Small Questions v. 10090

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Well, she does say "man", so yeah, I guess so ;) She basically ordering here to have all slavers killed, and those are males.

But High Valyrian has no gendered nouns. Remember that whole "Prince" that was Promised thing?

But I kind of don't want to get into it, because this might be officially the most over-analyzed line in the series.

But High Valyrian has no gendered nouns. Remember that whole "Prince" that was Promised thing?

There really is no evidence to support that claim. At best, from what Aemon said, it can be concluded that the HV word for "dragon" is not gender specific.

But I kind of don't want to get into it, because this might be officially the most over-analyzed line in the series.

The "no gender" thing has only been confirmed for the words Prince/Princcess. For nothing else ;) And there is no evidence that it occurs with any other words.. In fact, if it was the case for every noun, then you'd think that the double meaning would have been considered, and not completely forgotten

There really is no evidence to support that claim. At best, from what Aemon said, it can be concluded that the HV word for "dragon" is not gender specific.

The "no gender" thing has only been confirmed for the words Prince/Princcess. For nothing else ;) And there is no evidence that it occurs with any other words.. In fact, if it was the case for every noun, then you'd think that the double meaning would have been considered, and not completely forgotten

This was obviously discussed multiple times while I wasn't looking. :)

Alright then.

Well, she does say "man", so yeah, I guess so ;)

Well, I know, but I've gotten into an argument about this on a non-English language site, and I can't find a way to prove that I'm right :) . In cases like this the best course of action is to ask native speakers and present their answer as proof :cool4: . The point is, it's "everyone" in our translation, not "every man", so now I'm trying to convince people that Daenerys didn't order to kill women in Astapor, but I'm not getting anywhere with this, because they answer that "man" can also mean a human being in general :rolleyes: . I know they are wrong, but I can't explain why (I'm not good at theory), so I came here again looking for confirmation :) .

A half moon was sliding in and out amongst thin high clouds, and Davos could see familiar stars. There was the Galley, sailing west; there the Crone's Lantern, four bright stars that enclosed a golden haze. The clouds hid most of the Ice Dragon, all but the bright blue eye that marked due north. The sky is full of smugglers' stars. They were old friends, those stars; Davos hoped that meant good luck.

Davos VI, Storm

Anybody know which constellation the Crone's Lantern corresponds to?

Do the Planetos constellations correspond to the one's here on Earth?

I treat this idea with equal parts squee and confusion.

I had to look up squee. Cool word. The red wanderer appears to be Mars. The star in the ice dragon's eye (or its rider's eye) is the North Star, so the ice dragon is the ursa minor. The seven wanderers are the seven sacred wanders of antiquity (the Sun, the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter & Saturn).

I had to look up squee. Cool word. The red wanderer appears to be Mars. The star in the ice dragon's eye (or its rider's eye) is the North Star, so the ice dragon is the ursa minor. The seven wanderers are the seven sacred wanders of antiquity (the Sun, the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter & Saturn).

Yes but... implications.

Does this mean The Others are super evolved humans from this distant future or something? You can't have two different planters with the same constellations. Not without an Infinite Improbability Drive anyway.

I know I should just relax and use my suspension of disbelief, but, no.

Yes but... implications.

Does this mean The Others are super evolved humans from this distant future or something? You can't have two different planters with the same constellations. Not without an Infinite Improbability Drive anyway.

I know I should just relax and use my suspension of disbelief, but, no.

^ In this context, a native English speaker would not say "man" meaning human. If she wanted women killed as well as men she would have said "Kill every person who wears a Tokar"

This should be proof enough (if you are a native speaker, of course :) ). When it comes from me, they won't listen. Thanks a lot for your help.

Archived