Moments of Foreshadowing 10

Lost Melnibonean

When Melisandre is describing the different focii that can be used to impersonate someone with a glamour, one of the things she mentions are knuckle bones. Somebody is going to impersonate Davos, if they aren't already.

That would be awesome but I can't help think 'and how will they manage that?' The blackwater is a big fast moving river with an enormous bay, and it was ever so slightly on fire and covered in wreckage. And given Davos is on Skaggos or somewhere in the north, that's a lot of travelling been done from KL.

That would be awesome but I can't help think 'and how will they manage that?' The blackwater is a big fast moving river with an enormous bay, and it was ever so slightly on fire and covered in wreckage. And given Davos is on Skaggos or somewhere in the north, that's a lot of travelling been done from KL.

Melisandre has been successful looking for specific things in her fires. All she'd have to do is look in the fires and try to see the pouch Davos kept his finger bones in, probably washed up on the shore of the Blackwater or on the beach near where it enters the Narrow Sea. Send someone to pick them up, and now Davos can be in two places at once.

Ser Daven put his wine cup down. "My scouts report fires in the high places at night. Signal fires, they think . . . as if there were a ring of watchers all around us. And there are fires in the villages as well. Some new god . . ."

Jaime V, Feast

While Aegon is like to receive the backing of the Faith, I don't think that will help him with the smallfolk in the Riverlands. It'll be interesting to see if Moqorro can raise a rabble from men converted by Thoros to fight Aegon for Daenerys.

I'd be surprised if this hadn't been mentioned before, but I just saw it this time around...

The old Valyrian word sent a chill through her, though it also gave her a tingle of hope. "The Imp is no longer my brother, if he ever was," she declared. "Nor will I say his name. It was a proud name once, before he dishonored it."

"In Tyrosh we name him Redhands, for the blood running from his fingers. A king's blood, and a father's. Some say he slew his mother too, ripping his way from her womb with savage claws."

Cersei VIII, Feast

Tyrion will serve as the red dragon's hand. You know it might also be inconsistent to assume that Daenerys will trust Tyrion but reject Aegon since she was warned about the mummer's dragon. She was also warned about the lion.

And we should encounter a dwarf in or from Oldtown...

Sad to say, the three would-be informers proved no more useful than the Tyroshi. One said that the Imp was hiding in an Oldtown brothel, pleasuring men with his mouth. It made for a droll picture, but Cersei did not believe it for an instant. The second claimed to have seen the dwarf in a mummer's show in Braavos. The third insisted Tyrion had become a hermit in the riverlands, living on some haunted hill.

Cersei VIII, Feast

We found the mummer dwarf in Bravos in Mercy, Winds, and the hermit in the Riverlands is the Ghost of High Heart. We need an Oldtown dwarf to close the loop.

• 2 weeks later...

This possible foreshadowing occurs in chapter 36 of Feast...

Tommen helped restore her to herself. He had never been more precious to her than he was that morning, chattering about his kittens as he dribbled honey onto a chunk of hot black bread fresh from the ovens. "Ser Pounce caught a mouse," he told her, "but Lady Whiskers stole it from him."

Cersei VIII, Feast

Around the same time, but five chapters later, Petyr introduces Ser Shadrich, called the Mad Mouse, to Sansa. We met Shadrich much earlier, when he told Brienne that he was hunting Sansa for the gold promised by Varys. I see two possible foreshadowings here. Ser Pounce could be Varys and Lady Whiskers could be Petyr, which would foreshadow Shadrich leaving Varys's service for Petyr's in chapter 41 of Feast. Alternatively, Ser Pounce could be Petyr and Lady Whiskers could be Sansa, which would foreshadow Sansa befriending Shadrich and winning his loyalty. I just don't see how the latter theory would fit with what we know of Shadrich's nature. But we don't know very much about him yet.

Theon Greyjoy seized Robb’s arm to keep him away from the prince [Joffrey]. Ser Rodrik tugged at his whiskers in dismay.

- AGoT, Arya I

During the Stark vs. Baratheon/Lannister sparring sessions in Winterfell. After Bran and Tommen finished, Robb and Joffrey were discussing going another round. This pair of sentences caught my eye, as possible foreshadowing of Theon's betrayal of the Starks.

It doesn't strike me as a clue that will help you figure out what is going to happen, but something small that you might notice on a reread.

