NFL 2014 Week 3: The Struggle is Real

Jace, Extat

After 2 weeks, I am still standing behind my Texans and Browns picks to win their respective divisions.

Next question. Is Denver going to run away with the AFC west? Or are the Chargers going to make it tough? I love that the rumors of Gates demise seem to be false.

I think that Denver is not looking like a worldbeater. To be frank no one is, but they're especially not. They've had two home games where they had to cling for dear life to a lead. And man, John Fox is just not a coach. He's like a risk management executive or something.

I could see San Diego pushing hard against Denver. That ball control game plus a good OLine could hurt Denver significantly. I don't see KC or Oakland doing anything, but SD has a shot.

I'm also excited to see how this revamped D does against the Eagles. Honestly short of two typical Bacarri Rambo pursuit angle disasters (seriously, I hope he was benched on Sunday - maybe that's why Trenton Robinson got the pick late?), this defense has been lights out. And the pass rush has been awesome. But again, it's against two terrible offenses. I wanna see now if they're good enough to disrupt the Chip Kelly offense. Sunday is setting up to be such a moment of truth for both Cousins and the D.

Rambo was benched for Robinson late in the game. And on the radio this morning Cooley said that he expected that when we reactivated Brandon Merriweather this week that we would cut Rambo to make room for him. As a safety you simply cannot make the kind of egregious mistakes he's been making, and I don't see how Haslett could possibly trust having him on the field again. Never thought we'd find a guy to make Reed Doughtey look competent.

God damn, Bears. Can't stop the run game for anything, the running offense looks horrible and Cutler is like a bigger, uglier version of the sex cannon. I'm so tired of the D being unable to tackle. I'm tired of the O being so inconsistent.

Wait, we won? Really? Um...JUST LIKE I PREDICTED

Classic.

I think that Denver is not looking like a worldbeater. To be frank no one is, but they're especially not.

That is a good point, two weeks in, who looks the best? Obviously you don't win the Super Bowl in week 2, but usually a few teams start the season really hot and it isn't until October that their flaws really start to show. There's seven teams without a loss thus far (Philly may get one tonight), and of them, Houston, Denver, Philly, and Arizona have all had some shaky moments against weak teams. That leaves just Buffalo, Carolina and Cincy. Interesting.

I think that Denver is not looking like a worldbeater. To be frank no one is, but they're especially not. They've had two home games where they had to cling for dear life to a lead. And man, John Fox is just not a coach. He's like a risk management executive or something.

I could see San Diego pushing hard against Denver. That ball control game plus a good OLine could hurt Denver significantly. I don't see KC or Oakland doing anything, but SD has a shot.

Speaking of Fox, I have no idea what he was thinking in the final two minutes of the game yesterday. The Chiefs were within the 10 yard line going in to score for the tie and he sat on three time outs. It worked out for him this time, but seeing the Chiefs only had one timeout remaining, why in the world didn't he save the time on the clock in case they scored. That was just a nonsense football decision.

There is a bit of a problem in that the NFL cannot (by agreement with the NFLPA) deactivate a player for more than one game without league approval/reason, IIRC. So the Vikings are probably somewhat stuck.

Can the coach healthy scratch him on game day though?

That is a good point, two weeks in, who looks the best? Obviously you don't win the Super Bowl in week 2, but usually a few teams start the season really hot and it isn't until October that their flaws really start to show. There's seven teams without a loss thus far (Philly may get one tonight), and of them, Houston, Denver, Philly, and Arizona have all had some shaky moments against weak teams. That leaves just Buffalo, Carolina and Cincy. Interesting.

Especially because everyone and their mother picked Carolina to regress. The actual shitty team has been preseason darling Tampa Bay.

I will say on Denver, yeah they haven't looked like the worldbeaters they were last year. But their having two solid wins over 2013 playoff teams is the best pair of wins by anyone except Cincy. Even as both games were closer than they should have been and the Broncos were pretty shitty at closing out both, there was never a moment where I felt like they were in serious danger of actually losing. Infact that last Chiefs was held together by ball and twine - there were two game ending turnovers taken off the board due to penalties.

