Castle and City layouts

Jon Blackfyre

Wow those pictures are awesome!

All except for Harrenhal, i imagined it looking a little less a ruin myself, actually :P.

A question related to the subject though; do we know the actual sizes of places figuring in the books? I'm talking about population figures for cities and such. I've got the picture that Martin leaves out hard facts like these, but maybe I am wrong?

If he wouldn't people could actually, using some assumed statistics for inhabitants in each house and so forth, make completely canon city maps by using population as a kind of scale, no? After all, the rest of Martin's descriptions are vivid enough to be translated into picture (as to where in the cities important buildings and landmarks are, for example).

I thought about this for Harrenhal as well. When they say that the castle would be "impossible to garrison" just how much bigger is it than a regular one such as Winterfell? I mean; when Theon captured Winterfell it had just a few men as a garrison, if Harrenhal requires a small army it has to be bloody enormous!

• 1 month later...

I think the only population figures we've got are half a million for King's Landing, about the same or maybe a little less for Oldtown, about 300,000 for Lannisport and then much less, but still in the tens of thousands, for White Harbour and Gulltown. After that it's a drop to just a few thousand for towns such as Stoney Sept and Duskendale.

All of these are rough figures and fluctuate hugely. I'm not sure if the 500,000 for KL is taking into account the fact it's swollen with refugees from the war at the moment.

Ran, any further news/updates on progress?

I've always taken the figure for King's Landing to be a real exaggeration of its normal population.

Sent a fresh draft of one of the major sections to our editor last week, who had a lot of catching up to do after the birth of her daughter and her maternity leave. Not heard back on that yet. :)

• 2 years later...

I thought about this for Harrenhal as well. When they say that the castle would be "impossible to garrison" just how much bigger is it than a regular one such as Winterfell? I mean; when Theon captured Winterfell it had just a few men as a garrison, if Harrenhal requires a small army it has to be bloody enormous!

it's said that Harrenhal covers three times as much ground as Winterfell and its buildings are much larger, with only it's gatehouse being as large as winterfell whole keep.

speaking of Harrenhal, I was trying to figure it's layout, withuot much success, did anyone ever tried to draw it?

it seem to have those huge walls, with 5 towers somewhere inside. the castle bordered by the lake, also there are:

Outer ward, middle ward (and inner ward?)

Main gate, east gate(near Tower of Ghosts) , maybe a south gate into th lake as shown on ted nashima work for grrm.

barracks above the armory, across them is the 20 acers walled goodswood.

Kingspire tower connected to the widows tower via a bridge. to get from a kingspire to the goodswood you have to pass the Wailing Tower .

• 3 months later...

Couple things about Pyke, cause I'm trying to do some concept art for an eventual game environment.

-it used to be one large castle, then it fell away around itself. What else is there besides the 6-Tower Curtain Wall, Gate House, Great Keep, Bloody Keep, Kitchen Keep, and various towers including the Sea Tower?

-what's the orientation of Pyke? Is the Sea Tower the N-E-S-W most structure? Which direction does the Curtain wall run?

-is the Sea Tower used as a lighthouse too, with a beacon on top?

-which is the largest part of the castle? The Bloody Keep is the nicest, but is it larger than the Great Keep?

-How many bridges are there and what are they connected too? Three bridges(two stone/one rope) to get to the Sea Tower?

-where exactly on the island is the castle located?

I assume the Curtain Wall is convex and runs North/South from cliffside to cliffside where the point pyke rested on used to jut out and that the Sea Tower would be the East-Most part of the castle.

Thanks agains. Any other tid-bits, and info would be very welcome.

• 1 month later...

Archived