I don’t know if it applies to foreshadowing, but I was re-reading ASOS and paid more attention to this conversation between Oberyn and Tyrion:

“I had just been born. What did you expect of me?”
“Enormity,” the black-haired prince replied. “You were small, but far-famed. We were in Oldtown at your birth, and all the city talked of was the monster that had been born to the King’s Hand, and what such an omen might foretell for the realm.”
“Famine, plague, and war, no doubt.” Tyrion gave a sour smile. “It’s always famine, plague, and war. Oh, and winter, and the long night that never ends.”
“All that,” said Prince Oberyn, “and your father’s fall as well. Lord Tywin had made himself greater than King Aerys, I heard one begging brother preach, but only a god is meant to stand above a king. You were his curse, a punishment sent by the gods to teach him that he was no better than any other man.”
He indirectly did that. He dismissed Jeor’s claims about the possible return of the Others, keeping the NW from getting reinforcements (or better, the one he sent, Janos Slynt, wasn't very useful). Catelyn’s kidnapping of him caused an armed conflict between Lannisters and Lions, which escalated further with the War of the Five Kings; KL’s people blamed him for bringing several miseries upon them (including famine, which culminated with the riot). Then, he killed Tywin. After that, he convinced fAegon to go to Westeros with JonCon, after JonCon caught grayscale saving Tyrion’s life.
Oberyn also says people spoke of Tyrion's tail, and many readers think he has a role to play in the second dance, as well as being the byproduct of Aerys and Joanna’s rape/affair/love story/something.

Jaime and Petyr will side with Aegon against Daenerys in the upcoming dance. In Jaime's weirwood stump dream BR, who sided with the red dragon against the black, sent Jaime's fallen Kingsguard brothers to hammer home Jaime's crime when he betrayed Aerys, notwithstanding Jaime's defense that Aerys planned to burn KL. Rhaegar reminded him that he left his wife and children in Jaime's hands. BR seems to be preparing Jaime to raise up Jon, Rhaegar's heir, as king.

And all for naught. They found only darkness, dust, and rats. And dragons, lurking down below. He remembered the sullen orange glow of the coals in the iron dragon's mouth. The brazier warmed a chamber at the bottom of a shaft where half a dozen tunnels met. On the floor he'd found a scuffed mosaic of the three-headed dragon of House Targaryen done in tiles of black and red. I know you, Kingslayer, the beast seemed to be saying. I have been here all the time, waiting for you to come to me. And it seemed to Jaime that he knew that voice, the iron tones that had once belonged to Rhaegar, Prince of Dragonstone.

Jaime I, Feast

Jaime identifies with the Warrior...

Why would Cersei need the Warrior? She has me.

Jaime II, Feast

And the Warrior protects children...

The Warrior stands before the foe,

protecting us where e'er we go.

With sword and shield and spear and bow,

he guards the little children.

Samwell II, Storm

"They belonged to Criston Cole, who served the first Viserys and the second Aegon." Jaime closed the White Book. "They called him Kingmaker."

Jaime II, Feast

But perhaps Jaime will believe Aegon's claim? Here is a telling quote from Barristan on his path to redemption after taking Robert's pardon...

"That was when I knew that to redeem myself I must find the true king, and serve him loyally, with all the strength that still remained me."

Daenerys II, Dance

And here's Jaime telling Lancel what he thought of Robert...

"Robert was no true king."

Jaime IV, Feast

When he descended for the feast that night, Jaime Lannister wore a doublet of red velvet slashed with cloth-of-gold, and a golden chain studded with black diamonds. He had strapped on his golden hand as well, polished to a fine bright sheen. This was no fit place to wear his whites. His duty awaited him at Riverrun; a darker need had brought him here.

Jaime IV, Feast

Black on Red, like the Blackfyre dragon...

Assuming Jaime is Cersei's valonqar, this quote would tie in nicely with Jaime unwittingly supporting the black dragon...

Black had never been a happy color on her. With her fair skin, it made her look half a corpse herself.

Cersei II, Feast

On the road with Illyrio, Tyrion describes a dream...

"I dreamed about the queen," he said. "I was on my knees before her, swearing my allegiance, but she mistook me for my brother, Jaime, and fed me to her dragons."

Tyrion II, Dance

If Jaime supports Aegon, believing him to be Rhaegar's son, against Daenerys, Tyrion's dream could very well foreshadow the Kingslayer's fate.

And here's what Jaime thinks about Petyr...

Littlefinger was as amiable as he was clever, but too lowborn to threaten any of the great lords, with no swords of his own. The perfect Hand.

Jaime VII, Feast

Petyr may treat with Daenerys but when it's time to dance, he will side with Aegon, and Daenerys, probably influenced by Tyrion is likely to push him in that direction...

Thank you, but no. Littlefinger flashed his mocking smile. Drink with the dwarf, its said, and you wake up walking the Wall. Black brings out my unhealthy pallor.

Tyrion IV, Clash

The next three quotes foreshadow Petyr taking Sansa to the Vale...

The Arryns are descended from the Kings of Mountain and Vale, one of the oldest and purest lines of Andal nobility. Their sigil is the moon-and-falcon, white upon a sky blue field.

