Moments of Foreshadowing 10

Lost Melnibonean

In a bloody betrayal, the Dornish attacked the Young Dragonand his retinue beneath the peace banner.

Daeron I, TWOIAF

was this just an echo of Ramsay's treachery at Moat Cailin, or will we see a similar event in Dance of Daenerys and Aegon?

• 2 weeks later...

I just reread the part where gilly asks jon if he'll take her back to the wall because his brother is a king and she heard that kings protect the weak so we have a wildling(weak/vulnerable) needing a kings protection on the other side of the wall and what does jon do in ADWD? He starts to save all the vulnerable when is it gonna be confirmed God damn

Yet the huge man [Robert] at the head of the column, flanked by two knights in the snow-white cloaks of the Kingsguard, seemed almost a stranger to Ned …

“The king is a stranger to you.” Catelyn remembered the direwolf dead in the snow, the broken antler lodged deep in her throat.

Being stranger to someone is equal to causing his/her death. This is a clear foresahdowing to Ned's death because of Robert's making him Hand.

BTW, Cat was not present in the execution of Gared yet she remembers the dead direwolf and the stag. Is that a mistake?

I don't think its a mistake. She was obviously told about it. They would have to explain the sudden appearance of 6 direwolves at Winterfell.

I actually thought the dead direwolf mother foreshadowed Catelyn's death. She is the mother of five children and stepmother to one. The mother was still nourishing her pups even though she was dead and Cat tries to avenge hers even though she is dead. The antler in the direwolve's throat clearly foreshadows a war between their houses which came true.

I was thinking that perhaps the story of Bael the Bard may have been some foreshadowing of Lord Baelish's plans. In the story, Bael was a singer who decieves a Stark lord and steals their daughter.

Lord Baelish, whose sigil is a mockingbird (a bird known for mimicking other bird's songs, somewhat similarly to a certain bard) deceives Lord Eddard Stark, and eventually steals his daughter.

There is also clearly the obvious similarity between the name Bael and Baelish. Could be an obvious hint that Baelish will do some Bael-ish things.

Hopefully this doesn't mean Littlefinger will put a baby in Sansa's belly as Bael did with his Stark girl.

Oh man...if this is the case...poor Sansa. If she had to marry Tyrion, a dwarf and tied to the family that killed many within her own, and THEN has to get impregnated by Baelish...poor, poor girl.

Personally I think she's going to get the better of him. I hope so. I don't particularly love Sansa, although I'm pretty loyal to the Starks, but I can't STAND Petyr. He, Cersei, and Frey need to die. Someone show me some foreshadowing of those three dying and I'll be a happy man.

He was chilled and feverish, and suddenly the weight of the longbow was too much. The battle with the Magnar has been nothing, he realized, and the night fight less than nothing, only a probe, a dagger in the dark to catch them unprepared. The real battle was only now beginning. A Storm of Swords, Chapter 64, Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Ginger appears to be an omen of death. Below are the only times that "ginger" appears in the ASoIaF series in reference to food.

It's first appearance takes place when Tyrion is introduced to the wildfire that he will later utilize against Stannis' fleet.

ACoK Tyrion V:

They were under the hills of Rhaenys, behind the Guild of the Alchemists. The damp stone walls were splotchy with nitre, and the only light came from the sealed iron-and-glass oil lamp that Hallyne the Pryomancer was carried so gingerly. Gingerly indeed ...and these would be ginger jars.

It also appears in association with Jaqen H'ghar, the Faceless Man that befriends Arya, as he asks her choose three deaths to appease the Red God.

ACoK Arya VII:

He laid a finger on her lips. "Three lives shall you have of me. No more, no less. Three and we are done. So a girl must ponder." He kissed her hair softly. "But not too long."

By the time Arya lit her stub of a candle, only a faint smell remained of him, a whiff of ginger and cloves lingering in the air.

Tyrion eats ginger-spiced food during the infamous "Purple Wedding."

ASoS Tyrion VIII:

Tyrion suffered through it [Collio Quaynis of Tyrosh's singing] with a double helping of honey-ginger partridge and several cups of wine.

