Casually smashing a theory to pieces....

Elessar

Just watched Elio and Linda's "World of Ice and Fire" you tube video and something jumped out at me. Around the 28 minute mark Elio mentions George "casually smashing a theory to pieces".

Any ideas what this might be? Has any light been shed on this since?

I think they might be referring to people needing or not needing Valyrian blood to ride a dragon.

Nope, it was actually about Ser Gerold Dayne, aka Darkstar. There have been theories that he is the real son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, a lovechild of a Stark and Ashara Dayne, or even that he is the real Prince Aegon. I.e. that he is not who he seems to be. Well, revelation of his age - mid-to -late twenties, IIRC, put an end to all of that.

Nope, it was actually about Ser Gerold Dayne, aka Darkstar. There have been theories that he is the real son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, a lovechild of a Stark and Ashara Dayne, or even that he is the real Prince Aegon. I.e. that he is not he he seems to be. Well, revelation of his age - mid-to -late twenties, IIRC, put an end to all of that.

But his age was revealed in the official app. I thought that the comment about smahing a theory to pieces was about something GRRM had put in the world book?

Nope, it was actually about Ser Gerold Dayne, aka Darkstar. There have been theories that he is the real son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, a lovechild of a Stark and Ashara Dayne, or even that he is the real Prince Aegon. I.e. that he is not he he seems to be. Well, revelation of his age - mid-to -late twenties, IIRC, put an end to all of that.

I actually came across someone arguing, based on the revealed age range, that Darkstar is the real Viserys, lol.

Nope, it was actually about Ser Gerold Dayne, aka Darkstar. There have been theories that he is the real son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, a lovechild of a Stark and Ashara Dayne, or even that he is the real Prince Aegon. I.e. that he is not who he seems to be. Well, revelation of his age - mid-to -late twenties, IIRC, put an end to all of that.

This pretty much has nothing to do with what he was asking lol.

And as others have said his age was revealed in the app already and others have used hints to guess his age was mid twenties way before that.

I think it will have to do with dragon taming / dragon blood. I think GRRM will just smash all theories that you can ride a dragon without some of the special 40 dragon lord blood.

IIRC some amount of the new info in the app is from the World book, so I am not sure that really rules out that this is what they were referring to (though I am sure there is a good chance they were referring to something else, and I am sure there will not be a shortage of theories that get smashed by the World book).

It should also be kept in mind that this is being presented as the work of a contemporary of the modern ASOIAF characters with their own biases and limitations, who is using the accounts of other characters from that world all with their own biases and limitations.

I expect plenty of information we as readers don't know or yet have access to, but the author and compiler of the book shouldn't have first hand or secret knowledge about matters from the past that nobody else has knowledge or access to knowledge of.

I think we will learn more about the different, often contradictory, things people in Westeros believe about this or that person or event, but I don't expect to get to the actual truth of the matter in most cases, and find out information that nobody in Westeros would know.

I think there is theory that Starks have claim to throne through Prince Duncan the Small

Even without taking into account the preliminary Stark tree that got out there, I wouldn't think that would even be possible.

I wouldn't expect a child of Duncan and Jenny to be old enough to marry anyone in the ruling Stark line prior to Rickard (whose eldest was born around 261/262).

And we already know from the main series that Ned's mother's mother was a Flint.

Besides, I think if a Stark prior to Rickard's children ever married a Targaryen it was a daughter of Jaehaerys I, perhaps Cregan's father or grandfather.

Any clarifications on certain theories would most likely have to do with stuff related to the past, i.e. with the (alleged) heritage, birth date, or relations of certain characters.

As to new hints on theories on core mysteries of the series which have not yet been touched upon:

Depending on how Maester Yandel deals with the certain mysteries that are already explored in the main series (powers of the greenseers/skinchangers, for instance), there may actually be some clues to other historical mysteries, although it is not all that likely that Yandel himself believes in stuff like that (as he will most likely be a rather orthodox maester).

It is also very unlikely that the schemes, intrigues, and plots of the various Varys' and Littlefingers of the Targaryen era - if such people existed in those days - would ever be uncovered by a historian, however thorough and unbiased he may be, unless future events led to the unravelling of those plots (for instance, if Varys and Illyrio are eventually revealed as the powers behind Aegon, future historians will be able to put a lot of the puzzle together, and the same should be true if Littlefinger is ever exposed to the public in a trial or through one of his accomplices).

I bet on Tyrion = son of Aerys.

Even if that turns out to be true and is somehow revealed in the main series, why should the maester compiling the World book have any knowledge of it? And even if he had heard rumors of Joanna having an affair or being raped, it would be pretty dangerous to put it in the book with Tywin still around and one of the more powerful supporters of the throne.

Even if he desired to make Aerys look bad, he could not do so without touching on matters that would be likely to put him in hot water with Tywin, not to mention Robert's queen, and one of his Kingsguard. I suppose it could be done as a later addition after Tywin died, but the Lannisters are still in power, so why risk it?

Even if Tywin himself suspected, he raised Tyrion as his own rather than deal with him as he brutally dealt with the known children of Rhaegar. In a way, if Tyrion ends up being Aerys' son, Tywin and Ned, on such opposite ends of the spectrum in so many ways, both hid the identity of and raised a Targaryen child that wasn't theirs as their own. Of course, Ned knew, while Tywin might have only suspected.

Even if that turns out to be true and is somehow revealed in the main series, why should the maester compiling the World book have any knowledge of it? And even if he had heard rumors of Joanna having an affair or being raped, it would be pretty dangerous to put it in the book with Tywin still around and one of the more powerful supporters of the throne.

Even if he desired to make Aerys look bad, he could not do so without touching on matters that would be likely to put him in hot water with Tywin, not to mention Robert's queen, and one of his Kingsguard. I suppose it could be done as a later addition after Tywin died, but the Lannisters are still in power, so why risk it?

Even if Tywin himself suspected, he raised Tyrion as his own rather than deal with him as he brutally dealt with the known children of Rhaegar. In a way, if Tyrion ends up being Aerys' son, Tywin and Ned, on such opposite ends of the spectrum in so many ways, both hid the identity of and raised a Targaryen child that wasn't theirs as their own. Of course, Ned knew, while Tywin might have only suspected.

I doubt that such a theory as Aerys + Joanna = Tyrion, or Aerys + Joanna = Jaime and Cersei, or Ashara + Brandon = Allyria, or any other Ashara + ?? = ?? theory, for that matter, will be proven correct. If anything, the world book can proof such theories wrong, (as "smashing a theory to pieces" suggests just that, that it isn't proven, but proven wrong).

If the World book says that A was in location 1 during year X, Y and Z, while B was in location 2, at the other side of Westeros, during those same years, then A+B cannot be C if C was born in year Y or Z for example ;)

If I'm still making sense. :)

This pretty much has nothing to do with what he was asking lol.

And as others have said his age was revealed in the app already and others have used hints to guess his age was mid twenties way before that.

I think it will have to do with dragon taming / dragon blood. I think GRRM will just smash all theories that you can ride a dragon without some of the special 40 dragon lord blood.

He already smashed that when he allowed Nettle to ride Sheepstealer.

He already smashed that when he allowed Nettle to ride Sheepstealer.

Pretty sure the mentioning of "seeds" over and over and even going as far as to point out most people on DragonStone have a drop or two of dragon blood does not smash anything.

I think it will be written more than once in the World Book that no other people EVER have been able to ride a dragon in five thousand years is ment for us to get the idea you NEED dragon lord blood to ride a dragon.

Archived