Speaking of Fox, I have no idea what he was thinking in the final two minutes of the game yesterday. The Chiefs were within the 10 yard line going in to score for the tie and he sat on three time outs. It worked out for him this time, but seeing the Chiefs only had one timeout remaining, why in the world didn't he save the time on the clock in case they scored. That was just a nonsense football decision.

John Fox remains one of the worst gameday coaches in the league. It's baffling to me how even simple strategy eludes some of these guys.

If the Bengals get through the Titans next week (and they should even if all their injured players don't play), then they're looking at a SNF match up on Oct 5th at New England. That will be interesting. I will say, that despite our red zone woes or kicking woes, our offense has barely been stopped and our defense has been very good, especially when Burfict has been in there (think we've only given up 3 points when Burfict has played which is essentially 2 halves of football). We're, once again, the best team that no one is talking about which is probably how they like it and if they shit the bed on national TV again, it'll be the same old story. October 5th is either when people start taking notice of us or when we fall back into obscurity again.

I doubt it's going to be hard to get league approval in the AP case. Regardless, even if he's forced to be activated, he won't play another down as a Viking. I doubt he'll play another down of football ever again.

They've said they're activating him and are going to let the legal system deal with the rest, so I'm expecting him to get his normal workload in week 3.

i think they can do that once and that's it.

I don't think that's correct. The coach has 53 roster guys, but only 45 active guys that can actually dress and play. Santana Moss has been a healthy scratch the first two weeks for the Redskins for example, because he doesn't play special teams. I'm fairly sure that is just the coaches perogative, and if he wants to have him on the roster but inactive on gameday that they can do that every week. However, it would mean that AP is collecting a paycheck every single week.

They've said they're activating him and are going to let the legal system deal with the rest, so I'm expecting him to get his normal workload in week 3.

Wow, I am really surprised. So much for the Vikings taking the high road.

Makes you wonder why they sat him last week. I didn't think AP would see another snap in his lifetime, and here he is getting announced to start the following week.

Makes you wonder why they sat him last week. I didn't think AP would see another snap in his lifetime, and here he is getting announced to start the following week.

He will play again, and deserves to play again after a fair punishment is doled out.

The timing, probably. With that story breaking on Friday afternoon, it would have been a circus with him playing 48 hours later. Not that it won't still be a big story that will make a lot of people disgusted this Sunday, of course.

Reports on Twitter are that Peanut Tillman is going to be put on IR. That's a bummer. I'm no Bears fan but he's been a GREAT player for them for a long time. Given his age and the series of injuries, this could be the end. :frown5:

He will play again, and deserves to play again after a fair punishment is doled out.

The problem is that with a good lawyer, you can delay that punishment for a fair while. And in the meantime, that guy is still playing in the NFL, representing the league. Considering the short shelf life that many of these players have, playing this year is worth a lot more than playing next year.

The Greg Hardy case is a good example, he was already found guilty by a judge, but based on North Carolina law he then has the option to have a jury trial, and that won't happen until 2015. So if you are going to wait until "a fair punishment" is finally decided before a suspension is handed down, then the NFL has to wait until next year. But obviously that isn't going to go over well with the public, considering a judge already found him guilty. The Panthers are in something of an impossible position, where they dont' want to cut him, and they don't want to put him on the field. Ideally (for the Panthers) the NFL would suspend him, but the NFL is worried it will make another gaffe and wants to drag it's feet until the justice system has made a decision.

Reports on Twitter are that Peanut Tillman is going to be put on IR. That's a bummer. I'm no Bears fan but he's been a GREAT player for them for a long time. Given his age and the series of injuries, this could be the end. :frown5:

Yeah, I saw him crying after the injury last night. I suspect he knew that was probably the end for him. Always a sad moment.

Archived