Aussies LXIII - Fear Inc

Stubby

I'm not sure why they feel the need to remind us every 2 minutes what the Shahada means.

General public isn't up on their Islamic vexillology as we've already seen. I would like them to give a bit more context about the flag though.

lots of folks here freaking out that others might freak out

Yeah, because we're a tiny bit more informed about the situation than overseas rubberneckers:

I am seeing a lot of people tweeting/asking about the supposed police raids taking place in Lakemba at the same time as the siege. Ray Hadley, a conservative

presenter with 2GB, said raids of homes in Lakemba, which has a large Muslim population, were taking place now.

Sources have told my colleague Michael Safi there are no raids underway in that suburb. About 20 police are touring the Lakemba mosque as part of a police induction day, which may have been the source of those reports.

NSW Police Commissioner Scipione: 'an armed offender and an undisclosed number of hostages'. No other incidents, operations. Situation well-contained.

No confirmation of individual motivation. Police footing consistent with a terrorist attack but not classified as such.

No direct contact with the armed offender. No connection at this stage with Beecroft operation.

what happened?

Widespread intimidation and harassment of Muslims, especially Muslim women wearing Hijab and Niqab as they are more visible, some violence against Muslims and threats made against Mosques. An attempt to ban people wearing Burqa's from entering Parliament House by right wing fuckwits (I refuse to refer to Corey Bernadi by any other word). You know, the stuff that further marginalises a community and makes radicalisation of some of it's members easier.

It's also still less than 10 years since the Cronulla riots, I'm pretty sure we remember those too even if some of our right wing hack media are trying to retcon that already.

Archived