Moments of Foreshadowing 10

Lost Melnibonean

Is this a foreshadowing of something more than the Clegane Bowl?

Above the din came a sudden snarling as two dogs fell upon each other over a scrap of meat. They rolled across the floor, snapping and biting, as a howl of mirth went up. Someone doused them with a flagon of ale and they broke apart. One limped toward the dais. Lord Walder's toothless mouth opened in a bark of laughter as the dripping wet dog shook ale and hair all over three of his grandsons.

Catelyn VII

Fire Eater had a theory on a future battle of Long Lake 2 between Jon and Ramsay...(can´t find the link now), but this could help:

Dogs moved between the tables, trailing after the serving girls. One of them, a black mongrel bitch with long yellow eyes, caught a scent of the chicken. She stopped and edged under the bench to get a share. Jon watched the confrontation. The bitch growled low in her throat and moved closer. Ghost looked up, silent, and fixed the dog with those hot red eyes. The bitch snapped an angry challenge. She was three times the size of the direwolf pup. Ghost did not move. He stood over his prize and opened his mouth, baring his fangs. The bitch tensed, barked again, then thought better of this fight. She turned and slunk away, with one last defiant snap to save her pride. Ghost went back to his meal.

the link between Ramsay and a bitch needs no further explanation.. but its interesting that the chicken is described as a "prize", since a prize could be used to describe a bride. farya is a prize in that sense...with her comes Winterfell.

i think after sending the pink letter Ramsay could march north to recover his prize.. Jon recovers/is resurrected and marches south to fight him in the Long Lake 2.0.. and Jon wins ending the bolton line (since Stannis will win at winterfell against Roose)

Yet the huge man [Robert] at the head of the column, flanked by two knights in the snow-white cloaks of the Kingsguard, seemed almost a stranger to Ned …

“The king is a stranger to you.” Catelyn remembered the direwolf dead in the snow, the broken antler lodged deep in her throat.

Being stranger to someone is equal to causing his/her death. This is a clear foresahdowing to Ned's death because of Robert's making him Hand.

BTW, Cat was not present in the execution of Gared yet she remembers the dead direwolf and the stag. Is that a mistake?

Yet the huge man [Robert] at the head of the column, flanked by two knights in the snow-white cloaks of the Kingsguard, seemed almost a stranger to Ned

The king is a stranger to you. Catelyn remembered the direwolf dead in the snow, the broken antler lodged deep in her throat.

Being stranger to someone is equal to causing his/her death. This is a clear foresahdowing to Ned's death because of Robert's making him Hand.

BTW, Cat was not present in the execution of Gared yet she remembers the dead direwolf and the stag. Is that a mistake?

Not a mistake. Somebody surely told her about it. Wasn't the whole castle concerned about the portent?

Are there any other "strangers?"

Not a mistake. Somebody surely told her about it. Wasn't the whole castle concerned about the portent?

Are there any other "strangers?"

This:

The garrison will never know me. Some might recall the boy he’d been before he learned his name, but Reek would be a stranger to them.

Reek becomes the angel of death to the ironborn garrison at Moat Cailin.

A similar case is this:

Ser Barristan felt very tired, very old. Where have all the years gone? Of late, whenever he knelt to drink from a still pool, he saw a stranger’s face gazing up from the water’s depths.

It is a foreshadowing to Barristan’s death by Victarion who wears the stranger’s face and comes from the depths like a kraken.

I also find this interesting:

Jaime had served with Meryn Trant and Boros Blount for years; adequate fighters, but Trant was sly and cruel, and Blount a bag of growly air. Ser Balon Swann was better suited to his cloak, and of course the Knight of Flowers was supposedly all a knight should be. The fifth man was a stranger to him, this Osmund Kettleblack.

And also this:

Ygritte wanted me to be a wildling. Stannis wants me to be the Lord of Winterfell. But what do I want? The sun crept down the sky to dip behind the Wall where it curved through the western hills. Jon watched as that towering expanse of ice took on the reds and pinks of sunset. Would I sooner be hanged for a turncloak by Lord Janos, or forswear my vows, marry Val, and become the Lord of Winterfell? It seemed an easy choice when he thought of it in those terms . . . though if Ygritte had still been alive, it might have been even easier. Val was a stranger to him. She was not hard on the eyes, certainly, and she had been sister to Mance Rayder’s queen, but still . . .

