US Politics: Shryke and Commodore agree (and other signs and portents)

lokisnow

OAR,

In all sincerity, if they are moving from precinct to precinct how would it be noticed? It's not like the same staff is operating in different precincts. Heck there are 5 precincts within 5 miles of my house so travel between then wouldn't be all that hard.

Just checked there are between 10-12 precincts within 8 miles of my house.

Not everyone pays or has to file taxes, and those who don't are often poor people living on social security, disability, tanf, some other type of cash benefit or without cash income altogether, so this plan would disproportionately disenfranchise the poorest of the poor. Not cool.

I'm pretty sure they are still supposed to file taxes. And this isn't the only way one can register and get an ID, just a free one.

What's the proper method for verifying a voter is who they say they are without violating their voting rights?

Step one: create a national civic database, so that governments exactly know who is who and who lives where. This reduced the burden on people who now at times need things like birth certificates and other paperwork that takes a lot of time and effort to obtain.

Step two: introduce an obligatory set of ID's, everyone has to own at least one and they should all be valid all over the nation. The sheer scale should keep cost per unit down somewhat, and after set one it should be relatively easy.

Step three: with all those sunk cost and people sure to have an ID you can think about starting mandatory voting ID's.

Can't see this working out in the US though.

OAR,

In all sincerity, if they are moving from precinct to precinct how would it be noticed? It's not like the same staff is operating in different precincts. Heck there are 5 precincts within 5 miles of my house so travel between then wouldn't be all that hard.

If someone is willing to do this, would they not also be willing to forge a fake ID?

OAR,

That strikes me as a somewhat densely populated area. My town has two polling places, always with poll watchers and local party people around (I suspect they'd notice something suspicious like a flood of unfamiliar faces voting, and if a resident tried to go to both places I suspect they'd be recognized). Smaller towns nearby have only one polling place.

People that make below a certain threshold of annual income are not required to file taxes, and you don't have to file if you won't owe anything or will receive a refund.

Again, it's just a free way to do it. Free to get, free to submit, national ID, free and easy registration.

Archived