Aussies LXIII - Fear Inc

Stubby

I am bemused by the Australian determination to try and resolve this peacefully. The debate is just going on now, but since the hostage taker is in camera sight he is in gun sight as well.

They could have taken him out at any moment and surely waiting for him to kill a hostage first before taking action is highly irreponsible.

OK, so one of the female employees who ran out of the cafe is apparently the friend of a friend. Don't know her, but it's a small world. Hoping the escaping of hostages doesn't move the perpetrator to do something worse.

As for Abbott - no field days yet until we know how this all ends. For his deal Shorten did well by coming out and saying he was fully supportive of the government.

As for taking the hostage taker out - I believe they still aren't sure if he's the only one in there. I know news is saying it's only one guy, but if there's more than one, there would be trouble. I'm pretty sure police know more than the news outlets are letting on. Either they know he isn't alone (and therefore don't want to take a shot), or they don't know for sure and don't want to risk it. To take him out you'd have to be 100% sure he's the only perp in there.

I am bemused by the Australian determination to try and resolve this peacefully. The debate is just going on now, but since the hostage taker is in camera sight he is in gun sight as well.

They could have taken him out at any moment and surely waiting for him to kill a hostage first before taking action is highly irreponsible.

You and Commodore are just full of useful information today.

Abbott will be having a field day.

He's handled this sensibly so far.

Down the track, this incident is going to be used in rhetoric to push for more surveillance and detention powers, not that the Opposition was likely to stand in the way in any case.

I am bemused by proud of the Australian determination to try and resolve this peacefully.

Things aren't over yet but I just finished saying how well the NSW police appear to be handling the situation.

I assume your bemusement stems from your greater access to information at the site than the police who are managing the situation? Because otherwise it's just unhelpful posturing based on nothing in particular. Presumably if they aren't shooting people through windows it's because they feel the alternative is the course most likely to bring people out alive, and not because they're naive hicks who don't have the wherewithal to give the terrorists what they deserve.

Wow...just wow.

I've also seen reports on Twitter of four bombs. I think both of those should be considered unsubstantiated rumour at this point.

My Dad works in a building very close to the cafe and spent the day locked down by police. His building is now being allowed to leave floor by floor through one of the back exits.

Yeah it has been reported that he has been demanding to speak to Tony Abbott from start.

There was a claim that he said the Sydney opera house had a bomb he planted earlier this morning. Which has since been shut down and cleared. Though all performances have been cancelled there until this is fully resolved. Which I think is fair enough.

But I'm not sure how substantial the claims to IEDs in the café and other locations are.

Even if it is a bluff. It's still something the police have to take seriously.

It's the first that I've read he is demanding an ISIL flag in exchange for 1 hostage. That seems like media Hyperbole to me. But I'm not there.

This would be really great if all this comes to an end with no casualties or injuries.

The stress for the hostages, their family and friends. Must be so huge. Almost unbearable. Thinking of them.

Sydney is a pretty huge place. So the first thing I did was to make sure everyone I know in Sydney is no where near there. (They aren't) and come here to see if the Sydney boarders are all safe and ok.

Archived