I love you too, sweet sister.

How could I ever have loved that wretched creature? she wondered after he had gone. He was your twin, your shadow, your other half, another voice whispered. Once, perhaps, she thought. No longer. He has become a stranger to me.

The valonqar. But does Val have to kill Jon and Osmund have to kill Jaime for this to hold water?

The valonqar. But does Val have to kill Jon and Osmund have to kill Jaime for this to hold water?

Val might be instrumental in "killing the boy" in Jon and letting him reborn as a Targaryen.

Osmund might give Jaime a fatal wound during the shitstorm at the end of Cersei. I have a theory that Pod will kill Osmund and that might happen when Osmund gives a fatal wound to Jaime treacherously as Mandon Moore did to Tyrion.

I was thinking that perhaps the story of Bael the Bard may have been some foreshadowing of Lord Baelish's plans. In the story, Bael was a singer who decieves a Stark lord and steals their daughter.

Lord Baelish, whose sigil is a mockingbird (a bird known for mimicking other bird's songs, somewhat similarly to a certain bard) deceives Lord Eddard Stark, and eventually steals his daughter.

There is also clearly the obvious similarity between the name Bael and Baelish. Could be an obvious hint that Baelish will do some Bael-ish things.

Hopefully this doesn't mean Littlefinger will put a baby in Sansa's belly as Bael did with his Stark girl.

I was thinking that perhaps the story of Bael the Bard may have been some foreshadowing of Lord Baelish's plans. In the story, Bael was a singer who decieves a Stark lord and steals their daughter.

Lord Baelish, whose sigil is a mockingbird (a bird known for mimicking other bird's songs, somewhat similarly to a certain bard) deceives Lord Eddard Stark, and eventually steals his daughter.

There is also clearly the obvious similarity between the name Bael and Baelish. Could be an obvious hint that Baelish will do some Bael-ish things.

Hopefully this doesn't mean Littlefinger will put a baby in Sansa's belly as Bael did with his Stark girl.

Impressive. Most impressive.

"The clouds in the sky were aglow; pink and purple, maroon and gold, pearl and saffron. One looks like a Dragon."

ADWD Tyrion IV pg 180

I believe this to foreshadow Dragons that will be introduced to the story later on.

When Danys Dragons were born, that signified the return of magic into the world. Therefore any dragons eggs could now hatch. Therefore it is possible that some dragons eggs hatched the same year as Danys did. meaning that there could be dragons roughly the same age and size of Danys dragons.

In A Song of Ice and Fire, GRRM has a distinct way describing dragons and the dragons most often seem to have 2 distinct colors.

The color of their scales and the colors of their horns, spinal plates and wing membranes.

Pink and Purple.........Maroon and Gold..........Pearl and Saffron

That is what the dragons will look like

"The clouds in the sky were aglow; pink and purple, maroon and gold, pearl and saffron. One looks like a Dragon."

ADWD Tyrion IV pg 180

I believe this to foreshadow Dragons that will be introduced to the story later on.

When Danys Dragons were born, that signified the return of magic into the world. Therefore any dragons eggs could now hatch. Therefore it is possible that some dragons eggs hatched the same year as Danys did. meaning that there could be dragons roughly the same age and size of Danys dragons.

In A Song of Ice and Fire, GRRM has a distinct way describing dragons and the dragons most often seem to have 2 distinct colors.

The color of their scales and the colors of their horns, spinal plates and wing membranes.

Pink and Purple.........Maroon and Gold..........Pearl and Saffron

That is what the dragons will look like

A pink and purple dragon? Really?

From ASOS:

We should have twenty trebuchets, not two, and they should be mounted on sledges and turntables so we could move them. It was a futile thought. He might as well wish for another thousand men, and maybe a dragon or three.

Or that we'll need to wait until said child grows for Littlefinger to die

Anyhow, AGOT, chapter 40

Pale white mists rose off Alyssa’s Tears, where the ghost waters plunged over the shoulder of the mountain to begin their long tumble down the face of the Giant’s Lance. Catelyn could feel the faint touch of spray on her face.

