Moments of Foreshadowing 10

Lost Melnibonean

The north shore was wilder. High rocky bluffs rose twenty feet above them, crowned by stands of beech, oak and chestnut. Jaime spied a watchtower on the heights ahead, growing taller with every stroke of the oars. Long before they were upon it, he knew that it stood abandoned, its weathered stones overgrown with climbing roses.

A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.

Brings to mind an abandoned tower in Dorne that contained roses. What's more it is on the north side. It's growing taller, and what's more it is described as "crowned."

Nice to see you again. I suspect that when Daenerys returns to the Seven Kingdoms it will be as Tyrion described it...

Tyrion VI, Dance 22

Aegon will get the green dragon and Tyrion or Brown Ben will have the white one. When Aegon and Daenerys begin to dance, Tyrion with betray her for Aegon.

Nice to see you again too.

Except Aegon's party wouldn't accept a guy who had just proven himself to be untrustworthy. I highly doubt Tyrion would go on a long trek/journey to meet up with Dany just to betray her. He has nowhere else to go. I think BBP will get Rhaegal, and then the greens will poison him under the guise of making a deal, and Arianne will take Rhaegal.

Varys knows that Tyrion is resourceful. A dragon can change the tide of the battle, something Stannis said IIRC. This will be proven in the early victories of Dany. So, team fAegon might try to convert Tyrion if things start going sour in team Dany. There is the possibility that Dany might be betrayed by her dragonrider(s) just like Rhaenyra.

We should also remember that it is quite likely that team Dany will be somewhat a triumvirate with the introduction of the two dragonriders. That means Dany will not be the ultimate decision-maker or ultimate authority in the new blacks.

Connington opposed Tyrion from the start. Also, being a kinglsayer and kinslayer doesn't exactly make him "Mr. Popular." It is Dany they want not Tyrion. They will see Tyrion as having proven himself to be untrustworthy. I think BBP would ride Rhaegal for a while, and be the one to betray Dany. I think it will go with Rhaegal's previous riders being betrayed and killed by the next riders.

So if you accept other foreshadowing that the white dragon is headed toward Tyrion, perhaps Ulf the White's actions in TP&TQ foreshadows that Tyrion will betray Dany in Dance v.2.0. Somebody has to betray Dany for gold. Why not for all the gold of Casterly Rock?

Except Dany will likely already give him CR. BBP is more Ulf the Sot, and I thought she was already betrayed for gold when BBP left her. Also, doing that would mark Tyrion as untrustworthy, and Aegon's party would likely have him killed.

Tyrion wouldn't abandon the girl Penny, and I doubt he would abandon Dany in that regard.

"There is no wine so sweet as wine taken from a foe. One day I shall drink your wine, Crow’s Eye, and take from you all that you hold dear."

Victarion.

“Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear.”

Maggy the Frog.

Victarion.

Maggy the Frog.

Nice. The manipulated younger sibling is the one to take what the elder one holds dear. And a woman is the root of the problems between these two siblings. In Jaime and Cersei's case, a woman will drive the final wedge between them and that one will be Brienne and/or Sansa.

Viserion will eat Reznak mo Reznak.

ADwD, Tyrion IV:

To the east, the first pale light of day suffused the sky above the river. The waters of the Rhoyne slowly went from black to blue, to match the sellsword's hair and beard. Griff got to his feet. "The others should wake soon. The deck is yours." As the nightingales fell silent, the river larks took up their song. Egrets splashed amongst the reeds and left their tracks across the sandbars. The clouds in the sky were aglow: pink and purple, maroon and gold, pearl and saffron. One looked like a dragon. Once a man has seen a dragon in flight, let him stay at home and tend his garden in content, someone had written once, for this wide world has no greater wonder. Tyrion scratched at his scar and tried to recall the author's name. Dragons had been much in his thoughts of late.

Pink and purple are a color combination associated with dawn in the series.

Maroon and gold are the colors of Reznak's tokar. In the entire series, maroon is only mentioned 7 times: once in the above scene as a color in the sky; the others, as the color of Reznak's tokar.

Pearl and saffron are the colors of Viserion's scales.

"Tyrion scratched at his scar..." Tyrion often scratches his scar when something suspicious occurs.

I love this one, really do.

