R+L=J v. 107

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I'm pretty sure Maege was never married despite her having daughters. You don't technically need one for the other.

well that would make sense, since she could legitimize them for house mormont but it would sort of shaken up their claims to the isle and with jorah still out there, im not sure she wants legit bastards as hiers

well that would make sense, since she could legitimize them for house mormont but it would sort of shaken up their claims to the isle and with jorah still out there, im not sure she wants legit bastards as hiers

All of them bear the name Mormont. She had them, married or not, and they took her name. And her daughter is her heir.

The mormonts are an special case, during the time of the books.

First, women in the North probably need to learn how to defend themselves in case of wildlings when the husbands are out hunting, or warring. I'm sure that's not uncommon for them. With that in mind, if such men died, people know that strong women are left in charge. While Southern women learn to sew and dance, Northern women know how to use an axe and fight, something that is more useful and needed up there. Yet, it's not the rule, otherwise, Lyanna, Sansa and Arya would be all warriors. Lyanna was because she wanted to, not because it was expected of her. I suppose that rule doesn't apply to Winterfell as it's the main stronghold there and they don't need to protect themselves.

In the case of the Mormonts, Jorah was meant to be the Lord of BI. And after he got married, Jeor gave up his claims and Maege never married, expecting Jorah would have male sons, which he didn't. As they were left without a male ruler, Maege, being the oldest, had to take charge, and her daughters, inherited the title.

In the case of the Mormonts, Jorah was meant to be the Lord of BI. And after he got married, Jeor gave up his claims and Maege never married, expecting Jorah would have male sons, which he didn't. As they were left without a male ruler, Maege, being the oldest, had to take charge, and her daughters, inherited the title.

Sure, but no one even blinks that Maege is the Lady of Bear Island in her own right and that her daughters will take on after her. OR that Maege and her daughters are there with Robb as advisers.

i think sansa was only raised as a "princess" because of cat, most northern women are more like arya

Well Cat raised Sansa and Arya. I think it's too simplistic to say that Sansa is a mini-Cat and Arya is what northern women are like. Arya and Sansa are different aspects of their aunt Lyanna.

If Arya is a mix of Brandon and Lyanna then Sansa is a misx of Lyanna and Ned.

Arya has Lyanna's wolf blood, Sansa has her romantic nature.

raised by cat dosen't mean much, since arya didn't listen to her most of the time, she probably only liked jon because he was the only person who would teach her fighting.

Arya has the wolf's blood in her but like I said, Sansa has aspects of Lyanna as well. And I was still raised by my mother despite not listening 100% of the time.

And...I think she liked Jon for a lot more reasons. He didn't teach her how to fight, he just gave her a sword. Syrio taught her swordplay. And Jon gave Arya the sword the last time they saw each other and were obviously quite close.

Could be. Could be that such woman was the lady of Winterfell because there was no man at the point (not born or gone to war). The thing is that the Northern seemed to have practised very gruesome stuff up there.

...and combined with whatever extravagant rituals the Targaryen also probably did, one has to feel sorry for Dayne and Whent, like "what's that smell?", "it's nothing, they're courting" :dunno:

Your hair scared me. Had to put the wine glass down. :shocked: :laugh:

Stop making me think of larvae.

I'm pretty sure Maege was never married despite her having daughters. You don't technically need one for the other.

She mated with a "barr," (warging anyone)?

Also every single daughter bears the name MORMONT. Not the name of a husband.

Also an old Scottish tradition. The women kept thier maiden names as it was the name of their clan.

More and more it makes me think that Rickard would not allow Lyanna to carry a sword not because it wasn't permitted in the North for women, but because it would be unseemly to to the poncy Southern boys.

There is the fact that the women had to protect themselves from Wildling raids

(Are you watching "Outlander")?

She mated with a "barr," (warging anyone)?

I really do wonder if she and Tormund had a thing...

More and more it makes me think that Rickard would not allow Lyanna to carry a sword not because it wasn't permitted in the North for women, but because it would be unseemly to to the poncy Southern boys.

There is the fact that the women had to protect themselves from Wildling raids

I agree. Rickard wanted her to be a proper southron lady.

(Are you watching "Outlander")?

Indeed! So good

Sure, but no one even blinks that Maege is the Lady of Bear Island in her own right and that her daughters will take on after her. OR that Maege and her daughters are there with Robb as advisers.

It was likely as it was for pre-Christian Celtic women, (at least the Irish), they could become warriors, Priestesses, or simply marry. It really was their choice and no stigma.

In an old Roman letter home, the soldier wrote "if a man engaged you in battle, you had a chance, but if his mate joined him, you had no chance."

LOL

And Joanna died giving birth to Tyrion. Three main characters (Jon, Dany and Tyrion)--each born in the blood of his/her dying mother. Three heads of the dragon, perhaps?

Obviously. :)

Because all of them are from the North.

At the end, the bastardy of children could be in many cases, handled in great secrecy. For instance, Lady Bigname marries Lord Noonecares, and has some other guy's children. Lord Noonecares can't do more than agree on "his" children being all Bignames, after all, he's only there to provide the seed, not the name. And if both of them say they aren't bastards, they aren't (like the Strong children of Rhaeneyra) That's kinda the case of the Mormont women. They are the ladies with the big name. As far as everybody knows, they married in front of a tree with a bear and the girls aren't, according to them, bastards :dunno:

Your bad. :)

BUT I wouldn't be at all surprised to find both Fire and Ice ceremonies to be gruesome affairs.

Remember Brans vision of the old woman with the scythe getting ready to kill the bound man before her, feeding the weirwood with his blood?

And having a woman oversee such a thing might actually point to the possibility of the North being more Matriarchal than Patriarchal.

This woman was more than likely of the same Order that Val is a member of... We know very little of this group, but they are somehow linked to the Weirwoods...

In the illustrated version of ACOK's there is a picture of 3 figures in white robes, snow bear pelts (Val dresses this way on full moons), and antlers on their heads picking up one of Craster's sacrificed sons... These figures look Nothing like GRRM described the Others in AGOTs Prologue... Makes one wonder what is really happening to Craster's Sons?

Archived