Best recent fanatsy debuts (or thoughts on these books)?

End of Disc One

Yeah see now I'm going to have to buy it and I will either love it and freak out that the author responded to my post or hate it and feel bad because the author responded to my post. Or in the rare third case find out it's filled with weird bizarre sex and just feel uncomfortable.

Maybe it'll be a combination of the first two that will result in the third.

Yeah, Robin Hobb should totally come here. She'd get mad love.

Yeah...well...this board has a..uh..rep for not being uh, kind, to the female authors. I believe there was a post along the lines of LOL FEAMLE AUTHORS AL SUXOR WHY THEY WRITE that got some, eh, traction on certain female authors blog sites a while back. :P

tl;dr: We scares away all the womens.

Yeah...well...this board has a..uh..rep for not being uh, kind, to the female authors. I believe there was a post along the lines of LOL FEAMLE AUTHORS AL SUXOR WHY THEY WRITE that got some, eh, traction on certain female authors blog sites a while back. :P

tl;dr: We scares away all the womens.

Maybe Vox Day should start posting here then...

When there is more discussion here of the works of a single male author who is a midlister than on all female authors in SFF combined, can you blame them? ;)

Promise of Blood is on the "to read" list - hoping it's good.

The Thousand Names was solid. The attention to historical detail was great, the three main characters were solid, but the plot is predictable. The sequel was a lot better. Great female characters, a lesbian centric love story, and a lot of discussion on social issues ... plus all the good things from the first book.

Blood Song was as good as The Thousand Names - it had a decent main character, but it told a pretty straight forward story and a lot of the secondary characters don't feel too inspired. I'm not finished with the sequel, but so far it hasn't been too good. Most of the newly introduced narrators are really struggling.

From what I've read, go with Wexler - the payoff's in the sequel.

Malice / Gwynn got a big thumbs up from Conn Iggulden ... described in the promo as "master of epic historical fiction himself" ... which some would think bodes badly ....

George Martin and Gardner Dozois invited Iggulden to write a story in Down These Strange Streets anthology. So they must have enjoyed his fiction.

I might be the only one on this forum who likes Iggulden's novels... I'm currently reading Stormbird, first book in Wars of the Roses series.

George Martin and Gardner Dozois invited Iggulden to write a story in Down These Strange Streets anthology. So they must have enjoyed his fiction.

I might be the only one on this forum who likes Iggulden's novels... I'm currently reading Stormbird, first book in Wars of the Roses series.

Which is so awful as to make Phillipa Gregory's novels look good.

Yeah...well...this board has a..uh..rep for not being uh, kind, to the female authors.

Apart from KJ Parker, JK Rowling (more back in the day than now, but still), JV Jones, Robin Hobb and Lois McMaster Bujold, you mean? And we've had some interesting - if relatively brief - discussions about the likes of Janny Wurts, Kameron Hurley and Anne Leckie as well.

We do skew a bit more to talking about male authors, but it's not quite as bad as you make out.

Archived