Reading Sequence of Book Five: A Dance with Dragons: Song of Ice and Fire

KillingTank

I don't get this style of book reading. How do I properly read this book without getting totally confused?

Do I only read Tyrion's perspective, or do I read everyone's? How do you properly get the most out of this jam packed book of great adventures?

Please any answer would be grateful.

Read them one by one, in the order they are presented. Should you by the end feel confused, reread the POV that confused you.

In Dance, POVs interact with one another, so reading only one POV will make you wonder why specific characters are suddenly on a specific location. And later, you will be wondering where they went. That won't be usefull :)

Well, then I'd suggest reading per story arc, not per POV (as multiple POVs have interacting storylines).

Since you started with both Tyrion and Daenerys, You could do the following read (this list is the normal sequence of chapters, with all the non-important chapters for this arc left out)

1. Tyrion I
  2. Daenerys I
  3. Tyrion II
  4. The Merchant's Man
  5. Tyrion III
  6. Daenerys II
  7. Tyrion IV
  8. Daenerys III
  9. Tyrion V
  10. Tyrion VI
  11. Daenerys IV
  12. The Lost Lord
  13. The Windblown
  14. Tyrion VII
  15. Daenerys V
  16. Tyrion VIII
  17. Daenerys VI
  18. Tyrion IX
  19. Daenerys VII
  20. Tyrion X
  21. Daenerys VIII
  22. Daenerys IX
  23. The Queensguard
  24. The Iron Suitor
  25. Tyrion XI
  26. The Discarded Knight
  27. The Spurned Suitor
  28. The Griffin Reborn
  29. Victarion I
  30. Tyrion XII
  31. The Kingbreaker
  32. The Dragontamer
  33. The Queen's Hand
  34. Daenerys X

In the end, it will always be your own decision :) but if you really want to "cut" the story into pieces, reading by arc is the way to go. The Tyrion arc interacts with a new POV, who eventually separates from the storyline, but keeps containing "spoilers" for the Daenerys storyline.

Whereas the "Merchant Man" (Windblown, Spurned Suitor, Dragontamer) begins separate, but merges into the Daenerys storyline.

The Discarded Knight (Queensguard, Kingbreaker, Queen's Hand) and Daenerys are basically the same storyline, which separates only during the last Daenerys chapter.

Victarion (Spurned Suitor, Victarion I) continues his arc from Feast, and is on his way to Daenerys. If you want, these two chapters could be read separately after the Daenerys arc has been read, A character from Tyrion's arc does appear in Victarons', though.

And then there's the Lost Lord (Griffin Reborn), who first appears in the Tyrion arc, before getting a POV of his own.

The chapters are placed in the order they are in for a reason :) think of it a bit like Game of Thrones, where Ned, Arya, and Sansa are all in KL.. While for deeper perspective reading only 1 POV at a time is usefull, when you first read only Sansa, you'll be stuck wondering where that "dance master" came from, while he's simply mentioned as having been hired one Arya chapter before, yet you won't find out until you read the Arya arc.

A Dance with Dragons basically consists out of an arc in Essos (as displayed above), an arc in the north (Prologue, Jon (13), Reek (6) and Asha (2)), and some chapters finishing up some stuff from Feast (Areo (1), Cersei (2), Jaime (1), The Blind Girl (1), Epilogue).

You could try that approach..?

There was a suggested reading sequence somewhere, I can't recall where. It had notes too, explaining why you skip certain chapters and leave others until afterwards. Perhaps someone else has a better memory than myself (possibly with a link).

I couldn't cope it, I had to just resort to Tyrion's perspective as I kept forgetting what happened in the previous segments with all the different perspectives. It is much easier to follow and read and enjoy when I just stick with Tyrion's perspective. It was greatly engrossing reading Tyrion's views and I just finished his last segment today, I have moved onto Jon's perspective now.

I really did try your method which you recommended as the "proper" way of reading it, but it just didn't flow well.

Thank you anyways.

Just read it in the order that it was written, it's better that way. Generally a fair amount of time passes from one POV of a character to the next time that they appear. I think that part of the confusion that you feel may be due to the fact that a lot of time/events occur *between* chapters, and we are just given clues to piece it together on our own. In my opinion, reading just one character at a time loses some sense of the flow of time as it would make it seem like the events you read about from one chapter to the next are happening back to back, when in fact they're not.

Archived