Japan Worldcon 2007

dajamieson

Heh...I suppose now would be a good time to post. :cool:

It'll be cool if Stego makes it. I hear he is very popular these days amongst non-BwB Worldcon folk. ;)

And lots of other people too. I'm pleasantly surprised, since my main doubt about Japan was been all alone. :P

Ohhhh...and i'll probably be flying through Heathrow (at least BA seems to be the cheapest option), so I will keep an eye on when other Euro folk are going. I could join up with yous all. Its over 12 hours direct from London to Tokyo. So could be boring otherwise. :)

Hmm. Wonder if there's any difference between BC and Seattle and SFO.

Though it'd take a miracle to get me there - I'd have to take a ton of time off and also have to have a ton of money saved. Sigh. Stupid Japan, rocking so hard.

You can put my name in the Probable list, daj.

You guessed right on my count Daj. What I really need to do is find out the costs to get to Japan, travel to Hiroshima (maternal grandmother's family came from), then to somewhere else? (maternal grandfather's family came from) then back to Tokyo/Yokohama. Add in a con membership and some spending money and I have a tentative budget. Then it's just a matter of saving. But until I know how all that much costs, I'm still a probable.

Edit: and the cost of the party hotel.

Going to Hiroshima from Tokyo/Yokohama will be VERY expensive, Jon. And a very long journey unless you want to go on the even more expensive Shinkansen. Going by Shinkansen from Osaka (about halfway between Tokyo and Hiroshima) cost about 7000 Yen, IIRC. That's about $70. It may have been a little more than that, though. You could try getting a 7-day free rail pass, though I'm not sure how easy they are to get hold of. That's what I did last year, but I got it through a special programme that I could only use because my brother lives in Japan. Might be worth checking out, though. Especially because Hiroshima is a really good place to go. The museum there and everything in it is awe-inspiring.

You can put my name in the Probable list, daj.

Going to Hiroshima from Tokyo/Yokohama will be VERY expensive, Jon. And a very long journey unless you want to go on the even more expensive Shinkansen. Going by Shinkansen from Osaka (about halfway between Tokyo and Hiroshima) cost about 7000 Yen, IIRC. That's about $70. It may have been a little more than that, though. You could try getting a 7-day free rail pass, though I'm not sure how easy they are to get hold of. That's what I did last year, but I got it through a special programme that I could only use because my brother lives in Japan. Might be worth checking out, though. Especially because Hiroshima is a really good place to go. The museum there and everything in it is awe-inspiring.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at a Frommer's book on Japan. It says I can get a Rail Pass before I go to Japan and that that is the most economical way to travel if I'll be doing a bit of it. The book says $375 US for 14 days though this edition was published in 2004. I hope I can use it for incidental travel around Yokohama and then use it to take the Shinkansen to Hiroshima and Okayama (the other destination). Is that true?

I probably won't fly into Osaka as the convention is in Yokohama anyway and I plan to do my traveling after the convention (before the convention is a busy season, and therefore more expensive, for some reason).

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at a Frommer's book on Japan. It says I can get a Rail Pass before I go to Japan and that that is the most economical way to travel if I'll be doing a bit of it. The book says $375 US for 14 days though this edition was published in 2004. I hope I can use it for incidental travel around Yokohama and then use it to take the Shinkansen to Hiroshima and Okayama (the other destination). Is that true?

The rail pass I got could be used for any train, including Shinkansen, so I expect that one would too. The price sounds about right compared to the amount I paid for a 7-day pass, taking into account the discount we got.

If you have time, you should take a look around Osaka (the Shinkansen will probably go right through it). There's a lot of great things to see there, and the best restaurant in the world (IMO) is in Shin-Osaka, just on the outskirts.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost certainly won't be able to make it, but there's a one in a million chance. I'll be in Japan at about this time for my study abroad, but I'll probably arrive in late September. And even if I do get there in time, I'll probably be bankrupt, and have to do the bonding thing with my host family, etc.

Who knows though?

Archived