Magic & Otherworldly Creatures

Zephyr Fate

• 1 year later...
Just to clear up something: Wyverns are generally like dragons but their arms are their wings..whereas dragons have 4 legs AND wings.

So wyverns are more like bird-lizards than dragons are.

Yea... World of Warcraft aside, Wyverns are generally portrayed as a smallish dragon like creature with two legs, and wings ending in the remains of a claw. In many cases wyverns also have a tail ending in a barbed poisoned stinger.

Dragons are in fact four legged as stated. Some of the best illustrations of Martin's dragons can be found in the Hedge Knight graphic novel, where they are portrayed as such... the classic fantasy dragon in the tradition of Smaug for example.

True, but prior to GRRM's remarks there was no evidence they were actual creatures, rather than fanciful ones (the same with unicorns, which weren't rumored to really exist until AFfC).

Just to clear up something: Wyverns are generally like dragons but their arms are their wings..whereas dragons have 4 legs AND wings.

So wyverns are more like bird-lizards than dragons are.

Since Martin's dragons have only two legs and wings, what then is the difference between them and a wyvern besides size? I eagerly await some more info in ADWD.

• 1 month later...

Is there any plan to detail the basilisks? I sort of assumed that they were one of Komodo dragons, dinosaurs, another cousin to the dragons, or crocodilians. We have enough info to say that they could easily kill a dog in a fighting pit, but not much more. Might go along with the dragons, wyverns, and firewyrms.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wyverns could work and still be distinctive if they're portrayed as a sort of mamalian equivalent to the more saurian dragons. More like giant bats than mini dragons, or at least somewhere in between. I trust Martin's creativity on this one not to just give us mini-dragons.

Oh, and here is how I always pictured the manticore beetle (quick photoshop sketch):

The Manticore

You can always differentiate the beetle from the beast itself and have both in the book if Martin confirms that manticores do in fact exist.

Archived