Appendix, Game

Petyr had been a small boy, and he had grown into a small man, an inch or two shorter than Catelyn, slender and quick, with the sharp features she remembered and the same laughing grey-green eyes. He had a little pointed chin beard now, and threads of silver in his dark hair, though he was still shy of thirty. They went well with the silver mockingbird that fastened his cloak. Even as a child, he had always loved his silver.

Catelyn IV, Game

His eldest daughter stepped forward hesitantly. She was dressed in blue velvets trimmed with white, a silver chain around her neck.

Eddard III, Game

Now compare that bit with this bit...

"A dream delayed, no more." Dany's tight silver collar was chafing against her throat. She unfastened it and flung it aside.

Daenerys III, Clash

So Petyr will be rejected by Daenerys, perhaps due to Tyrion's influence, and throw in with Aegon.

When the Old Bear gave Jon Longclaw and told him its name Jon said something like "Wolves have claws too." It reminds me of a certain verse in the Rains of Castamere "and mine are long, and sharp my lord, as long and sharp as yours." Perhaps Jon plays a part in the Lannister downfall?

"Irri, bring the green tokar, the silk one fringed with Myrish lace."

"That one is being repaired, Khaleesi. The lace was torn. The blue tokar has been cleaned."

Daenerys VI, Dance

Daenerys will wed Aegon, but their marriage will be torn apart when the dance begins. Jon will end up with Drogo.

ETA: I meant to say Drogon...

This may not be new here, but Ned says this of hte upcoming "winter" to Robert in the Crypts at WF:

Hoping it is a foreshadowing... Maybe? Please? :crying:

My fear is he may be wrong:

He was wrong about Garret

Wrong on the wolves winding up sacrificing Lady ( I hope that isn't a foreshadowing)

Wrong on Robert

Wrong on LF , but for 15 + years almost everyone was wrong there

Wrong on Cersei

"Ser Grandfather knows how to count. The Second Sons have gone over to the Yunkai'i." Daario turned his head and spat. "That's for Brown Ben Plumm. When next I see his ugly face I will open him from throat to groin and rip out his black heart."

Daenerys VI, Dance

With the aid of Tyrion and Viserion Ben will return to Daenerys's good graces but when she and Aegon choose dancing partners Ben will side with the black dragon.

The Riverlands will rebel again.

The Tully garrison departed the next morning, stripped of all their arms and armor. Each man was allowed three days' food and the clothing on his back, after he swore a solemn oath never to take up arms against Lord Emmon or House Lannister. "If you're fortunate, one man in ten may keep that vow," Lady Genna said.

And Jaime will want to execute Hoster, as Tywin would have and as he must if the IT taking hostages to ensure loyalty is to remain a valid strategy.

all these are outlaws and rebels, enemies to the king and all his leal subjects. If I should learn that you or yours are hiding them, protecting them or assisting them in any way, I will not hesitate to send you your son's head. I hope you understand that. Understand this as well: I am not Ryman Frey."

"No." All trace of warmth had left Lord Blackwoood's mouth. "I know who I am dealing with. Kingslayer."

But Tyrion won't let him.

“Rhaegar’s rubies?”

“It may be. Who can say? The battle was long leagues from here, but the river is tireless and patient. Six have been found. We are all waiting for the seventh.”

“Better rubies than bones.” Septon Meribald was rubbing his foot, the mud flaking off beneath his finger. “Not all the river’s gifts are pleasant. The good brothers collect the dead as well. Drowned cows, drowned deer, dead pigs swollen up to half the size of horses. Aye, and corpses.”

“Too many corpses, these days.” The Elder Brother sighed. “Our gravedigger knows no rest. Rivermen, westermen, northmen, all wash up here. Knights and knaves alike. We bury them side by side, Stark and Lannister, Blackwood and Bracken, Frey and Darry. That is the duty the river asks of us in return for all its gifts, and we do it as best we can. Sometimes we find a woman, though . . . or worse, a little child. Those are the cruelest gifts.”

Ser Sandor will take the black. Too many corpses are coming up and the gravedigger has to deal with them relentlessly. This sounds like the wight problem.

Once again the civil war will hit Riverlands due to the Second Dance. This time, zombie apocalypse will be raging on as well. I am sure that at one point Jon will send word to all the contenders about the Others and wights. Again, monarchs or lords will mostly ignore the call but I think his summon will find response among the smallfolk and the residents of the Quiet Isle as well.

Sandor will be healed physically and spiritually. He will overcome his fear of fire, which will be declared by Jon as the best way to kill these wights. He will head North to defend the Realm. I think Jon’s summon will include the information that he is Rhaegar’s son; hence the seventh ruby of Rhaegar theory will kick in.

Archived