Moments of Foreshadowing 10

Lost Melnibonean

Jon V, Game 41

Will they? Daeron is dead, and Jon maybe dying, but Toad and Halder are at the Shadow Tower, Grenn and Pypar are at Eastwatch, and, presumably, Albet and Matthar are still at Castle Black. Im guessing those last six characters survive until after the Second Dance of the Dragons ends and the War for the Dawn begins.

Ha! Ser Loon? It's seems we have a Ser Duck and a Ser Loon now. I wonder what other "Ser birds" we'll get in the series?

A very, very early hint that Tyrion would be riding or exerting influence over Viserion in the Vale?

They had taken shelter beneath a copse of aspens just off the high road. Tyrion was gathering deadwood while their horses took water from a mountain stream. He stooped to pick up a splintered branch and examined it critically. "Will this do? I am not practiced at starting fires. Morrec did that for me."

Tyrion VI, Game 42

The bark of Aspens is white. And how funny is Tyrion's lack of practice starting fires, given what he would do to the Blackwater Rush?

How 'bout this...

"It was your blade I needed," Tyrion said, "not your love." He dumped his armful of wood on the ground.

Bronn grinned. "You're bold as any sellsword, I'll give you that."

Tyrion VI, Game 42

"There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but no old bold sellswords."

Brown Ben to Daenerys, Daenerys V, Storm 57

Foreshadows Tyrion gambling in battle and losing, leading to his death. He got lucky on the Blackwater.

The George loves betrayal. From Petyr betraying The Ned to the Ides of Marsh. In The House of the Undying Ones, we were told that Daenerys would know three treasons, so these three treasons better be pretty big. My guess is they will happen at once or in rapid succession, Illyrio for blood, Tyrion for gold, and Aegon for love, but whatever they are, they need to be real game changers.

And I think this foreshadows that they will lead to her death...

It was queer how sometimes a child's innocent eyes can see things that grown men are blind to. Someday, when Sansa was grown, he would have to tell her how she had made it all come clear for him. He's not the least bit like that old drunken king, she had declared, angry and unknowing, and the simple truth of it had twisted inside him, cold as death. This was the sword that killed Jon Arryn, Ned thought then, and it will kill Robert as well, a slower death but full as certain. Shattered legs may heal in time, but some betrayals fester and poison the soul.

Eddadrd XII, Game 45

Consider this . . .

"Once there were two moons in the sky, but one wandered too close to the sun and cracked from the heat. A thousand thousand dragons poured forth, and drank the fire of the sun. That is why dragons breathe flame. One day the other moon will kiss the sun too, and then it will crack and the dragons will return."

The two Dothraki girls giggled and laughed. "You are foolish strawhead slave," Irri said. "Moon is no egg. Moon is god, woman wife of sun. It is known."

Daenerys III, Game 23

And this . . .

"I pray that my sun-and-stars will not keep him waiting too long," she told Ser Jorah when her brother was out of earshot.

Daenerys IV, Game 36

And this . . .

Khal Drogo looked down at her. His face was a copper mask, yet under the long black mustache, drooping beneath the weight of its gold rings, she thought she glimpsed the shadow of a smile. "Is good name, Dan Ares wife, moon of my life," he said.

Daenerys V, Game 46

Now, check out this . . .

They rode to the lake the Dothraki called the Womb of the World, surrounded by a fringe of reeds, its water still and calm. A thousand thousand years ago, Jhiqui told her, the first man had emerged from its depths, riding upon the back of the first horse.

The procession waited on the grassy shore as Dany stripped and let her soiled clothing fall to the ground. Naked, she stepped gingerly into the water. Irri said the lake had no bottom, but Dany felt soft mud squishing between her toes as she pushed through the tall reeds. The moon floated on the still black waters, shattering and re-forming as her ripples washed over it. Goose pimples rose on her pale skin as the coldness crept up her thighs and kissed her lower lips. The stallion's blood had dried on her hands and around her mouth. Dany cupped her fingers and lifted the sacred waters over her head, cleansing herself and the child inside her while the khal and the others looked on. She heard the old women of the dosh khaleen muttering to each other as they watched, and wondered what they were saying.

Daenerys V, Game 46

"Don't act the boy with me, Bran," Robb said. "You know better than that. Only two days ago one of Lord Bolton's men knifed one of Lord Cerwyn's at the Smoking Log. Our lady mother would skin me for a pelt if I let you put yourself at risk."

Bran VI, Game 53

Foreshadows sack of Winterfell, where Bolton turned on Cerwyn, and turned Winterfell into a smoking ruin. With hindsight Robb left Bran and Rickon at risk, and there was some skinning.

It was mentioned in another thread Robb's personal sigil is a direwolf's head. Wow, I never noticed that before. Also: foreshadowing out the butt.

"Our lady mother would skin me for a pelt if I let you put yourself at risk."

And then there's the fact that Robb was killed by a Bolton and was practically skinned by the Freys so that they could put Greywind's head on his shoulders.

What's up with Ulf the White in TP&TQ? That's an odd name, no? He was so called because of his pale blond hair.

Then he saw the other one, waddling along half-hidden by his brother's side. Tyrion Lannister, the youngest of Lord Tywin's brood and by far the ugliest. All that the gods had given to Cersei and Jaime, they had denied Tyrion. He was a dwarf, half his brother's height, struggling to keep pace on stunted legs. His head was too large for his body, with a brute's squashed-in face beneath a swollen shelf of brow. One green eye and one black one peered out from under a lank fall of hair so blond it seemed white. Jon watched him with fascination.

