Jon Snow flexing the fingers of his sword hand

Leave it to your goat

I'm in the middle of ADwD (just finished Mel's first chapter) and I was abruptly reminded of this habit of Jon's. So far, I think, Jon's little tic of flexing the fingers of his sword hand has only been observed in Jon's POV chapters, and it seems to be mentioned at least once in the majority of his chapters since he burned his hand while fighting of the wight in AGoT.

I've always been slightly curious about why Jon does this so often. Is it just an ordinary habit like Davos with his finger bones pouch? Is it an involuntary reaction to a certain thought that comes into his head? Is GRRM hinting at something? Am I reading into this way too g**d*** much, or is there some kind of importance to it? Know what I mean? Again, IIRC this habit is only mentioned in Jon's chapters prior to Mel's first POV.

That being said, I've kind of been dismissing it as a meaningless habit, but when Mel noticed it in her POV chapter that sparked my curiosity again. If it's a simple habit, then it makes sense for it to be in Jon's chapters. It's a frequent occurrence that's common to him, so it's only natural that he'd observe it during his POV. But why mention it from Mel's POV? How often does something like that go unnoticed or ignored because of how commonplace it is? Something about this just makes me think that there's some significance to it.

To be clear, this isn't some tin foil speculation that I think is going to unlock the truth of R+L=J or any nonsense like that. It's more of a question I'm putting out there about its relevance (if any). Like I said, it's entirely possible that I'm just trying to find meaning where there is none, but I've been blown away by some of the dots that have been connected by people on this board. So what do you think?

There are lots of possible resurrection events involving hands - Jaime Lannister (following the Ragnarok theory, or the Sidhe parallel) may end up as Tyr (reborn with a golden hand), Victarion Greyjoy also has a burnt hand that was 'revived' by Moqorro, brought back from deadly corruption like Dondarrion (only just the hand!).

I've always expected Jon's burnt hand to end up somehow capable of weilding a flaming sword without perishing. Perhaps after he is reanimated following the assassination...

• 2 months later...

Archived