Moments of Foreshadowing 10

Lost Melnibonean

I wonder if this could foreshadow what's happened at Winterfell...

"And?" said Tyrion, waiting.

By way of answer Prince Oberyn swirled his wine, and said, "When the Young Dragon conquered Dorne so long ago, he left the Lord of Highgarden to rule us after the Submission of Sunspear. This Tyrell moved with his tail from keep to keep, chasing rebels and making certain that our knees stayed bent. He would arrive in force, take a castle for his own, stay a moon's turn, and ride on to the next castle. It was his custom to turn the lords out of their own chambers and take their beds for himself. One night he found himself beneath a heavy velvet canopy. A sash hung down near the pillows, should he wish to summon a wench. He had a taste for Dornish women, this Lord Tyrell, and who can blame him? So he pulled upon the sash, and when he did the canopy above him split open, and a hundred red scorpions fell down upon his head. His death lit a fire that soon swept across Dorne, undoing all the Young Dragon's victories in a fortnight. The kneeling men stood up, and we were free again."

Tyrion IX, Storm

Through Frey and Bolton Tywin conquered the North, which Roose was left to rule. The pink letter suggests that Ramsay is calling the shots following the last scene in Dance from Winterfell, and we know that the northern lords are not pleased. Perhaps Ramsay will fall upon and kill his father in bed. And perhaps Roose's death will light a fire that will sweep the north with Manderly and Stannis joining forces.

Another thing that stood out to me is that, yet again, a Stark uses stone to hide: "Blinded by the blaze of their own torch, they did not see her pressed flat against the stone, only a few feet away."

On a side note: Skagos means stone in the old tongue. Supposedly, another Stark is hiding there.

This from an Arya POV in ASOS:

"A wedding, she said. We shall see. Wherever she [Catelyn] is, Lord Beric will find her."

Good.

How 'bout this...

When Davos left the window his shadow went before him, tall and thin, and fell across the Painted Table like a sword.

Davos VI, Storm

"When your dragons were small they were a wonder. Grown, they are death and devastation, a flaming sword above the world."

Daenerys III, Dance

Makes me wonder whether Davos might ride a dragon before all is said a done.

...what, is Davos going to "wield" Jon? How is that even possible?

“In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him.”

By clasping him as in the case of handshake.

In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him.

Anyone can shake someone's hand.

Sam to Jon in Clash of Kings, before they depart Castle Black:

"I found drawings of the faces in the trees, and a book about the tongue of the children of the forest . . . works that even the Citadel doesn’t have, scrolls from old Valyria, counts of the seasons written by maesters dead a thousand years . . .”

Val and/or Melisandre will learn some CotF spells.

Could come in quite handy if wights are attacking and they can use firespells like Leaf.

“In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him.”

So, Davos is AAR, and wields lightbringer (Jon) with a handshake

:stunned: :shocked:

How does that work? i must confess thats a new one for me.

Tyrion cocked his head sideways. “Did you mean to answer your damned riddle, or only to make my head ache worse?”

Varys smiled. “Here, then. Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less.”

“So power is a mummer’s trick?”

“A shadow on the wall,” Varys murmured, “yet shadows can kill. And ofttimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow.”

What does Varys know about shadows that can kill?

So, Davos is AAR, and wields lightbringer (Jon) with a handshake

:stunned: :shocked:

How does that work? i must confess thats a new one for me.

That is a bit symbolic. By handshake, I mean that Davos will come to a complete agreement/alignment with Jon and he will make him fully functional. No person can save the world alone but the problem is with leadership. Someone has to clear the way and help Jon in getting the leadership of men. Sam and Bran are my other candidates for AAR. Maybe all three of them will be AARs.

What does Varys know about shadows that can kill?

Some people (including me) think that Varys is a sorcerer and knows such things.

That is a bit symbolic. By handshake, I mean that Davos will come to a complete agreement/alignment with Jon and he will make him fully functional. No person can save the world alone but the problem is with leadership. Someone has to clear the way and help Jon in getting the leadership of men. Sam and Bran are my other candidates for AAR. Maybe all three of them will be AARs.

interesting. so, the handshake you think will be some kind of agreement by which jon will get an army strong enough to defeat the Others. a bit crackpot but i like it.

still one has to speculate how Davos will get that kind of power.

interesting. so, the handshake you think will be some kind of agreement by which jon will get an army strong enough to defeat the Others. a bit crackpot but i like it.

still one has to speculate how Davos will get that kind of power.

for the reason he does not think he is fit for the job.

A true sword of fire, now, that would be a wonder to behold. Yet at such a cost . . . When he thought of Nissa Nissa, it was his own Marya he pictured, a good-natured plump woman with sagging breasts and a kindly smile, the best woman in the world. He tried to picture himself driving a sword through her, and shuddered. I am not made of the stuff of heroes, he decided. If that was the price of a magic sword, it was more than he cared to pay.

It is only a matter of time until the Freys/Boltons are destroyed and Rickon is installed to Winterfell. After that, Stannis will have the entire North at his back. From that moment on, I think Davos might come into the same realization level with Jon (i.e. the real danger is in the North, people have to be saved no matter what etc.) but Stannis might turn his eyes towards South because the IT might seem ripe to be taken. He will want to gather more support for his cause and Riverlands is the next logical target for him. He might also want to exploit a possible power vacuum at the Vale after the death of LF.

Archived