Best places for human rights/greater equality?

naseridrl

Lys ;)

Realistically i'd say Dorne I guess. I'm not a fan of very hot weather but they're all very sexually liberated down there which is a big bonus for me. Would rather not be hounded by the Faith constantly :P

Lys seems to me as one big brothel where some remaining valyrian lookin' slaves are sold. Shitty place, I think.

Why?

basically a racial topic I don't particularly want to drag up, but Martin nowhere else shows more clearly the extent to which his comfort zone is western feudal - and I reckon he should stay in that zone, rather than 'entertain' us with a jolly, homogenous, dark-skinned, sexually insatiable, feather wearing, technologically backward stereotype

I dearly hope he never reads this though, otherwise we'll probably get half a book devoted to painstaking attempts to give the Summer Islands complexity. That's how you end up with Meereen

Slaver's Bay seemed/seems to have a status quo which the nobility and rich like a lot, but you know, slavery. Also, too hot. Also, war and plague. Also, loose dragons.

Westeros seems pretty nice, sure the Faith can be rather imposing but they don't seem to be going around killing people for perversions anyway. The North is great as long as you're loyal and respectful. It's a bit cold but unless you're under the jurisdiction of House Bolton then you're fine really.

The Riverlands currently consist of corpses, acres of burnt and bloodstained land and poverty stricken villages. As lovely as Edmure is, I wouldn't want to live there.

The Westerlands are quite well off. There's been little enough engagement there so nobody's struggling as much as the war torn Riverlands. That said, you have the Ironmen nearby.

The Crownlands are little better than the Riverlands. King's Landing and specifically Flea Bottom just seems like a pretty bad place to live unless you're rich, even with the Tyrells helping out with food-giving popularity stunts. At least there's some more security.

The Stormlands and the Reach have been relatively unaffected by the war and seem to be doing fairly well. The Tyrells certainly seem more liberal with their acceptance of Loras (at least I know Margaery and Olenna don't really care) and since they know popularity with the masses is good to have I imagine everyone is doing pretty well.

The Iron Islands..well..I just don't like the Drowned God nor his representatives :P They are a hard people living on their windy, sea bashed rocks. Life seems bleak but the Ironmen do seem to take that in their stride.

Dorne is your typical casual "it's just so hot why don't we take all our clothes off" area and the war hasn't touched it, but i imagine life on the more fertile plains in Dorne is considerably easier than life in the desert.

Beyond the Wall everything is coming to kill you so nothanks.

The Free Cities just seem really creepy, with shadow cults and assassins lurking in every corner. Life may be just fine there but from what I gather they are not as pleasant as certain parts of Westeros are. Especially with the Dothraki lurking.

I don't know enough about Volantis or the Summer Isles but most people we meet from the latter don't seem all that bad.

So, maybe Dorne, maybe the North, maybe the Reach. One of those three I think.

We saw that Dorne has more equality for the nobles, but for the people? Seen nothing to show it's different from the rest of Westeros in that regard. And it's currently governed by a vengeance hungry cabal that's about to do something stupid. I'd stay away from them from the time being,

Braavos for me..

All we know is that they respect prostitution as a profession and don't see it as something shameful/dirty like Westeros does. I don't remember any mentions of 12-year old girls from the SI being prostitutes or it being celebrated by anyone from the Summer Islands. Can you provide quotes? Maybe i've missed that.

"serve for a few years after their flowerings to honor the gods". ACOK-15

"flowering" is usually 10.5 to 14.5 years. So perhaps I should have said TEN year old girls.

We saw that Dorne has more equality for the nobles, but for the people? Seen nothing to show it's different from the rest of Westeros in that regard. And it's currently governed by a vengeance hungry cabal that's about to do something stupid. I'd stay away from them from the time being,

Braavos for me..

There's no stigma in Dorne for bastardy, and the vengeance hungry ruler (who is justifyable outraged) is shown in the Water Gardens because of his concern for all of Dorne's innocents...nobles and peasants alike. One of the best friends of the Princess of Dorne is an orphan. The lowborn are certainly not shunned. Yes, Dorne may enter the fray soon, but that's a large risk anywhere in Planetos.

There's no stigma in Dorne for bastardy

No, there are stigma in Dorne for bastard, they only treat bastard better than other part of Westero, In Dorn, a bastard still can not inherit fater's title and property, and there is no way a female bastard in Dorn could marry to a Dorn great Lord or his heir

Lys is the capital of poisons, a huge Breaking Bad-esque city.

I don't recall it being a sex slavery center.

Like, 75% of the time, when Lys is mentioned it includes the phrase "every whore in Lys."

That places's whole hat is being a blonde hooker.

No, there are stigma in Dorne for bastard, they only treat bastard better than other part of Westero, In Dorn, a bastard still can not inherit fater's title and property, and there is no way a female bastard in Dorn could marry to a Dorn great Lord or his heir

That's not what "stigma" means...that's about the legal reality of bastards and political pragmatism of marrying into powerful houses. In Dorne there is no shame or dishonor in being a bastard...aka no social stigma.

There's no stigma in Dorne for bastardy, and the vengeance hungry ruler (who is justifyable outraged) is shown in the Water Gardens because of his concern for all of Dorne's innocents...nobles and peasants alike. One of the best friends of the Princess of Dorne is an orphan. The lowborn are certainly not shunned. Yes, Dorne may enter the fray soon, but that's a large risk anywhere in Planetos.

I'd be more impressed by Doran's concern for all of the innocent if he hadn't brushed off Elia off when she made one of the most sensible and noble speech in the entire book. Every single person involved in the rape and murder of Ellaria and her children are dead and they're still going ahead with a plan that will get plenty of innocent killed.

That's not what the word stigma means.

Archived