Ulf the White slept through the second battle of Tumbleton.

Tyrion went to sleep smiling . . .. . . and woke in darkness to the blare of trumpets. Shae was shaking him by the shoulder. "M'lord," she whispered. "Wake up, m'lord. I'm frightened."Groggy, he sat up and threw back the blanket. The horns called through the night, wild and urgent, a cry that said hurry hurry hurry. He heard shouts, the clatter of spears, the whicker of horses, though nothing yet that spoke to him of fighting. "My lord father's trumpets," he said. "Battle assembly. I thought Stark was yet a day's march away."Shae shook her head, lost. Her eyes were wide and white.Groaning, Tyrion lurched to his feet and pushed his way outside, shouting for his squire.

Ok, ok, so Tyrion did not sleep through the fighting but he had to be roused by a whore.

Ulf the White was a drunkard who enjoyed diddling whores.

"Do you need a woman so badly, Yollo?" "A man grows weary of having no lovers but his fingers."

He needed wine. A lot of wine. He seized the flagon with both hands and raised it to his lips. The wine ran red. Down his throat, down his chin. It dripped from his beard and soaked the feather bed. In the candlelight it looked as dark as the wine that had poisoned Joffrey. When he was done he tossed the empty flagon aside and half-rolled and half-staggered to the floor, groping for a chamber pot. There was none to be found. His stomach heaved, and he found himself on his knees, retching on the carpet, that wonderful thick Myrish carpet, as comforting as lies.

So if you accept other foreshadowing that the white dragon is headed toward Tyrion, perhaps Ulf the White's actions in TP&TQ foreshadows that Tyrion will betray Dany in Dance v.2.0. Somebody has to betray Dany for gold. Why not for all the gold of Casterly Rock?

And Tyrion's buddy from the Moon Brothers was named Ulf.

ETA

Oh, and Theon's Ulf went "down with a crossbow bolt through the belly."

Tyrion's fate...

Tyrion I, Game 9

I suspect that The Second Dance of the Dragons will culminate at the Trident as armies led by Daenerys, Stannis, and Aegon meet. I expect Drogon the winged shadow will burn Stannis, and all his power will join Daenerys. But I also expect that Tyrion will betray Daenerys with Brown Ben and Viserion for Aegon's side. I could see Tyrion later wishing he hadn't alone in the woods. I could then see Nymeria picking up his sent.

Somebody will find Tyrion a few chapters later...

Ulf son of Umar layvin a pool of congealing blood, his arm gone at the elbow,

Tyrion VIII, Game 62

Tyrion's fate...

Tyrion I, Game 9

Tyrion VIII, Game 62

I suspect that The Second Dance of the Dragons will culminate at the Trident as armies led by Daenerys, Stannis, and Aegon meet. I expect Drogon the winged shadow will burn Stannis, and all his power will join Daenerys. But I also expect that Tyrion will betray Daenerys with Brown Ben and Viserion for Aegon's side. I could see Tyrion later wishing he hadn't alone in the woods. I could then see Nymeria picking up his sent.

Somebody will find Tyrion a few chapters later...

Ulf son of Umar layvin a pool of congealing blood, his arm gone at the elbow,

Tyrion VIII, Game 62

On their iron spikes atop the gatehouse, the heads waited.

Theon gazed at them silently while the wind tugged on his cloak with small ghostly hands. The miller’s boys had been of an age with Bran and Rickon, alike in size and coloring, and once Reek had flayed the skin from their faces and dipped their heads in tar, it was easy to see familiar features in those misshapen lumps of rotting flesh. People were such fools. If we’d said they were rams’ heads, they would have seen horns.

Another possible clue for at least one of the miller’s boys being actually Theon’s. The mention of rams might be a hint towards the Abrahamic sacrifice where he was about to sacrifice his son but a ram sent by the God was sacrificed instead. This would be a reverse parallel in Theon’s case. Bran&Rickon were not Theon’s children but he killed his own blood (though it was unintentional) in their stead. That is why Theon got divine punishment unlike Abraham.

Will they? Daeron is dead, and Jon maybe dying, but Toad and Halder are at the Shadow Tower, Grenn and Pypar are at Eastwatch, and, presumably, Albet and Matthar are still at Castle Black. Im guessing those last six characters survive until after the Second Dance of the Dragons ends and the War for the Dawn begins.

There's also a Toad Stone statue reference here, I think. As in, the greasy black stone on the Isle of Toads.

I caught this one the other night, perhaps it's already been mentioned. I started a thread for it.

The killings stopped after Farlens death, but even so his men continued sullen and anxious. They fear no foe in open battle, Black Lorren told him, but it is another thing to dwell among enemies, never knowing if the washerwoman means to kiss you or kill you, or whether the serving boy is filling your cup with ale or bale. We would do well to leave this place.

I am the Prince of Winterfell! Theon had shouted. This is my seat, no man will drive me from it. No, nor woman either!

(ACOK, Theon)

In the ADWD chapter titled "The Prince of Winterfell," Mance takes a page out of Bael's playbook and plays Abel, the Bard, with his six washerwomen. Pretty clear foreshadowing here.

Throught the ADWD chapter, the washerwomen are trying to kiss Theon and threatening to kill him, many times.

The three killings that occur when Theon is PoWF match three of the killings from the ADWD chapter, throat slit, floating in the moat, fell down the stairs.

Theon, the last PoWF, was taken down by the guy who is the next PoWF, Ramsay. Who will take down Ramsay? The last sentence suggests a woman.

There's a bit more to this, covered in my thread.

Archived