Japan Worldcon 2007

dajamieson

:lol: Well that's unexpected. Although, his reasons are very understandable. It will be a pity for his Japanese/Asian fans of course. Or anyone who is travelling to see him. But i'm sure they'll be happy to get aDwD a bit earlier too.

For me...well, i'm still going. :P Its not as if I haven't met him before. I decided a few months back that if I was going to go to Japan it wouldn't be because of WC. And no GRRM will give me more time to actually see some more of the country. I wasn't sure how I was going to fit in everything to be honest.

:lol: Well that's unexpected. Although, his reasons are very understandable. It will be a pity for his Japanese/Asian fans of course. Or anyone who is travelling to see him. But i'm sure they'll be happy to get aDwD a bit earlier too.

For me...well, i'm still going. :P Its not as if I haven't met him before. I decided a few months back that if I was going to go to Japan it wouldn't be because of WC. And no GRRM will give me more time to actually see some more of the country. I wasn't sure how I was going to fit in everything to be honest.

You never need an excuse to visit japan! ^^

How close are you to Iwakuni?

You mean Iwakuni,Yamaguchi prefecuture? I've never been there.

According to my travel guidebook,it takes 14hours by bus,an hour and a half by plane.

Man,it dosen't look close at all.

Did u/Will u live there?

Me and Daj will be there, regardless of GRRM's attendence. It will be a shame for him to miss it, but having this excuse to go to Japan is too much to pass up. And we're already booked for everything, anyway :P

King of Fools, my dear, you cannot pass up the chance to meet me. Fact.

You mean Iwakuni,Yamaguchi prefecuture? I've never been there.

According to my travel guidebook,it takes 14hours by bus,an hour and a half by plane.

Man,it dosen't look close at all.

Did u/Will u live there?

Kind of. I am back and fourth from Iwakuni, and Okinawa. Right now I am in Australia and should be back in Japan in about 3 weeks. Not sure where I am going to be when I get there though.

Just remember to bring warm cloths. Japan in the summer is sweltering hot, but it can be below freezing at the top of fuji san.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out! Mt. Fuji is a very serious mountain, and if anyone wants to climb it they should be prepared for anything from pouring rain to a snowstorm. I've done a lot of hiking in the White Mountains in New Hampshire (which are less than half the height of Mt. Fuji), and even in the summer I wouldn't try hiking any of the higher peaks there without waterproof-breathable jacket and pants, a warm fleece or wool hat, warm gloves, and extra layers of warm clothing. Wool or synthetics are best. Cotton is generally bad (including jeans and socks); if it gets wet it will suck all the heat out of your body and you might get hypothermia. Basically, you should have enough warm and waterproof clothing that you could stand to sit around without moving at below-freezing temperatures for an hour or so and not die. (And a backpack big enough to hold all that stuff for when you don't need it.)

If you want to hike during the night and arrive at sunrise, headlamps are very helpful (much nicer to deal with than having to hold and aim a flashlight).

There's a really useful link I found with tons of information (in English!) on hiking Mt. Fuji, and I'll post it when I get back to my usual computer.

Also, since this is the BWB ... remember, drinking and high-altitude hiking don't mix! ;)

Kristin

Also, since this is the BWB ... remember, drinking and high-altitude hiking don't mix! ;)

For normal people...sure. But this is the BwB! :cool:

Thanks for the info though. Very comprehensive. Looks like I may have to buy some stuff! Just what I love. :P

• 1 month later...

As I was thinking of going to WorldCon just because I happened to be in Japan at that time and GRRM was going to be there I am now skipping out based upon the news of his cancellation.

I will be in Japan from August 25 - September 3. Don't have my itinerary planned exactly. Tokyo will bookend the trip with Kyoto and Hiroshima in between with possible stop-offs at Okayama and/or Shikoku (to visit friends of friends). If any BWBers are around the week before the con it'll be great to still meet up somewhere.

Plunja yes, while i'll probably still go to WC, it will probably be for a lot less time than I originally planned. A couple of nights or so.

I'm arriving in Tokyo on morning of the 26th, so around then sounds like a good time to meet up. Not sure what day works best. The 26th or 27th perhaps? Since our mobile phones don't apparently work in Japan, we'll also have to be careful about planning the when/where. In other words, need to be sure of what we are doing before we travel to Japan. :)

I'm thinking we need to choose some pretty famous place in Tokyo. So it'll be easy to find. And if it had an internet cafe close by even better. :P Just so we'd have some way of keeping in contact if things go awry.

Ok, I have been talking to Alchemist about any meetings in Tokyo/Yokohama.

We have 2 suggestions as of now. On Tuesday the 28th, we are thinking of meeting in Tokyo. At an izakaya near Hibiya metro station (actually the Robata at 1-3-8 Yuraku-cho, Chiyoda-ku). I'm sure i'll get lost trying to find the place but I shall try. :) Around 5:30ish.

If anyone else wants to turn up (locals or fellow travellers), that'd be great.

Since GRRM is not going to be at WC, there may be no point in organising anything there. But if there are going to be some people about, we could try meeting at the Intercontinental Hotel on Saturday the 1st Sept.

Archived