into the sky"

at the very bottom of the page "As Danaerys Targaryen rose to her feet"

Thats not a thought a person has about themselves, Danaerys does not seem to be describing the scene here, however idk if GRRM really intended it that way or not.

Those are the 2 most concrete examples but everything after Danaerys thought "Don't you SEE!" near the top of 806, reads as omniscient view. Dany is referred to as "her" multiple times, and we do not get a single thought of hers.

Can you clarify what you mean by this please? Because we certainly see her thoughts...

ETA; or do you just mean on this page?

Also, we see "rose to his/her feet, put on his/her sword" etc. all of the time. in POVs

But if they spar every night and if it's been a while since Jaime described his performance vis a vis Illyn it's possible he's improving to the point where he can duel toe to toe with Illyn by the time he sets out with Brienne.

Helena I mean on pages 806 and 807 after she thinks "Don't you see" we do not get any more thoughts from her until her next chapter, only descriptions that to me read as though they are Jorahs or an omnipotent view.

And yes we do see the term his or hers but if we were in Jaimes pov it wouldn't read "Jaime Lannister removed his golden hand" It would read "He removed his golden hand"

Aerion is older. Aemon was the third son, Duncan the first. Duncan gave up his throne for Jenny of Oldstones. Aerion (who was the 2nd son) died of drinking wildfire, believing it would transform him into a dragon... Aemon the 3rd son was offered the crown but refused, so Aegon became king. He was called Aegon the Unlikely, because not only he was fourth son, his father was also a fourth son.

Aerion is older. Aemon was the third son, Duncan the first. Duncan gave up his throne for Jenny of Oldstones. Aerion (who was the 2nd son) died of drinking wildfire, believing it would transform him into a dragon... Aemon the 3rd son was offered the crown but refused, so Aegon became king. He was called Aegon the Unlikely, because not only he was fourth son, his father was also a fourth son.

Duncan the Small is Aegon V's son, not his elder brother.

The brother you're missing to have Maekar's four sons is Daeron the Drunk.

Here is a small question. Are all of Dany's dragons male? I've always gotten the impression they were. Also if they are all male kind of a shame ones not a female to be able to lay more eggs. Unless male dragons can lay eggs too but I don't know. Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a small question. Are all of Dany's dragons male? I've always gotten the impression they were. Also if they are all male kind of a shame ones not a female to be able to lay more eggs. Unless male dragons can lay eggs too but I don't know. Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks.

According to Septon Barth, dragons are neither male nor female.

What fools we were, who thought ourselves so wise! The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years.

Archived