Could the wildfire burn the valyrian steel?

Sir Bronn

It's never been stated whether or not wildfire would 'burn' Valyrian steel. Wildfire burns until the wildfire substance is gone. Whether or not it burns long enough, or hot enough, to cause structural damage to Valyrian steel isn't known as far as I can recall.

It's never been stated whether or not wildfire would 'burn' Valyrian steel. Wildfire burns until the wildfire substance is gone. Whether or not it burns long enough, or hot enough, to cause structural damage to Valyrian steel isn't known as far as I can recall.

Yup, this.

Given that both Wildfire and Valyrian Steel seems to be not only technology (alchemy and metallurgy, respectively) but also part magic, there's no way to tell.

Of course I'd personally prefer if the "spells" involved in the making of either were non-magic instructions that people just don't understand, rather than magic, but it doesn't seem like this is the case.

I wont argue that we cant say for sure, but I will say I think we can be reasonably sure the answer is no. This is based on several things, first is that the alchemists tell Tyrion there are only 3 substances hotter than Valyrian steal and 1 of those is dragonflame, which is used to make Valyrian steal. We also learn from Tobho Mott that he had to use spells he learned in Qohor to split ice and that even then it was very difficult and took a long time. Last is that while Thoros says that his regular steal blades were ruined by the wildfire he puts on them in melee's, the blades weren't destroyed, only ruined.

I wont argue that we cant say for sure, but I will say I think we can be reasonably sure the answer is no. This is based on several things, first is that the alchemists tell Tyrion there are only 3 substances hotter than Valyrian steal and 1 of those is dragonflame, which is used to make Valyrian steal. We also learn from Tobho Mott that he had to use spells he learned in Qohor to split ice and that even then it was very difficult and took a long time. Last is that while Thoros says that his regular steal blades were ruined by the wildfire he puts on them in melee's, the blades weren't destroyed, only ruined.

This makes a lot of sense.

I have found the relevant notes in this post by Lord Varys (I left out a bunch of stuff, really interesting summary):

In 37 AC Aegon I suffered a stroke and died - he was just telling his grandchildren Aegon and Viserys stories about the Conquest. Maegor spoke the eulogy, and Vhagar incinerated the pyre. Aenys was on a progress at Highgarden at this time, but returned quickly on dragonback to Dragonstone. Grand Maester Gawen proclaimed him king. Maeglor reclaimed Blackfyre from the flames, and Aenys gave the sword to his brother as agift, and proclaimed they would rule together.

And this post by Arataniello:

At the time of Aegon's death, Aenys was in Highgarden. Quicksilver took him back to Dragonstone. Aenys said to his brother "we shall rule together, you and I". Aenys said Maegor was "more fit" to wield Blackfyre, and gave him their father's sword (which was darkened by the pyre]. From Dragonstone, Aenys went on a progress - to King's Landing, Riverrun, [one more place], Highgarden and then Oldtown. In Oldtown he was presented with a new crown by the High Septon.

So, Aegon's pyre was lit with dragonfire, not with wildfyre. But since the pyromances say that dragonflame burns hotter than Wildfyre, it seems we have our answer here. Blackfyre was only darkened by the flames, so it would be resistent against wildfyre.

I have found the relevant notes in this post by Lord Varys (I left out a bunch of stuff, really interesting summary):

And this post by Arataniello:

So, Aegon's pyre was lit with dragonfire, not with wildfyre. But since the pyromances say that dragonflame burns hotter than Wildfyre, it seems we have our answer here. Blackfyre was only darkened by the flames, so it would be resistent against wildfyre.

/thread

Valyrian steel can likely withstand wildfire given it survived hotter dragonflame.

I would say concentrated wildfire can melt Valyrian steel, over a long exposure, in the virture that a skilled smith's fires can melt down and rework Valyrian steel. Wildfire should burn hotter than any smith's flame.

That said, battle field exposure to wildfire, say, a splash of wildfire dropped from a city wall won't distort or harm the valyrian steel.

Essentially, if you drop longclaw into a pool of wildfire or cook it over a wildfire power forge, then yes wild fire can distort it.

Archived