Aussies LXIII - Fear Inc

Stubby

It's the first that I've read he is demanding an ISIL flag in exchange for 1 hostage. That seems like media Hyperbole to me. But I'm not there.

It's Channel 10 saying they received a call from one of the hostages. Whether you consider that reliable or not is your own call.

Hey Aussies, I hope board members in Sydney (and their families and friends) are safe and that this hostage taking is over soon. Hugs, guys.

Thanks EB, I think I can confirm we're all safe.

Ok so (not saying it's related in anyway.) There is another Hostage situation happening right now in Belgium.

4 armed men have entered a flat in the Belgian city of Ghent police have sealed off the area

Is the most I have read about it.

Just wanted to add. Apart from the flack that is coming from the Selfie takers and the people rocking up to the hostage situation with alcohol.

There is a hashtag taking off that it making me pretty darn proud to be Australian.

#illridewithyou.

I think Horza has the right of it, although there is very little information about who is in there, it seems the hostages have been able to contact family and friends so you'd hope any of us would know about it if our friends or family were in there.

Looks like they are settling in for the long haul - some of my friends have been told not to go into work tomorrow.

Concluding thoughts for the evening: I think the odds in favour of this being the work of a lone, distressed old fella with a few roos loose in the top paddock have increased significantly over the last several hours.

I'm not any kind of hostage negotiation expert, but I suspect that barring any unforseen developments the approach will be to lay off for the night, let him have the pleasure of trying to babysit a dozen or more terrified people and ask afresh in the morning whether he wants to discuss constructively ways of extracting himself from this unfortunate position.

I agree, I think it's usually the case that time is on the side of the authorities. Presumably the hostage taker (if he is alone) will be getting pretty tired and unless one of the hostages has health issues or escalates things by taking matters into their own hands, I think the police will be content to wait this out.

Glad the twitter tag is gaining steam. I must confess that I've been a little wary of how Australian society at large deals with these sorts of issues (my own parents can be pretty racist sometimes, but it's not just a generational thing when you think of stuff like the Cronulla riots) but glad to see most people are responding well.

First heard about this at about 4:30 GMT when my sister called me up cause our dad's in Australia and she hasn't heard from him in a while, had to tell her that he's visiting family in Perth and he hates overpriced coffee and chocolate so I doubt he'd be anywhere near a Lindt in Sydney.

Other than that hope this gets resolved a peacefully as possible

Ok so (not saying it's related in anyway.) There is another Hostage situation happening right now in Belgium.

Is the most I have read about it.

3 people have been arrested for it, authorities are saying it wasn't terrorist

I think police have asked people to not share the videos, the TV stations aren't doing it and I believe youtube has started deleting them. I saw one, looked legit to me.

Good move. No need for this guy to get any more attention, the TV channels are doing that easily enough.

Sleep's going to get the better of me I think. I do wonder how the hostage taker (if he is solo) is going to manage the whole sleeping thing (let alone the whole toilet thing).

Hoping that I wake up to some good news in the morning with everyone unharmed.

Police okaying identification of the hostage-taker.

Introducing Man Haron Monis, a 49-year old Iranian refugee and a violent nutcase with a long string of sexual assault charges and a history of sending abusive letters to the families of Australian servicemen who lost their lives in Afghanistan.

The gunman, who arrived in Australia as a refugee in 1996, achieved notoriety after he sent letters to the families of Diggers who lost their lives in Afghanistan, accusing them of being murderers.

In November last year, he was charged with being an ­accessory before and after the fact to the murder of his ex-wife, who was allegedly stabbed and set alight in her apartment complex. In March, he was charged with sexually and indecently assaulting a young woman in 2002.

As police negotiators settled in for a night talking to the man, sources close to the incident urged caution in labelling the attack as one organised or inspired by al-Qa’ida or any similar terrorist group, such as Islamic State. Instead, they painted a picture of an unstable individual well known to NSW Police and the Australian Federal Police and whose moti­vations were not ­entirely clear.

Sleep's going to get the better of me I think. I do wonder how the hostage taker (if he is solo) is going to manage the whole sleeping thing (let alone the whole toilet thing).

I'm glad someone brought up the toilet thing before me haha. It really seems like if you want to hold hostages for extended periods of time you need at least one other person with you to keep watch while you take a shit/have a nap.

Anyone reckon the Telegraph will retract its headline?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Also. Go to bed Horza. ;)

I will when the Tele retracts :p

As well as being on bail for being an accessory to his ex-wife's murder, Haron's facing a huge pile of sexual assault charges from his 'black magic' spiritual healing service:

Police allege that Monis, who also goes by the name Mohammad Hassan Manteghi, was a self-proclaimed "spiritual healer" who operated out of premises on Station Street at Wentworthville between 2000 and 2002.

Investigations into Monis began in January when the first victim came forward and police established Strike Force Yorkfield to investigate the allegations. It led to Monis' arrest at Bexley North where he was charged and later refused bail.

Police said the woman, who was 27 at the time, allegedly saw an advertisement for "spiritual consultation" in a local newspaper and contacted Monis. He told her he was an expert in astrology, numerology, meditation and black magic and advised her to visit his clinic.

The woman visited the clinic twice within a week. On the first occasion it will be alleged that Monis indecently assaulted her. A week later he is alleged to have indecently and sexually assaulted her. "The assaults are alleged to have been undertaken under the guise of a spiritual healing technique, and the man warned the woman not to tell anyone about them," police said in a statement.

Archived