Moments of Foreshadowing 10

Lost Melnibonean

for the reason he does not think he is fit for the job.

A true sword of fire, now, that would be a wonder to behold. Yet at such a cost . . . When he thought of Nissa Nissa, it was his own Marya he pictured, a good-natured plump woman with sagging breasts and a kindly smile, the best woman in the world. He tried to picture himself driving a sword through her, and shuddered. I am not made of the stuff of heroes, he decided. If that was the price of a magic sword, it was more than he cared to pay.

It is only a matter of time until the Freys/Boltons are destroyed and Rickon is installed to Winterfell. After that, Stannis will have the entire North at his back. From that moment on, I think Davos might come into the same realization level with Jon (i.e. the real danger is in the North, people have to be saved no matter what etc.) but Stannis might turn his eyes towards South because the IT might seem ripe to be taken. He will want to gather more support for his cause and Riverlands is the next logical target for him. He might also want to exploit a possible power vacuum at the Vale after the death of LF.

Do you really think Stanley will back Ricky in Winterfell?

She had made a better job of it than he could ever have hoped for. Even by lantern light, the sunset colors were rich and bright, the tree tall and strong and noble. The falling star was a bright slash of paint across the oaken sky. Yet now that Dunk held it in his hands, it seemed all wrong. The star was falling, what sort of sigil was that? Would he fall just as fast? And sunset heralds night. "I should have stayed with the chalice", he said miserably. "It had wings, at least, to fly away, and Ser Arlan said the cup was full of faith and fellowship and good things to drink. This shield is all painted up like death."

"The elms alive," Pate pointed out. "See how green the leaves are? Summer leaves, for certain. And Ive seen shields blazoned with skulls and wolves and ravens, even hanged men and bloody heads. They served well enough, and so will this. You know the old shield rhyme? Oak and iron, guard me well . . ."

The Hedge Knight

LM, what are you applying this quote too? I love the "falling star heralds nightfall" idea - that's a great one for my astronomy theories - but what were you referencing this quote to?

LM, what are you applying this quote too? I love the "falling star heralds nightfall" idea - that's a great one for my astronomy theories - but what were you referencing this quote to?

The Gallows Knight ;)

“That may be so, Your Radiance,” said Ezzara, “but this blood was mingled with his stool. It stained his smallclothes.”

“He was bleeding from the bowels,” said Galazza Galare.

“We cannot be certain,” said Ezzara, “but it may be that Meereen has more to fear than the spears of the Yunkai’i.”

“We must pray,” said the Green Grace. “The gods sent this man to us. He comes as a harbinger. He comes as a sign.”

“A sign of what?” asked Dany.

“A sign of wroth and ruin.”

the pale mare is inside the walls now as well. After the battle of fire, it will be even worse. If Tyrion ends up ruling Meereen, he will have to deal with this situation. I think he will have to take some drastic measures. He will take some lessons from other ruthless pramatics:

“Ser Jaime, I have seen terrible things in my time,” the old man said. “Wars, battles, murders most foul . . . I was a boy in Oldtown when the grey plague took half the city and three-quarters of the Citadel. Lord Hightower burned every ship in port, closed the gates, and commanded his guards to slay all those who tried to flee, be they men, women, or babes in arms. They killed him when the plague had run its course. On the very day he reopened the port, they dragged him from his horse and slit his throat, and his young son’s as well. To this day the ignorant in Oldtown will spit at the sound of his name, but Quenton Hightower did what was needed. Your father was that sort of man as well. A man who did what was needed.”

But then the Great Spring Sickness swept the Seven Kingdoms, affecting all save the Vale and Dorne, where they closed the ports and mountain passes. Worst hit of all was King’s Landing. The High Septon, the Seven’s voice on earth, died, as did a third of the Most Devout, and nearly all the silent sisters in the city. Corpses were piled in the ruins of the Dragonpit until they stood ten feet high and, in the end, Bloodraven had the pyromancers burn the corpses where they lay. A quarter of the city went up in flames along with them, but there was nothing else to be done.

