Houses, Heraldry and their organization

I know, especially when they recently replacyed the Stark COA with the bolton flayed men, I died a little inside :bawl: if it's was up to me, the starks would have stayed there for ever, still there is consistency to be concerned about and according to the latest book the guy who edited it, is right...

The only person who can stop this travesty is martin, however it seem that he has some kind of sadistic tendency and kills another stark each time we ask him too...

• 3 months later...

Its became a crowned stag when he took the throne

I used to think that way too. In fact in the series they say 'A crowned stag... now that Robert is king', but! Reading the Hedge Knight it is in fact revealed that Lyonel Baratheon The Laughing Storm already had a "crowned stag" as his sigil. And this is like 90 years or so before the events in A Game of Thrones.

The crowned stag was for Ser Lyonel Baratheon, the Laughing Storm.

So you see, it was already crowned. Unless it was intended as a play on the fact that all stags are crowned by their antlers, as someone above said.

I find it interesting that the heraldry in Westeros is very organized and nobody ever steals a sigil or claims the same animal or symbol.

I used to think that way too. In fact in the series they say 'A crowned stag... now that Robert is king', but! Reading the Hedge Knight it is in fact revealed that Lyonel Baratheon The Laughing Storm already had a "crowned stag" as his sigil. And this is like 90 years or so before the events in A Game of Thrones.

So you see, it was already crowned. Unless it was intended as a play on the fact that all stags are crowned by their antlers, as someone above said.

I find it interesting that the heraldry in Westeros is very organized and nobody ever steals a sigil or claims the same animal or symbol.

It is interesting

So many countries in real life have the lion as a symbol.

Where as in Westeros, the older houses took the cool animals (Wolf, Lion, Kraken) so newer houses got crap like a Fish and a rose.

It is interesting So many countries in real life have the lion as a symbol. Where as in Westeros, the older houses took the cool animals (Wolf, Lion, Kraken) so newer houses got crap like a Fish and a rose.

Well this is because the symbol you pick in real life is not regulated, so there's no way that the Polish can now all the heraldry of England, for example. That's also what I mean when I say that it's funny how nobody in Westeros repeats an animal or sigil, seeing that it happens a lot in our history.

I read that too, and I suppose it's a crowned stag, beacuse Baratheons were kings of Stormlands, or Stormkings. Heraldry in Westeros is very devoloped, we don't see repetated sigils, not even with smaller lords, even they have unique sigils.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived