Small Questions v. 10090

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Does this qualify ? From Clash 40 :

The crown was the only offering she'd kept. The rest she sold, to gather the wealth she had wasted on the Pureborn. Xaro would have sold the crown too_the Thirteen would see that she had a much finer one, he swore_but Dany forbid it. "Viserys sold my mother's crown, and men called him a beggar. I shall keep this one, so men will call me a queen." And so she did, though the weight of it made her neck ache.

Then this, a little further in the same chapter :

"Even if Illyrio is the friend you think him," the knight said stubbornly, "he is not powerful enough to enthrone you by himself, no more than he could your brother."

"He is rich," she said. "Not as rich as Xaro, perhaps, but rich enough to hire ships for me, and men as well."

"Sellswords have their uses," Ser Jorah admitted, "but you will not win your father's throne with sweepings from the Free Cities. Nothing knits a broken realm together so quick as an invading army on its soil."

"I am their rightful queen," Dany protested.

Quick Question, Can Blackfires ride dragons ? I am assuming they can

House Blackfyre was founded after the death of the last dragon, so they never had the chance.

Theoretically anyone with Targ (or possibly any Valyrian originating) blood have a chance to ride, it doesn't matter if they are born from marriage or are bastards.

“A strange and subtle folk, the Volantenes,” he muttered, as he put the elephant aside. “I saw Volantis once, on my way to Norvos, where I first met Mellario. The bells were ringing, and the bears danced down the steps. Areo will recall the day.”

“I remember,” echoed Areo Hotah in his deep voice. “The bears danced and the bells rang, and the prince wore red and gold and orange. My lady asked me who it was who shone so bright.”

So where did Doran and Mellario meet? Areo was trained and send along with Mellario to Dorne.

Doran is describing an event he witnessed in Volantis, and it seems that Areo and Mellario were present there as well. But the part "..on my way to Norvos, where I first met Mellario" would suggest that Doran and Mellario did not meet until Norvos.

So did they meet in Volantis? Or did they see each other in Volantis, and only met in Norvos?

From Feast 2 :

As he honed the axe, Hotah thought of Norvos, the high city on the hill and the low beside the river. He could still recall the sounds of the three bells, the way that Noom's deep peals set his very bones to shuddering, the proud strong voice of Narrah, sweet Nyel's silvery laughter. The taste of wintercake filled his mouth again, rich with ginger and pine nuts and bits of cherry, with nasha to wash it down, fermented goat's milk served in an iron cup and laced with honey. He saw his mother in her dress with the squirrel collar, the one she wore but once each year, when they went to see the bears dance down the Sinner's Steps.

The sentences are confusing, but the bears danced in Norvos, not in Volantis.

So where did Doran and Mellario meet? Areo was trained and send along with Mellario to Dorne.

Doran is describing an event he witnessed in Volantis, and it seems that Areo and Mellario were present there as well. But the part "..on my way to Norvos, where I first met Mellario" would suggest that Doran and Mellario did not meet until Norvos.

So did they meet in Volantis? Or did they see each other in Volantis, and only met in Norvos?

You could read it that way. But you could also read it the other way. The George just switched gears roo quickly.

Short (and maybe stupid) question: is there any info anywhere about how the TV series correspond to the books in their main content? (no, I'm not interested about what the HBO modified, just how they line up).

The first two seasons are more or less correspond to the first two books, but I'm not sure about the third season...

My father just read ASoS and now wants to watch the third season, but, of course, without spoilers for the Feast or Dance. Is it safe?

Bori, the 3rd season is safe yes, arguably the 4th season is not. However we can't be sure of anything because HBO has said its an adaptation, they are essentially writing their own story.

Lost Melnibonean, I'm not sure if this counts but Aerys and Arianne, and then there was the woman who ran Harrenhall and practiced necromancy or whatever she did, but I'm not sure she had a husband just that she practiced magic.

Short (and maybe stupid) question: is there any info anywhere about how the TV series correspond to the books in their main content? (no, I'm not interested about what the HBO modified, just how they line up).

The first two seasons are more or less correspond to the first two books, but I'm not sure about the third season...

My father just read ASoS and now wants to watch the third season, but, of course, without spoilers for the Feast or Dance. Is it safe?

Not really. The show deviates more and more from the books and starts bringing stuff in from Feast and Dance early.

Not really. The show deviates more and more from the books and starts bringing stuff in from Feast and Dance early.

@Bori

4th season defintely isn't safe.

Season 3 = first half 3rd book

Season 4 = second half 3rd book + some parts of book 4 and 5.

Thanks both of you! I think I will risk him to watch season 3, but not season 4 until he reads all the books...

I get the impression that Mellario and Doran were both doing a "Grand Tour" thing and just happened to meet in Volantis like backpackers from Arizona and Australia hooking up in Bavaria or something. Mellario had her bodyguard, Areo, with her at the time.

Archived