Small Questions v. 10090

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Why would you assume that? Tyrion was only 13at the time iirc, also the years aren't kind to an alcoholic.

I'm not assuming it, I'm wondering about it, there's a difference ;)

Did Doran's mother die before Robert's Rebellion or afterwards?

Seeing as how, on her deathbed, she spoke with Oberyn about Elia's death, she died after the rebellion.

That Doran seems to have been in control of the decision whether or not to send troops to Aerys for help, would IMO suggest that his mother had been ill by then, and had remained ill until she died (as Doran is also in charge when Jon Arryn arrives).

I'm not assuming it, I'm wondering about it, there's a difference ;)

Seeing as how, on her deathbed, she spoke with Oberyn about Elia's death, she died after the rebellion.

That Doran seems to have been in control of the decision whether or not to send troops to Aerys for help, would IMO suggest that his mother had been ill by then, and had remained ill until she died (as Doran is also in charge when Jon Arryn arrives).

Do you have a source for that?

ETA: Is this what you mean?

“What I did not tell you was that my mother waited as long as was decent, and then broached your father about our purpose. Years later, on her deathbed, she told me that Lord Tywin had refused us brusquely. His daughter was meant for Prince Rhaegar, he informed her. And when she asked for Jaime, to espouse Elia, he offered her you instead.”

“Which offer she took for an outrage.”
“It was. Even you can see that, surely?”

I don't think that means she dies after Elia did, just after Elia was already married.

Do you have a source for that?

ETA: Is this what you mean?

I don't think that means she dies after Elia did, just after Elia was already married.

Yeah, I guess that's the quote I had in mind. I had been thinking about a discussion concerning her date of death before using that quote, but I had mixed part up in my head. That discussion had been about whether she had died prior to Dorans wedding or not. And that seems to have been after. It was all a big mix-up in my head.

Still, why tell your son such a tale about prospective spouses that were denied when you lay dying, if there is no reason to tell? Also, Oberyn was rarely in Dorne the 10 yeas prior to the Rebellion, spending time in exile, at the Citadel, and then with free companies. The only two definite instances that he can be placed in Westeros were Tyene's conception, and the tourney at Harrenhal. And Oberyns lack of participation might suggest that he wasn't in Westeros during the Rebellion itself, which would indicate that he left shortly after the Tourney at Harrenhal to fight in sellsword companies (his last recorded Essos-activity), and did not return until after Elia's death.

We hsve Stsnnis & Melisandre, the Night's King & his queen and Denys Darklyn Serala of Myr... do we have any other ecamples of a man being enscorceled by a woman?

Some suppose that Roose Bolton was ensorceled by the young miller's wife who bore Ramsay. Roose's whole description of the episode is weird. Roose himself wonders why he kept giving in to the woman's requests year after year. We know Roose is an inveterate liar who twists any truth to his own advantage, but his relationship to Ramsay's mom is freaky as all heck.

Does anybody by any chance know where I could find a list with all the fictional works mentioned or cited in the books?

The wiki offers this page. I can't guarantee that it's 100% complete, though.

Edit: And the Citadel on Westeros.org offers this page, which lists all songs, books, legends and stories. It doesn't seem to include any updates from Dance with Dragons, though

Roughly. Their years have 12 months, and each month, according to Arya, has 30 days. 12x30=360.. It might be that, like in some other cultures, there are 5 days that fall somewhere in between which aren't counted as actual days.. IIRC, the mayans had a system like that..

By the way, I fell recently on that, from Feast 22:

"How many years have you?" the waif asked her once, in the Common Tongue. "Ten," said Arya, and raised ten fingers. She thought she was still ten, though it was hard to know for certain. The Braavosi counted days differently than they did in Westeros. For all she knew her name day had come and gone.

So the 360-days year may be true in Braavos, but not in Westeros... For Arya not to be sure if her name day has passed or not, it could be a month doesn't last 30 days in Westeros!

So the 360-days year may be true in Braavos, but not in Westeros... For Arya not to be sure if her name day has passed or not, it could be a month doesn't last 30 days in Westeros!

If I was running the show, I'd have the years as 500 days long, to explain the ageing of the child actors [emoji6]

I always assumed that it just meant that they had named their months differently, or placed differently in the year. So, for example, the third day in the third month of a year in Westeros, might simply be the 15th day of the 5th month in Braavos.

We also see this in Volantis, as they celebrate the turning of the year at a different moment than Westeros does. Just like the Gregorian calender wasn't used everywhere either, at all times..

GRRM said, IIRC, that a year has 12 months. In the books, they refer to such as moons, and Arya should come to the House of Black and White every time the moon goes black (IIRC), which is every 30 days (according to Arya). You can say that, one time it is 29 days, the next time it is 31 days, and that Arya is just giving the general idea with her 30.

I always assumed that it just meant that they had named their months differently, or placed differently in the year. So, for example, the third day in the third month of a year in Westeros, might simply be the 15th day of the 5th month in Braavos.

We also see this in Volantis, as they celebrate the turning of the year at a different moment than Westeros does. Just like the Gregorian calender wasn't used everywhere either, at all times..

That would be a good and plausible explanation. "A moon's turn" being used in Westeros too, both calendars have to be moon-based. And Arya is confused just because the dates are different.

Archived