MY LORDS! Here is what I say to these two kings! Renly Baratheon is nothing to me, nor Stannis neither. Why should they rule over me and mine, from some flowery seat in Highgarden or Dorne? What do they know of the Wall or the wolfswood or the barrows of the First Men? Even their gods are wrong. The Others take theLannisters too, I’ve had a bellyful of them. Why shouldn’t we rule ourselves again? It was the dragons we married, and the dragons are all dead! There sits the only king I mean to bow my knee to, m’lords. The King in the North![7]

He saved the wall, and now is strugglingg trough the wolfswood to free Winterfell... also he lernt about obsidian and the others...

The height of folly was reached when a plump fool came capering out in gold-painted tin with a cloth lion's head, and chased a dwarf around the tables, whacking him over the head with a bladder. Finally King Renly demanded to know why he was beating his brother. "Why, Your Grace, I'm the Kinslayer," the fool said.

"It's Kingslayer, fool of a fool," Renly said, and the hall rang with laughter.

Maybe I am being too literal, but I think this supports A+J=C+J because if that’s true, then Jamie would be kinslayer for killing Aerys. OR it could mean that Jamie will being kinslayer in some other way. Personally, I think he is the valonqar and that he likely, unknowingly, killed his sire.

Found this morsel on my latest reread and laughed. This had to be an intentional nod to the future Reekening, right?

Yes. Now, if you believe that the George has the whole kit and caboodle written out, at least in draft form, but is waiting to maximize interest and profits and sufficient breaks for food and diversions, please raise your hand.

• 3 weeks later...

So Jaime is our Dragonknight making his cousin Lancel, the newly devout, thin, white haired visionary a fitting Baelor. Jaime is also Criston Cole.

Jaime will be defeated by Jon's forces when they come South as Cole was defeated by the Winter Wolves, but unlike Cole Jaime won't be killed. Jon is coming south to force a realm wide alliance against the Others, a new pact, North and South, Ice and Fire, killing the LC of the KG and Hand of the King isn't good politics. Jaime will be set free, again, to facilitate in creating the pact, which Jaime will be determined to do having become a 'for the realm' man.

Lancel, however, will not be keen on the alliance with Jon's heathen army made up of followers of the Drowned God, the Old Gods, R'hllor and probably more. And with Lancel having become the HS his position will prove a major hurdle to such a pact.

Others have suggested that Viserys poisoned Baelor for the good of the realm, since the septon-king had come to believe that the Seven called on him to convert all the unbelievers in his realm. This would have led to war with the North and the Iron Islands that would have caused great turmoil.

And there it is.

"Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical." he told Haldon, "the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble."

Thankfully for the realm this is the sort of thing Jaime was made for, surrendering his honour and carrying the burden of the realm on his shoulders.

"I dreamed that you would come. In the dream you knew what I had done. How I'd sinned. You killed me for it."

Lancel has the right of it, just he's a little too early and not with the right reason. As it was rumoured Baelor was poisoned, despite it not being his way, Jaime will for once take the coward's way out for murdering his own cousin.

"The brave man slays with a sword, the craven with a wineskin. We are both Kingslayers, ser."

And then things run into another piece of foreshadowing, the Hour of the Wolf. As Clegane Stark's arrival in KL is imminent at the end of the first Dance, someone poisons Aegon II. Clegane basically names himself Hand and sets about judging everyone, particularly concerned with the poisoner of Aegon. Jon will have his own Hour of the Wolf when he gets to KL, and the poisoner of Baelor will see judgement. The wolf will judge the lion, and thus how all the foreshadowing of Jaime taking the black will be realised.

The eunuch should never have been pardoned. No more than the Kingslayer. At the least, Robert should have stripped the white cloak from him and sent him to the Wall as Lord Stark urged.

And late in thread 9, "Dreams and prophecies" posted this:

Since there are some pointers Tyrion may become king somehow (Jon's "his shadow stood tall as a king" and similar observations from Aemon, Moqorro and to a lesser extent the Viserys II exchange between Oberyn and Tyrion), this passage could yet be about Sansa's situation in later books. Especially if Sansa would still not be particularly happy about marriage to Tyrion and she could entertain an affair of kinds with Sandor. Though maybe that would be too close to what Cersei did, even if she would make sure any children would be her husbands.

