Why did Tyrion lie?

Facha Martell

When Jaime sets him free from his cell and tells him the truth about Tysha, i understand Tyrion was under a lot of confusion and anger but, ¿why did he lie about killing Joffrey?

There's zero political/emotional profit in that, and i don't think Jaime deserved that after saving his life...

In the other hand, ¿do you think Jaime believed him?

• 2 months later...

^^ I agree with all of the above answers.

Although tbh, it really annoyed me that he did lie to Jaime about that.

I don't know why Jaime would care in regards on who killed Joffery. Reading his POV in AFFC, it seems to me that he didn't care for him as well as how he acted , just a seed he planted into Cersei.

I don't get why would he want that...Jaime was confessing the truth and his true responsability in the lie (it was a Tywin order), after saving his ass.

I mean, i can't help to see them as 2 good things Jaime did that night.

Jaime's truth about about Tysha cut Tyrion deeper than the thought she was a whore that Jaime paid.

You will have some of Tyrion's inner thoughts in ADwD that helps you see Tyrion's perspective.

Mostly it boils down to Tyrion believing she was a whore that Jaime paid...and that she truly didn't love him...but as it turns out, she was no whore and she really did love him. That complete reversal on the powerful emotion of Love...can boil a man's blood and cause a deep resentment...regardless of the circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

He was hurt to his core that Jamie, the one that always protected him and looked out for him lied to him all years about Tysha. He wanted to hurt him back

That makes sense, no sure how that went right over my head i was wondering the same thing as OP.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why Jaime would care in regards on who killed Joffery. Reading his POV in AFFC, it seems to me that he didn't care for him as well as how he acted , just a seed he planted into Cersei.

He didn't personally care about Joffrey, but he still cared whether Tyrion would kill his son. He still saw that as a betrayal. "Would Tyrion do that? He knows Joffrey in mine." is I think a pretty exact quote. Plus he does care about what this does to Cersei and their relationship (nothing pleasant). So I think that lie did it's job punishing Jaime.

It was extrememly annoying to read!!

Interestingly, even after he is told this, Jaime doesn't seem to be that hung up about it. I've lost count of the times that he's thought to himself "... Lancel, Kettleblack and Moonboy for all I know...", but rarely has he pondered on the fact that Tyrion admitted to killing his son. He's more hung up about Cersei's infidelity to him than Joffrey being killed. It's clear he didn't care at all for Joffrey - but to be fair, Joffrey was someone only a mother could love.

I thought Tyrion's reaction was extreme given that Jaime had just saved his life and made a confession; I would have expected more gratitude from Tyrion. The text seems to imply that Tyrion was also cut that Jaime actually asked him if he killed his son.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I get that all these answers 'make sense', i.e. revenge is irrational, but I found myself wondering the same darn thing as OP. Jamie could've easily kept his mouth shut about Tysha, but in a moment of remorse and vulnerability, in which Tyrion even realizes Jamie is afraid, Jamie owns up to his mistake and tells Tyrion the truth and asks forgiveness. Lying to spite Jamie after his brother was big enough to admit that is just petty of Tyrion. Idk for some reason it just really pisses me off, I definitely find myself liking Tyrion less and Jamie more.

Interestingly, even after he is told this, Jaime doesn't seem to be that hung up about it. I've lost count of the times that he's thought to himself "... Lancel, Kettleblack and Moonboy for all I know...", but rarely has he pondered on the fact that Tyrion admitted to killing his son. He's more hung up about Cersei's infidelity to him than Joffrey being killed. It's clear he didn't care at all for Joffrey - but to be fair, Joffrey was someone only a mother could love.

I, honestly, don't believe Jaime thought Tyrion was telling the truth when it came to killing Joffrey. He knew his brother better than that. He THOUGHT he knew his sister better than that though.

as i sniff through this thread, i shall lift a leg and leave this remark...

jamie freed tyrion because he knew his brother would never have killed his son, he was protecting him from the combined injustice of cercei and tywin...two people he, himself, had reason to question (both as a result of their reactions to the loss of his hand and his refusal to leave the kingsguard)...

...however, tyrion had a long held belief that was blown away in a moment. consequently his own rape of his wife becomes an even worse crime and personal betrayal because he had believed jamie's part in the original lie (better that jamie had submitted to tywins authority and decisions by paying a whore than being an accomplice to the greater lie that she was innocent and in love.) In addition it also revealed to tyrion that everything since that moment between him and jamie was also a lie...jamie's need to undo a past bad act...not the love of a brother for a brother, further upending his view of life that defined and justified his own subsequent choices...

why did he lie...i believe he suddenly realized that his one relative that supposedly cared for him was revealed to be false and since jamie asked the question, further signalling that their brotherly affection had always been contrived...he lied, not to hurt jamie by revealing the killer of his son, but to prove that jamie didn't know tyrion any better than tyrion had known jamie

...of course these thoughts are just this old asshole's opinion...feel free to disagree... :smoking:

eta: for the spelling and grammar gestapo

Archived