Ginger in this case might foreshadow Jon Connington's soon-to-come infection with greyscale or possibly that Illyrio's plot to put Aegon on the throne will ultimately lead to the latter's death.

ADwD Tyrion III:
"There is a gift for the boy [Aegon] in one of the chests. Some candied ginger. He was always fond of it."

Daenerys is eating ginger soup just before she encounters the first case of the Pale Mare.

ADwD Daenerys V:

But there was much and more to fear as she learned that evening. As her young hostages Miklaz and Kazmya were laying out a simple supper of autumn greens and ginger soup for her, Irra came to tell her that Galazza Galare had returned, with three Blue Graces from the temple. "Grey Worm is come as well, Khaleesi. They beg words with you, most urgently."

Grey Worm began the tale. "He came out of the morning mists, a rider on a pale mare, dying. Her rider was staggering as he approached the city gates, her sides pink with blood and lather, her eyes rolling with terror. Her rider called out, 'She is burning, she is burning,' and fell from the saddle. This one was sent for, and gave orders that the rider be brought to the Blue Graces. When your servants carried him inside the gates, he cried out again, 'She is burning." Under his tokar he was a skeleton, all bones and fevered flesh."

There's also a mention of "ginger" in one of Areo Hotah's chapters. I can't pinpoint what exactly it might be foreshadowing, but most likely it's Hotah himself.

AFFC Captian of the Guard:
He sat upon the narrow bed and found his whetstone and oilcloth in their niche, and set to work. Keep your longaxe sharp, the bearded priests had told him, the day they branded him. He always did. ... [remembering Norvos] The taste of wintercake filled his mouth again, rich with ginger and pine nuts and bits of cherry. ... Only when both edges were sharp enough to shave with did the captain lay his ash-and-iron wife down on the bed. ... I should have gathered up the oranges* that fell, he thought, and went to sleep thinking of the tart sweet taste of them, and the sticky feel of the red juice on his fingers.

(*the blood oranges in the garden)

Aegon's fate...

On his deathbed, Ser Aegor Rivers had famously commanded his men to boil the flesh from his skull, dip it in gold, and carry it before them when they crossed the sea to retake Westeros. His successors had followed his example.

The Lost Lord, Dance 24

North of Yi Ti, the windswept plains and rolling hills that stretch from the Golden Empire's frontiers to the desolate shores of the shivering sea are dominated by a race of mounted warriors called the Jogos Nhai. Like the Dothraki...

...A thousand rival clans joined together and raised up a jhattar [the jhat of jhats and war leader of the whole people], a woman in man's mail named Zhea the barren...

...Zhea isolated each of Lo Bu's thirteen armies ... and destroyed them each in turn...

...Amongst the slain was Lo Bu himself... When his severed head was presented to Zhea, she commanded that the flesh be stripped from the bone, so that his skull might be dipped in gold and made into her drinking cup. From that time to this, every jhattar of the Jogos Nhai has drunk fermented zorse milk from the gilded skull of the Boy Too Bold By Half...

The Plains of the Jogos Nhai, TWOIAF

Had me thinking of Arya Horseface. Yet another possible association between the two characters...

Yes, Arya was the first thing came to my mind, so I didnot make the connection to Dany. What is interesting is that Jogos Nhai also seem to have a prophecy that a jhattar (khal of khals for the Dothraki) will unite them all and lead them to more fertile lands through the Bone Mountains. The Stallion prophecy looks like a perverted and distorted version of this prophecy, just like the Dothraki seem to be a perverted form of Jogos Nhai culture.

Yes, Arya was the first thing came to my mind, so I didnot make the connection to Dany. What is interesting is that Jogos Nhai also seem to have a prophecy that a jhattar (khal of khals for the Dothraki) will unite them all and lead them to more fertile lands through the Bone Mountains. The Stallion prophecy looks like a perverted and distorted version of this prophecy, just like the Dothraki seem to be a perverted form of Jogos Nhai culture.

Ueah that's the first thing that clicked for me but the skull leaped off the page.

Archived