Best places for human rights/greater equality?

naseridrl

If you've got nothing then the Free Cities might be the best place to go. Being based on trade they'd probably have a good amount of social mobility so it'd give someone with nothing a better chance to make something of themselves, especially as trade relies more on the goods themselves than who the person is.

Not in places like Volantis.

Cotter Pyke may be a good example, but Jon... it does matter WHO'S bastard you are, after all.

It does matter who is your father, not denying that, but the same with the Ironborn, probably they even care more about it.

The wildlings are the only ones who do not give a fuck about blood. Except a few tribes and clans.

Exactly, they're great. Arianne and Oberyn would be considered amateurs down there, i'm sure.

Them's fighting words :fencing:

I say both places are quite libidinous. Though the Summer Isles seem to have Firefly-style companions.

As long as the Dornish don't celebrate their dead with sex parties, the Summer Isles win this contest :P

(joking)

As long as the Dornish don't celebrate their dead with sex parties, the Summer Isles win this contest :P

I'm just saying both places have relaxed attitudes about it, so there's greater sexual empowerment. As to human rights as a whole, do we know anything about Summer Isle leadership, or female inheritance? (Or the rights of women to bear arms).

I'm just saying both places have relaxed attitudes about it, so there's greater sexual empowerment. As to human rights as a whole, do we know anything about Summer Isle leadership, or female inheritance? (Or the rights of women to bear arms).

Good point, I guess as long as we don't know more about them, they'd be good for some vacation, but Dorne or Braavos better as home.

All I can remember of the top of my head is about Sarella's mother being captain of a ship, but whether that means she's a captain like Asha I have no idea. But I have wondered for a while if the Rhoyne had any influence on the Summer Islands considering they stopped there, the isle of women etc.

Sarella's mother was a captain and Kojja Mo, the daughter of the Cinnamon Wind's captain, has a fairly important role as translator and commander of the archers. She kills many pirates herself, so she seems to be a capable warrior and since the defense is successful, also a formidable leader.

Yep, here and here

Sarella's mother was a captain and Kojja Mo, the daughter of the Cinnamon Wind's captain, has a fairly important role as translator and commander of the archers. She kills many pirates herself, so she seems to be a capable warrior and since the defense is successful, also a formidable leader.

Yep, here and here

Ah, nice! I'd say both are great places for human rights then. Depending on the strength of the economy for the SI, I might opt for Dorne myself, though they're about to get dragged into Westeros's war.

"Human Rights" and "Greater Equality" and "Sexual Freedom" do not necessarily have much in common. The best place for "Human Rights" is probably Westeros, because it is the center of the ideal of the "True Knight", which holds that the true king, or queen, or lord, or knight, must use his power to defend the weak, etc., as opposed to indulging his power of choice to do whatever he/she likes. Of course, the ideal usually fails in practice, but from what we have seen, other places are worse, with an even greater tendency to celebrate the principle that might makes right, and with even worse results.

Lys ;)

Realistically i'd say Dorne I guess. I'm not a fan of very hot weather but they're all very sexually liberated down there which is a big bonus for me. Would rather not be hounded by the Faith constantly :P

The Dornish follow the The Faith, they are just loose.

And the climate is the biggest reason I wouldn't live in Dorne.

You need to read more if you think inequality is the only way a story can be interesting.

I'm throwing my hat in for Dorne as well, although politically Bravoos is also good.

witticisme

EDIT: I now feel I vaguely owe this thread a proper reply. I do find that peace and love and brotherhood and democracy, applied to Westeros / real life middle ages, make me cringe slightly, but, since the question was asked -

I'd rather be poor but skilled, of either sex, in the Iron Islands, or ignoble but loaded in Braavos

Summer Islands > Dorne (> rest of Westeros)

It is known.

The Summer Islands are a place that celebrate the "right" of 12-year old girls to be prostitutes. I honestly don't know whose side GRRM is on here, but I have a very serious disagreement with anyone who thinks that is a human rights victory.

The Summer Islands are a place that celebrate the "right" of 12-year old girls to be prostitutes. I honestly don't know whose side GRRM is on here, but I have a very serious disagreement with anyone who thinks that is a human rights victory.

All we know is that they respect prostitution as a profession and don't see it as something shameful/dirty like Westeros does. I don't remember any mentions of 12-year old girls from the SI being prostitutes or it being celebrated by anyone from the Summer Islands. Can you provide quotes? Maybe i've missed that.

Archived