Concept & Layout

Dagordur

I'm going purely looks here. I want this thing to look old. Not be shoddy mind you, but have one of those ancient tome type looks going for it. Gilding on the edges (I like silver personally). My ideal book would like an ancient history text and it would be filled with exactly what you're expect. The history and everything about Westeros. Everything's a bit much, I know, but a girl can hope, right? :D

• 2 weeks later...
Further thought: if the concept of being a maester's Summa is adopted, which would be very cool, could the information be grouped or referenced by the way maester's divide their knowledge - that is, by the colour of the metals? So, for example, if you're discussing something to do with economics, it would be associated with gold: something to do with magic, valyrian steel.

I realise it might not be practical to divide the chapters this way, but maybe sidebars or such could be labelled like that.

And when we memorize it all we are tested and then get to send away for our chains ;) I love the idea of indexing it by chain link types. Very cool idea Mormont. I love that we have such a forum to talk about this future product. Are there other books that have had fan input to this degree before? I understand we are just throwing out ideas and a lot of them may or may not be used but this is too cool.

• 1 month later...

I think that's a rough one. I think our contract mentions something like that, but Anne Groell said that that was basically boilerpate -- something they put on because they needed to put something on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. I'm now having nightmares:

"Due to Linda's decision to have three chapters about the horses of Westeros, and a whole chapter dedicated to the trees of the Seven Kingdoms to keep Happy Ent happy, The World of Ice and Fire has grown too big to publish in a single volume. The first book, entitled The World of Ice, will be published immediately, consisting only of the even-numbered pages. The second, The World of Fire, will have followed a few months later, but just to spite Calibander, it will now be published 47 years later."

:P

Heh.

No such fears. ;)

Just a small update, while we have been working on the first sections of the book, George has been talking with Bantam extensively. One of the things that became clear is that the layout designer is going to need a pretty tight outline with estimates of how many pages each section will take, so that we can figure out how much art is needed to fill the amount of pages we've got alloted. The idea is to basically have art on every page.

So, we've spruced up the outline that we floated by Anne and George shortly after the Worldcon, with some modifications George suggested, and sent it on to him. He's going to do some more fiddling, noting some potential material for sidebars and the like, and try and help gauge how many pages everything's going to take. While he's doing that, work continues apace. :)

We're going to suggest that instead of doing regular sidebars for snippets of text, that we do them up like annotations, as if the young maester has personally added extra notes for the personage that he's presenting this particular copy of the book to (possibly one of Cersei's children). Not sure if it's possible from a layout perspective, but it'd be cool.

I've seen that done in Fantasy background books i've read, and it can work really well. However, I would like to point out that if you do it like that, make sure that the handwriting it is done in is not hard to read. Small script= not very fun to read.

Archived