Daenerys is the Denethor of ASoIaF

Nucky Thompson

I have a serious question. Why does everyone who hates Dany come up with a ridiculous complicated way of saying it? Why not just say I hate Dany? It seems much simpler to me.

If there is a Denethor it is obviously Mel, misinterpreting visions. Oh look I wasn't blinded by hate and I came up with a more logical conclusion than you in 1 sentence.

Well, I do despise the character of Daenerys, as I already pointed out. However, my proposition in the first post of the topic was that a parallel between those two could serve as a basis to extrapolate future events in the books to come. It wasn't aimed at bashing Daenerys by comparing her with Denethor, because, as I have stated, I respect the character of Denethor. Maybe that's because I dislike Aragorn, but that's off-topic.

Nope. Never happened. The entire point of the Whitebeard ruse was to make sure Dany wasn't crazy. Then GRRM went a step further and let us into Barristan's head, and at no point does he ever have thoughts about Dany possibly being crazy.

So he played an entire ruse on behalf of a contingency that she is crazy. Seems like he had some misgivings at one point.

Hey uncle Nucky, how's the business?

Business be f-ckin' crackin'...

I'm sticking to Book!Denethor because Movie!Denethor is Jackson's single greatest screw up...

It's not Denethor and Daenerys, it's Denethor and Tywin.

- Both are long-serving, intelligent, competent rulers, who enjoy a status just below "King" (not that it really bothers either of them).

- Both are politicised and machiavellian, preferring to push a particular agenda in the face of a supernatural threat.

- Both lose their beloved wife, and become colder, crueller men afterwards.

- Both have two sons, an elder martial one, whom they favour, and a younger bookish one, whom they scorn - even though they have more in common with the younger son.

- Both have a fatal flaw of pride and vindictiveness.

That's a nice comparison, but Tywin is crueller by far.

I have a serious question. Why does everyone who hates Dany come up with a ridiculous complicated way of saying it? Why not just say I hate Dany? It seems much simpler to me.

If there is a Denethor it is obviously Mel, misinterpreting visions. Oh look I wasn't blinded by hate and I came up with a more logical conclusion than you in 1 sentence.

I think that's not just with Dany, but with every popular character.

I've thought about it further and... sorry. I don't see anything substantial that would make them parallels.

But OP, nice effort. I may not agree but it's in a way an original idea put forth. After so many years of nothing new, the conversations about Dany (and any character) just become rehashing old ground.

Archived