Aussies LXIII - Fear Inc

Stubby

Why is it reassuring if this I*****c terrorist is a lone wolf?

To be clear your question is, why is one unstable person alone preferable to multiple organised people working together?

While I know that's supposed to a loaded question designed to bait answers, it does speak to one of the reason that this doesn't fundamentally change us. The idea that a single person with limited means is capable of causing great tragedy without warning may well be quite frightening, but it isn't new or especially unique. We, individually and as a country, have dealt with it before and, I believe, dealt with it well. It was, without doubt, a significant crime and a great tragedy, but it doesn't alter anything fundamental about the country itself or demand any particular re-evaluation. The only thing about this that could "change us forever" would be if the government used it as an excuse for even greater restrictions of freedoms or to incite greater distrust of asylum seekers. Which I suspect they will.

Really? Starring out Islamic like it's a swear word? Go look to your own fucking back yard with plenty of C*******n terrorists committing atrocities.

have to be careful about using certain words in context, been warned about it before

To be clear your question is, why is one unstable person alone preferable to multiple organised people working together?

While I know that's supposed to a loaded question designed to bait answers, it does speak to one of the reason that this doesn't fundamentally change us.

Concern being this religion ideology does not need organization to act upon. It's self starting.

[mod hat]

As per board custom, in he case of an emergent and developing story let us defer the political dissection in a different thread.

I will also point out it is extremely rude to leverage off of the tragedy of another country to pound on your own pet issues, be it gun issues or Islam issues.

So with that in mind, let us return the focus to the developing story.

My thoughts are with all the Aussie boarders at this difficult time.

[/mod hat]

Really? Starring out Islamic like it's a swear word? Go look to your own fucking back yard with plenty of C*******n terrorists committing atrocities.

Huh, I thought it was "lunatic", as that made more sense to me initially.

If I hear one more report about how this will "change Australia forever", I am going to vomit.

The media outlets have a lot to answer for. I've been very disappointed with Fairfax and the ABC's coverage. They've been as guilty of impulsive broadcasting, repeating meaningless phrases ("change us forever" etc) and fanning the flames as the usual suspects.

Jeor, thanks for that eloquent rebuttal. It seems to have done the job.

I've been out of the loop for the last 8 hours or so.

However, my first post on the matter related to Sky News speculating on why the police snipers did not take the guy out when his face was first clearly in camera sight. Camera sight means in sniper sight. Back then I said it was irresponsible of the Aussie authorities to try and end this peacefully. And that by the time hostages started dying, it was too late to try and take the guy down.

Well, I was lambasted for that position. Turns out that if they had taken him out right at the start, a number of innocent hostage lives would have been saved.

So much for trying to do this the gentle way.

And in the end, the reasons for not taking the shot are clear.

"There would be so many unknowns - there could be four more guys in there, or two of the hostages could have been 'sleepers'," Dan said.

"He could have had IEDs (improvised explosive devices) rigged up.

"As a sniper you would probably like to take that shot - but making that order could have a much larger-scale impact."

"The window would have shattered, glass would have splattered and put the hostages at risk, the bullet could have been deflected," Mr Small said.

"They were also talking about him having a backpack full of explosives. Everyone in that cafe, their lives were at risk."

And in the end, the reasons for not taking the shot are clear.

Yeah the Sydney Morning Herald had a similar article yesterday. Added to the above reasons, it seems that the photo of Monis was taken early in the day prior to the police establishing themselves, suggesting that just because he was in a camera's sites does not necessarily place him in a sniper's sites.

Just went past Martin Place tonight (I had a musical gig around there). The sheer volume of floral tributes is amazing and there were whole crowds of people there, many of them taking photos but many others just watching people lay flowers down. You could sense the solemnity and for the amount of people there, there wasn't very much crowd noise. The windows of the cafe have been blacked out and there's a whole chainlinked fence around it, I suppose they're in place for the police investigators who have an unenviable job to do.

Morrison in social services. Jesus fucking Christ.

Up until now, Morrison's injustice was reserved for the least fortunate i.e. voiceless refugees. Out of sight, out of mind. Now it's time for ordinary working class people, the unemployed, the disabled, single parents, students and other people in need of assistance to face Morrison's wrath. This must be an ideological appointment, because unlike refugees, most of these people will vote. It's almost as if Abbott has accepted that he'll be a one-term PM and he's decided to use the remainder of his time in power to punish the less fortunate. Interestingly, defense has also been treated with contempt, with Johnston and now Andrews.

Archived