“Oh, indeed. A dreadful time, ser, dreadful. Strong men would wake healthy at the break of day and be dead by evenfall. So many died so quickly there was no time to bury them. They piled them in the Dragonpit instead, and when the corpses were ten feet deep, Lord Rivers commanded the pyromancers to burn them. The light of the fires shone through the windows, as it did of yore when living dragons still nested beneath the dome. By night you could see the glow all through the city, the dark green glow of wildfire. The color green still haunts me to this day. They say the spring was bad in Lannisport and worse in Oldtown, but in King’s Landing it cut down four of ten. Neither young nor old were spared, nor rich nor poor, nor great nor humble. Our good High Septon was taken, the gods’ own voice on earth, with a third of the Most Devout and near all our silent sisters. His Grace King Daeron, sweet Matarys and bold Valarr, the Hand . . . oh, it was a dreadful time. By the end, half the city was praying to the Stranger.”

I think Tyrion will burn Meereen down, not with wildfire but with Viserion..

“And when the city fell?” demanded Skahaz. “What then?”

“The butchery began. The Temple of the Graces was full of the sick who had come to ask the gods to heal them. The legions sealed the doors and set the temple ablaze with torches. Within the hour fires were burning in every corner of the city. As they spread they joined with one another. The streets were full of mobs, running this way and that to escape the flames, but there was no way out. The Yunkai’i held the gates.”

Tyrion will by then know the Green Grace is the Harpy.

I think this resolution to Meereen plot does make sense with a much larger plotline... Dany can´t be succesful in her capaign to free slaves. It would be much better if all three cities of Slavers Bay end up being destroyed.

It is Eroeh all over again.”

Brown Ben Plumm was puzzled. “Who is Eroeh?”

“A girl I thought I’d saved from rape and torment. All I did was make it worse for her in the end. And all I did in Astapor was make ten thousand Eroehs.”

thoughts?

Dazed and confused as he was, Dunk felt a huge sense of relief. His dream was wrong, then. The dead dragon. Unless Aerion died. He didnt though, did he?

No, said Egg. You spared him. Dont you remember?

I suppose. Already his memories of the fight were becoming confused and vague. 

The Hedge Knight

I got a copper says Dunk regrets sparing Aerion in s future installment of The Tales of Dunk and Egg.

Burning dead children had ceased to trouble Jon Snow; live ones were another matter. Two kings to wake the dragon. The father first and then the son, so both die kings. The words had been murmured by one of the queen's men as Maester Aemon had cleaned his wounds. Jon had tried to dismiss them as his fever talking. Aemon had demurred. "There is power in a king's blood," the old maester had warned, "and better men than Stannis have done worse things than this." The king can be harsh and unforgiving, aye, but a babe still on the breast? Only a monster would give a living child to the flames.

These responses are awesome!  There are some I really never thought of at all.  Fascinating that GRRM wrote in all of this foreshadowing and was able to keep track of it all too!

He really seems to have a good balance of planning ahead and writing creatively. Perhaps after the series is over, he'll be more open about just how much was planned from the beginning and what ideas came to him in mid-stream. Because this guy supposedly doesn't use an outline, and he's a "gardener," but yeah! Look at all this detailed foreshadowing! It's really impressive sometimes.

He really seems to have a good balance of planning ahead and writing creatively. Perhaps after the series is over, he'll be more open about just how much was planned from the beginning and what ideas came to him in mid-stream. Because this guy supposedly doesn't use an outline, and he's a "gardener," but yeah! Look at all this detailed foreshadowing! It's really impressive sometimes.

I heard he doesn't use an outline, it reminds me of something I heard once about genius.  It isn't orderly, it simply is.

More wishful thinking than an actual question:

will we get a first-person story-telling moment with the GoHH finally disclosing wtf happened in Summerhall?

We're likely to get the Summerhall story from the last D&E book.

Please refresh my memory, who is the Gallows Knight?  Thank you.

Wasn't that Dunk?

Please refresh my memory, who is the Gallows Knight?  Thank you.

In the Mystery Knight, Dunk enters the lists for the Traitor's Tourney as the Gallows Knight, bearing the shield of a hanged man. This appears to have been the sigil of house Trant. If so, I think Dunk may have been committing a crime by bearing the sigil of another house...

Is that also wishful thinking or is there some evidence superior that? [emoji14]

No real evidence but it is where the story ends, since for all we know they perish at summerhall, how better end a story than with the death of the maincharacters?

In the Mystery Knight, Dunk enters the lists for the Traitor's Tourney as the Gallows Knight, bearing the shield of a hanged man. This appears to have been the sigil of house Trant. If so, I think Dunk may have been committing a crime by bearing the sigil of another house...

It wouldn't be the first time if so.  He isn't a knight at all. 

Archived