Casually smashing a theory to pieces....

Elessar

The Stark family tree from the book was released months ago and it has Ned's mother on it. She was a cousin of Rickard's named Lyarra. Her parents were Rodrik Stark and Arya Flint. So I don't think the OP is talking about Ned's mom.

That's actually why I think it may be about Ned's mom - I believe the video the OP is referring to was uploaded around May, which, again if I recall correctly, was around the time the family tree was released. My timing could be off though.

How about the Roose Bolton theory that he steals souls and the reason we have no Bolton ancestors is because Roose is the only Bolton?

I hope thats crushed to pieces.

Among the preview pages Barnes and Noble has up is one on Kings of Winter, which shows there were at least four Royce (which seems like it could be related to the name Roose) Boltons and a Roger.

So while I suppose this doesn't explicitly disprove that Roose isn't thousands of years old, lol, it does show that there are many Bolton ancestors and kings, we just haven't been told about them or their names.

Roose has had two sons himself, so it is not as if the Boltons demonstrate a lack of ability to procreate.

And until the World Book we also didn't know the names of Ned's mother, or Tywin's mother, or the names of Doran's parents (not sure we are even told this in the World Book), so it is not unusual for us not to have names of previous Boltons.

http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9780553805444_p1_v6_s600.JPG

There are lots of silly but popular theories that could be easily smashed and that GRRM probably doesn't even know about. Like High Sparrpw = Howland Reed, which is completely ludicrous anyway, but could be easily rendered 100% impossible by giving away some data about the life of High Sparrow or about Howland's whereabouts and actions.

Well, of course, but I don't see any reason why Yandel should cover the High Sparrow at all. If he is not somebody in disguise he's just some wandering septon. We would not even recognize if he was mentioned by name in the book.

Damp Hair,

we have known that for quite some time, since a preliminary version of the tree has been released in an excerpt, but I'd suggest you don't reveal anything else in here unless you make sure that's allowed by now.

As the keepers of this website were co authors of the world book and I already have 1 warning point I'm gonna go ahead and guess that me posting spoilerz will be frowned upon.

So frickin excited to have this in my hands though. It's very dense and'll take a good chunk of time to get through. PM me with Qs y'all if ya want and maybe I can reveal a thing or two-

Just watched Elio and Linda's "World of Ice and Fire" you tube video and something jumped out at me. Around the 28 minute mark Elio mentions George "casually smashing a theory to pieces".

Any ideas what this might be? Has any light been shed on this since?

Has anyone figured out yet which theory was casually smashed to pieces?

Any theory that could be "casually smashed" probably wasn't very good to begin with, and wasn't really widely held in the first place. Given Ran's known antipathy for the Heresy threads, I'll go with "The Wall was built to defend the North from the South".

On p12 the NW is recounted as winning the Battle for the Dawn and driving the Others away to the north, then building the Wall to protect the realms of men.

Any theory that could be "casually smashed" probably wasn't very good to begin with, and wasn't really widely held in the first place. Given Ran's known antipathy for the Heresy threads, I'll go with "The Wall was built to defend the North from the South".

On p12 the NW is recounted as winning the Battle for the Dawn and driving the Others away to the north, then building the Wall to protect the realms of men.

Not sure I see how a maester's thoughts on an event that happened six thousand years before his writing about it could prove or disprove what actually happened. *shrug*

Archived