Another possibility, as the new Sandor isn't likely to do hateful things, perhaps the rest of the quote is similarly wrong in a purposeful manner. It may be Sansa is not thankful Sandor stands between her and Tyrion, rather it's to her dismay as the newly honourable Sandor may end up protecting Tyrion from her.

“The Kingslayer, yes. The oathbreaker who murdered poor sad Aerys Targaryen.” Jaime snorted. “It’s not Aerys I rue, it’s Robert. ‘I hear they’ve named you Kingslayer,’ he said to me at his coronation feast. ‘Just don’t think to make it a habit.’ And he laughed. Why is it that no one names Robert oathbreaker? He tore the realm apart, yet I am the one with shit for honor.”

“Robert did all he did for love.” Water ran down Brienne’s legs and pooled beneath her feet.

The bolded part might be foreshadowing to the waters breaking before childbirth, which will be Jaime's of course.

Is there any potential foreshadowing of Jaime joining Jon at the Wall? I'm assuming he's Cersei's valonqar and that he'll help Aegon, whom he'll believe is Rhaegar's son. But of course Aegon would never allow the Kingslayer to serve in his Kingsguard...

Is there any potential foreshadowing of Jaime joining Jon at the Wall? I'm assuming he's Cersei's valonqar and that he'll help Aegon, whom he'll believe is Rhaegar's son. But of course Aegon would never allow the Kingslayer to serve in his Kingsguard...

He must die alognside Cersei... there is plenty of foreshadowing of them dying together.

my guess with the Red Keep burning down.

“The Kingslayer, yes. The oathbreaker who murdered poor sad Aerys Targaryen.” Jaime snorted. “It’s not Aerys I rue, it’s Robert. ‘I hear they’ve named you Kingslayer,’ he said to me at his coronation feast. ‘Just don’t think to make it a habit.’ And he laughed. Why is it that no one names Robert oathbreaker? He tore the realm apart, yet I am the one with shit for honor.”

“Robert did all he did for love.” Water ran down Brienne’s legs and pooled beneath her feet.

The bolded part might be foreshadowing to the waters breaking before childbirth, which will be Jaime's of course.

I just realized a connection between these two. Dunk and Lady Rohan had a sort of unrequited love in A Sworn Sword. If Jaime and Brienne should end up in a relationship, they would of sorts be fulfilling their ancestors desires. (Brienne being Dunk's descendant and Jaime being Rohan's.)

Could this foreshadow Jon encountering Daenerys?

It was nice under the trees. Bran kept Dancer to a walk, holding the reins lightly and looking all around him as they went. He knew this wood, but he had been so long confined to Winterfell that he felt as though he were seeing it for the first time. The smells filled his nostrils; the sharp fresh tang of pine needles, the earthy odor of wet rotting leaves, the hints of animal musk and distant cooking fires. He caught a glimpse of a black squirrel moving through the snow-covered branches of an oak, and paused to study the silvery web of an empress spider.

Bran V, Game 37

Or maybe it forehadows the black dragon dancing with Daenerys?

I think it foreshadows the North's eventual support of Daenerys in the Second Dance of the Dragons...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/118181-we-will-march-into-the-sea-and-out-again-under-the-waves-we-will-ride-seahorses-and-mermaids-will-blow-seashells-to-announce-our-coming-oh-oh-oh/

He must die alognside Cersei... there is plenty of foreshadowing of them dying together.

my guess with the Red Keep burning down.

Something that really stands out to me is the account of Summerhall (or what's left of the account). Perhaps Jaime saves someone at his own peril like Dunk.

"Toad. Stone Head. Aurochs. Lover. Pimple. Monkey. Ser Loon." Last, he looked at Jon. "And the Bastard."

Pyp let fly a whoop and thrust his sword into the air. Ser Alliser fixed him with a reptile stare. "They will call you men of Night's Watch now, but you are bigger fools than the Mummer's Monkey here if you believe that. You are boys still, green and stinking of summer, and when the winter comes you will die like flies."

Jon V, Game 41

Will they? Daeron is dead, and Jon maybe dying, but Toad and Halder are at the Shadow Tower, Grenn and Pypar are at Eastwatch, and, presumably, Albet and Matthar are still at Castle Black. Im guessing those last six characters survive until after the Second Dance of the Dragons ends and the War for the Dawn begins.

Archived