R+L=J v. 107

Rhaenys_Targaryen

"Precedent" is a legal term. There are no "legal" marriages in the seven kingdoms. In the Seven Kingdoms a marriage is legally valid if a religion holds it to be valid. Nothing in the text suggests polygamy is practiced in the Seven Kingdoms.

There were polygamous Targaryen marriages in the 7K and they were recognised. Nothing in the text suggests that this has changed.

What? Burning the mother? Where are you getting that idea from?

Rhaella died in childbirth, due to unknown complications, possibly age-related (she was in her forties when giving birth to Daenerys). We know of no other Targaryen women, IIRC, who died in childbirth.

Death during childbirth was pretty common, so yeah, I don't think it was any sort of 'curse'. It just happens.

but blood was, maybe the blood lyana was laying in was rhaegar's spilled by fire, would explain how he was rekt by robert on the trident

Very unlikely. Lyanna died in her bed of blood. Many chapters later we learn, through a Dany POV, that bloody bed is a reference to childbirth.

I've heard a Targaryen wedding consist on the bride and groom branding each other's buttocks with Valyrian Steel and wildfire.

"Promise me, Ned... Promise me you won't let others think this is a tramp stamp!"

Your bad. :)

BUT I wouldn't be at all surprised to find both Fire and Ice ceremonies to be gruesome affairs.

Remember Brans vision of the old woman with the scythe getting ready to kill the bound man before her, feeding the weirwood with his blood?

And having a woman oversee such a thing might actually point to the possibility of the North being more Matriarchal than Patriarchal.

BUT I wouldn't be at all surprised to find both Fire and Ice ceremonies to be gruesome affairs.

Remember Brans vision of the old woman with the scythe getting ready to kill the bound man before her, feeding the weirwood with his blood?

And having a woman oversee such a thing might actually point to the possibility of the North being more Matriarchal than Patriarchal.

Well, we know that daughters can inherit after sons in the North, so it's obvious that both sexes have ruled at some point.

Could be. Could be that such woman was the lady of Winterfell because there was no man at the point (not born or gone to war). The thing is that the Northern seemed to have practised very gruesome stuff up there.

...and combined with whatever extravagant rituals the Targaryen also probably did, one has to feel sorry for Dayne and Whent, like "what's that smell?", "it's nothing, they're courting" :dunno:

Bear Island springs to mind.

bear island is matriachal because of wildlings, not because of northern tradition

It IS Northern tradition, though. Time and time again we hear "A daughter inherits before an uncle"...meaning that women CAN inherit up there. I don't know what Wildlings have to do with it.

dosne't she have daughters? she got married matrilenially only for house mormont because they were in danger of extinction and i believe they will continue to do so unitl a male is born

I'm pretty sure Maege was never married despite her having daughters. You don't technically need one for the other.

It IS Northern tradition, though. Time and time again we hear "A daughter inherits before an uncle"...meaning that women CAN inherit up there. I don't know what Wildlings have to do with it.

the she bear talks about how the women of bear isle are strong because they need to protect from wildling raids while the men are away

the she bear talks about how the women of bear isle are strong because they need to protect from wildling raids while the men are away

...and? The same goes for anyone living in the North. Wildling raiders aren't at all uncommon.

Archived