Alyssa Arryn had seen her husband, her brothers, and all her children slain, and yet in life she had never shed a tear. So in death, the gods had decreed that she would know no rest until her weeping watered the black earth of the Vale, where the men she had loved were buried. Alyssa had been dead six thousand years now, and still no drop of the torrent had ever reached the valley floor far below. Catelyn wondered how large a waterfall her own tears would make when she died.

If only she knew...

In addition to the every piece foreshadowing Barristan's death by Victarion's axe, we also have this:

The helm he left upon its hook. The narrow eye slit limited his vision, and he needed to be able to see for what was to come. The halls of the pyramid were dark at night, and foes could come at you from either side. Besides, though the ornate dragon’s wings that adorned the helm were splendid to look upon, they could too easily catch a sword or axe. He would leave them for his next tourney if the Seven should grant him one.

I've voiced it in several places that Vicky will challenge Barristan to present seven champions to face him on single combat in order to determine whose cause is just so that he should be the one to rule Meereen in the name of Dany. Barristan exploited everything he could in his duel with Khrazz. Vicky has none of the weaknesses of Khrazz. He is younger, bigger and stronger than Barristan and as quick as him. Barristan will surely have a hard time in blocking his blows and the helm he will wear will catch Victarion's axe. He will drop unconscious and his head will be crushed by the strength of the blow just like Baelor Breakspear died.

Foreshadowing from sample Tyrion chapter

Spoiler
Tyrion notes that the camp is shimmering rose and gold, which reminds me of the Tyrells and the Lannisters. Meanwhile, the great pyramid of Meereen hulks black against them and a dragon starts moving atop it. Tyrion is not sure about which dragon that is. I think that is a reference to the black dragon who will kick the asses of the rose and the gold back in Westeros.

Maybe, just maybe, Tyrion will find out where whores go...

Tyrion could hear the commons shouting out King Joffrey's name. In three years that cruel boy will be a man, ruling in his own right . . . and every dwarf with half his wits will be a long way from King's Landing. Oldtown, perhaps. Or even the Free Cities. He had always had a yen to see the Titan of Braavos. Perhaps that would please Sansa. Gently, he spoke of Braavos, and met a wall of sullen courtesy as icy and unyielding as the Wall he had walked once in the north. It made him weary. Then and now.

Tyrion VIII, Storm

In addition to the every piece foreshadowing Barristan's death by Victarion's axe, we also have this:

The helm he left upon its hook. The narrow eye slit limited his vision, and he needed to be able to see for what was to come. The halls of the pyramid were dark at night, and foes could come at you from either side. Besides, though the ornate dragon’s wings that adorned the helm were splendid to look upon, they could too easily catch a sword or axe. He would leave them for his next tourney if the Seven should grant him one.

I've voiced it in several places that Vicky will challenge Barristan to present seven champions to face him on single combat in order to determine whose cause is just so that he should be the one to rule Meereen in the name of Dany. Barristan exploited everything he could in his duel with Khrazz. Vicky has none of the weaknesses of Khrazz. He is younger, bigger and stronger than Barristan and as quick as him. Barristan will surely have a hard time in blocking his blows and the helm he will wear will catch Victarion's axe. He will drop unconscious and his head will be crushed by the strength of the blow just like Baelor Breakspear died.

Just out of curiosity, why an axe and not a sword (literally right by it). It seems a little bit like picking and choosing to fit your own ends.

And Victarion doesn't believe in the seven. Dunno why a follower of the Drowned God would declare a trial by seven.

Just out of curiosity, why an axe and not a sword (literally right by it). It seems a little bit like picking and choosing to fit your own ends.

And Victarion doesn't believe in the seven. Dunno why a follower of the Drowned God would declare a trial by seven.

It might equally be a sword but Vicky is the one foreshadowed to kill Barry and he uses an axe. That is not a standalone piece of evidence.

Besides, my proposition is similar to how Harras Harlaw took Greyshield all by himself. He planted his standart defiantly and defeated seven champions one by one. After the last one, the septon declared that the Seven has spoken so they yielded. Vicky knows the tale and will remember it as a means to avoid another battle between Dany's forces in Meereen and his ironborn. Vicky also thinks that he is backed by two gods now and the Seven of the green lands was not equal of the Drowned God for the ironborn to begin with.

Archived