R+L=J v. 107

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I know we got a picture of Rhaegar and Robert fighting on the Trident and they were not mounted.

The same for Dany's vision - Rhaegar couldn't have sunk to his knees if he was on horseback.

I only hope Rhaegar did not dismounted because Robert fell. If he did so, I will bring him back and punch him on the face.

Which one? :P

Rhaegar fought honourably, Rhaegar died. A honourable man would dismount. I believe that he did (but I guess you know I do)

I only hope Rhaegar did not dismounted because Robert fell. If he did so, I will bring him back and punch him on the face.

That's what I was getting at. Did Rheagar dismount because Robert fell? Be nice to have a full description of the battle between them.

That's what I was getting at. Did Rheagar dismount because Robert fell? Be nice to have a full description of the battle between them.

I can totally picture that as having happened. Mostly due to Jorah's "Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honourably" part. Jorah was at the Trident, after all. If he didn't see the battle himself, he migth have spoken to people who did.

I know we got a picture of Rhaegar and Robert fighting on the Trident and they were not mounted.

They actually are mounted in the worldbook picture. That doesn't mean they were mounted for the whole fight of course.

It's my understanding (and I am by no means a medieval warfare expert) that knights actually dismounted before major fights. Horses were used to get them into position quickly, but to truly be effective, the tin cans needed to dismount before any sustained fighting.

And I imagine Robert would prefer to be off horseback, seeing as he wields a hammer. A sword could still be effective when on horseback, but a hammer would probably be unwieldy.

And I imagine Robert would prefer to be off horseback, seeing as he wields a hammer. A sword could still be effective when on horseback, but a hammer would probably be unwieldy.

Think that only applies to shorter swords. Regular broadswords were too unwieldy to wield from horseback (once again continuing with my understanding of medeival warfare, which is far from complete).

Think that only applies to shorter swords. Regular broadswords were too unwieldy to wield from horseback (once again continuing with my understanding of medeival warfare, which is far from complete).

I wouldn't bet on historical accuracy in the use of weaponry, GRRM has had some blunders here (drawing greatsword over the shoulder etc)

They are magical arrows ;) There's a magical wind causing them to fly higher :P Or something like that. :)

I'd place my bets on magical reinforced composite bows :-)

- Seriously: I had a student who participated in modern archery competitions (and I don't think that a medieval archer would recognize the equipment he used as a bow) and he claimed that several hundred metres is not a problem, only accuracy, but if he did manage to hit someone, the arrow would still pass through. /disclaimer/ I have only his word for this, though.

I'd place my bets on magical reinforced composite bows :-)

- Seriously: I had a student who participated in modern archery competitions (and I don't think that a medieval archer would recognize the equipment he used as a bow) and he claimed that several hundred metres is not a problem, only accuracy, but if he did manage to hit someone, the arrow would still pass through. /disclaimer/ I have only his word for this, though.

I have shot longbow for over 20 years and would say that so far as shooting at the Wall goes we need to fall back on GRRM's reported admission after seeing the HBO set, that he made the Wall too high. With a good longbow you might just be able to coax the arrow to reach that high but its unlikely to have the energy to do much damage. When shooting at a comparative distance on the ground you shoot high and rely on the velocity as it comes down to give it the necessary punch. Robin Hood tricks like picking out yonder knave in the red plume are totally impractical at a distance. What you do is simply loft as many shafts into the air as ever you can and rely on the resulting arrow storm to take out a respectable proportion of the massed ranks in front rather than any particular individual, although obviously enough if you take a particular banner as an aiming mark, some of the shafts might hit him.

At close range its a matter of hand-eye co-ordination rather than careful aim.

Archived