What do you think of Sansa and Alayne?

Cavendish

I've run into quite a few posts and theories throughout the web regarding Sansa and her having some split-personality, identity issues. What are your thoughts on this? I am an avid fan of Sansa, and didn't believe it as much until I've been reading that she has gaps of memory in her POVs. Is this true? Also the Unkiss, Lady dying( is this symbolic in a way?) and GRRM once saying Lady dying has left Sansa sort of "adrift". I have even jumped on the Sansa poison Joffrey train( yeah I know ._.)

What are you thoughts? Is it complete bogus, completely plausible or just a little blown out of proportion.

EDIT: Yeah if anyone hasn't noticed already, when I scarcely post here, it is about Sansa. I like her as a character, she is intriguing :)

There is no doubt that LF plays a dangerous game here, nor that identity crisis has become a leit motif for Stark children - Alayne, No one as prime example of that. But, at the end, Sansa always remain quite aware of who she is. The entire snow castle scene shows how much atzached she is to her roots and that is not something that can be easily discredit. So, I believe that Alayne is just a mask, a mask that LF wants to push much deeper for his own purposes of seducing her but at the end, she will always be, as Sansa said, Ned and Catelyn's daughter, a daughter of Winterfell.

Sansa is more a survivor than I have given her credit for. She was very, very young when she was first betrothed to Joffrey and did some very bad, not evil, but very punishable things such as lie about the ruby ford incident and then betraying her father to Cersie. She must realize by now, that she was duped into her father lying to save her life only to be murdered anyway. By Ned proclaiming Joff the true King, he may have contributed to a protracted war of the 5 kings. Ned died to save her and her alone as he saw Arya was on her own and not in the custody of the Lannisters. Sansa, according to the actress that plays her, sophie turner, on the hbo show has had discussions with GRRM regarding how Sansa plays out in the books and she says that the real Sansa is book one. Which means she wants to be a Queen and have money and all of the pretty things in life, she just does not know where that is going to come from and she has no where else to go except stay in the Vale for now. I tell you this, I have no doubt that she will be Queen to Aegon VI somehow, someway.

I think Sansa's story is a cautionary tale of who to fall in love with and an inversion of the princess in the castle motif. What happens when Mario is killed before he comes to save Princess Peach? How does she carry herself while a captive? What happens when someone else we don't like steals her away?

It's difficult to say for sure what Sansa's transformation to Alayne Stone is like, because A Feast for Crows is almost cliffhanger for what will happen. Her character is significantly darker, ordering Maester Coleman to give not one but two more doses of sweetmilk when the maester feels uncomfortable even serving one every few days. In Sansa's first Feast chapter we see her haunted by her guilt and Marillion's singing, in the first Alayne chapter she sleeps soundly, wakes up to gaze out her window and have this passing thought:

Around the walls the hosts of Lords Declarant were stirring, emerging from their tents like ants from an anthill. If only they truly were ants, she thought, we could step on them and crush them.

She has taken some control over her dress and commanding the servants, looks upon Littlefinger positively as a father figure, and Alayne seems the only one who can manipulate Sweetrobin to do anything as frustrating as he can be

“I want a hundred lemon cakes and five tales!” I’d like to give you a hundred spankings and five slaps. You would not dare to behave like this if Petyr were here.

She learns some things from Littlefinger and takes an active role in learning more by asking if Lyn Corbray is on his payroll. She makes the brave descent of the Eyrie to the gates below, nursing Sweetrobin along the way. But she's warned not to talk too much to Myranda Royce, and she does let loose that she knows Jon Snow, she mentions her hired protector Lothor Brune has a soft spot for Mya Stone. Once they arrive at the Gates she's surprised by Petyr who has arranged a potential marriage with the next heir to the seat of Arryn with one of the lords declarant that were just demanding Littlefinger to resign as Lord Protector. How she reacts we do not know.

It is stressed that she has to make Harry want to marry her, so that could be something new for Sansa since she's mostly been surrounded with guys coming after her.

She doesn't have a split personality. She's just a method actress, which in her case could be a matter of life and death.

I don't think Martin would use Sansa as an unreliable narrator to distort events as they happen. In memories sure, but not while it's happening. So I don't believe Sansa poisoned Joffrey herself.

Agreed. Sansa did not kill Joffrey. The girl was too sheltered to even know about the poison let alone realize she was wearing it.

Archived