Dragons around Asshai?

Jalabar Xho

"The whole world was spread out below him, a tapestry of white and brown and green. ... saw clear across the narrow sea, to the Free Cities and the green Dothraki sea and beyond, to Vaes Dothrak under its mountain, to the fabled lands of the Jade Sea, to Asshai by the Shadow, where dragons stirred beneath the sunrise."

Hey guys, this is my second post surrounding dragons in asoiaf and I have had an idea that spouted from a recent purchase. So I bought the map collection, 'The Lands of Ice and Fire',and essentially I looked around the area everyone wants to see... Asshai.

I looked here for two reasons,

1.) Ghost grass, as a lover of the Dothraki I simply had to look at an artistic impression of something I have always wondered about

2.) The Red God, now Asshai is arguably the most mysterious city, perhaps second to Valyria, and it is unquestionably the most magical and 'free' (people practice what they wish in Asshai) city on the globe.

Asshai is by the shadow, whatever that means, and it situated at the edge of a vast peninsula comprised of volcanic and mountainous scenery. Now to me this is eerily reminiscent of Valyria and the fourteen fires, where Dragons were found. Now 'The Shadow' is possibly a thousand times bigger than the FF and arguably replicates the conditions found in the Valyrian volcanoes. Essentially I feel there are Dragons in Asshai, though they are hidden away inside the Volcanoes and may be dormant.

I understand this lacks the credibility of most theories (I'm not even sure it can be called a theory) although I feel their could be some credibility to it and Bran's vision was simply a hint left by GRRM.

thanks for reading, please leave any comments or revisions below!

Jalabar Xho

youd think asshai would be much bigger if they had dragons, just look at valyria's borders

Couldn't...

The lords freeholder of Valyria ruled the greater part of the known world; they were sorcerers, great in lore, and alone of all the races of man they had learned to breed dragons and bend them to their will.

Forward to The Sworn Sword

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

I think there are dragons in the Shadowlands around Asshai, but the Asshai'i have not learned to control them like the Valyrians had. :)

I hope not, and that it was the past that Bran saw

Vaes Dothrak has only been around for less than 400 years (after the Doom), so even if it was in the past, it would be post Doom and dragonlords...

:)

I agree more or less. But I don't expect wild dragons from the far east to impact our plot unless they come swooping down to save Master Snow and Samwise... I mean Samwell... after Hardhome blows...

Else we'll have another Eagle situation from the LotR.

And at least part of Illyrio's fortune came from trading in dragonbone.

I missed this somehow. How ironic.

What intrigues me about this vision has always been "beneath the sunrise." Asshai is typically seen as a "dark" place to me, literally (by the shadow) and figuratively (dark magic). But there is an abundance of light beneath a sunrise. Very nice imagery from GRRM

The Shadow Lands is the area to the Northwest of Asshai, thus people talk about 'Asshai by the Shadow'.

The wiki describes the Shadow Lands as "mountainous peninsula". Just FYI. :)

Asshai is supposed to be situated between two mountain ranges so tall and close that the light of the sun only reaches the bottom of the valley very briefly each day. Hence the name.

Archived