Outlander: Waiting for April [SPOILERS: First Season]

Veltigar

On 5/30/2016 at 10:37 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

Yup, I had grown bored of the show.  The location is such a character in it's own right and I found very little of interest in Paris.  Being back in Scotland is such a joy.  I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't more breathing room at Lallybroch as I enjoyed things like the wool waulking last season or seeing the operating of the estate, though I suppose doing something similar would feel too much like retreading.  Knowing what's coming up in future boos and seasons, (serious book spoilers follow.  Seriously)

Hide contents

I wonder if other locales, specifically the 18th century America Fraser homestead, will feel as much like an enjoyable character as Scotland does.  The mountains of North Carolina are gorgeous so there is a good chance it could be.

It's hard to talk about some other scenes without getting more into spoilers so I think I'll leave it at that for now.  

I've wondered the same thing.  Eighteenth century Scotland is a great backdrop.  Will the show continue to hold viewers' interest in the next two seasons, if, as I hope, it gets them?

I've been enjoying Outlander immensely; in fact, more than I do Game of Thrones, if such heresy can be permitted.

Not too much happened this last episode, but I appreciated the differences in opinions/strategies between Jamie and Dougal. Dougal grudgingly following orders from Jamie was amusing. Good to see most of the old Scotland characters pretty back together again. Clare's flashbacks were interesting and looks like we finally get a battle next week. Will we see Willie again in America?

This episode definitely highlights how great a character the Scotland backdrop is.  Almost nothing happened, aside some set up for future episodes, plots and seasons, but it was still quite enjoyable.  I had been concerned about this season since there is just so much plot to chew through, but they are doing really well with pacing.  

Also curious if we will see Willie again. 

On 5/31/2016 at 5:21 AM, Raksha 2014 said:

I've been enjoying Outlander immensely; in fact, more than I do Game of Thrones, if such heresy can be permitted.

At least aesthetically, Outlander outmatches Game of Thrones. Undoubtedly, it is gorgeously filmed... And truly, like they say that NYC was a 5th girl in "Sex and the City", Scotland is like a character for Outlander. It is incredible how they used its beauties for the purpose of the show.

I adored Claire's flashbacks from WWII. I was hoping we might see those given the unavoidable war in front of them, but it was even better. It really put her entire knowledge into perspective. Truly, truly great.

I'm so looking forward to watching this season when it's available on dvd.

Been reading the reviews and recaps, looking at the still photos from the episodes. This is epic tv.

13 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I'm so looking forward to watching this season when it's available on dvd.

Been reading the reviews and recaps, looking at the still photos from the episodes. This is epic tv.

It truly is... There is a beauty and elegance even in most of the macabre moments. The aesthetics is just breathtaking, And the combination of music, scenery, acting and costumes is tremendous. This is how you do these things... 

I think Linda and I have been enjoying this season more than the first one. Some of the rough edges are gone, the voiceover isn't quite as overused as it was that first season, and France was a nice diversion while Scotland has returned strong. It's entertaining.

Although it seems the fandom can be very dramatic. Just saw this article over at Vox about shippers and William Shatner (!) going to war. Somewhat surreal.

On 12/6/2016 at 6:52 PM, Risto said:

It truly is... There is a beauty and elegance even in most of the macabre moments. The aesthetics is just breathtaking, And the combination of music, scenery, acting and costumes is tremendous. This is how you do these things... 

That's called sensuality.

10 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

He understand... Shatner was the Heughan of the 60s, 70s... Kind...a(?).

What a babe. :leer:

I actually think it's sweet that he's defending Sam, from the ones who are messing with him. An actor's personal life is his own. It's supposed to be about the story, that's all he signed up for, to play Jamie.

Anyway, I am loving the show, too, they've done a beautiful job adapting the books to screen, and I am very interested to see how Diana Gabaldon does so in the next episode (that she wrote).

Sneak peek:

http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/news/a21085/exclusive-outlander-sneak-peek/

13 hours ago, aRanycsapat said:

Although it seems the fandom can be very dramatic. Just saw this article over at Vox about shippers and William Shatner (!) going to war. Somewhat surreal.

What in the name of all Claire's neck pieces have I just read? :)

29 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

He understand... Shatner was the Heughan of the 60s, 70s... Kind...a(?).

I always thought that Heughan is the Lambert of 2010s.

33 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

That's called sensuality.

https://danceswithdissonance.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/lotr-frodo-gross-face.gif

Loved the ending of this episode, which saved it for me. Murtaugh is fantastic! Everything until that point was a little weak. I wasn't crazy about Rupert's injury and thought it was a bit unrealistic, mainly his surviving it. However, it made a bit more sense watching the after episode and hearing Gabaldon's reasons for it. Sounds like it was better in the book. Their escape from the church was a bit unbelievable. Those British soldiers seemed awfully naïve. But at least the show is consistent with its naivete. I hope we are done with the prison breaks. The show has had a bit too many of those. It was nice to see Hugh Munro again.

Diana Gabaldon talks about writing her first episode here.

As for what the Vox piece is about -- good grief.  This kind of stuff is so stuffing the internet (along with ads and commercials) no wonder I spend hardly any time on it beyond researching academic databases for historic newspaper articles and so on.  But with about three exceptions including in subjects like this one on this site, I've dropped off of participating or even reading or looking at social media at all.  Toxic and trivial, time wasting. Yikes!  End of rant.  Apologies you all, you didn't need this!

5 hours ago, TepidHands said:

"Outlander" won the best fantasy series last night at the Saturn awards, and Caitroina Balfe for best actress. 

That's excellent news about Outlander.  Thank you!

Very nice juxtaposition of the MacKenzie and Randall brothers' stories. I was very pleased to see different sides of both Jack and Dougal.

Here I thought today's episode was the finale and was scratching my head at the ending. The season finale will air on July 9th and will be 90 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are impressed with Outlander's costumes, an article is running on New York Magazine describing ways in which much contemporary television is employing the techniques of the major Hollywood "woman's picture" from the 1930's - 1960's, i.e. until the collapse of the studio system.

The author particularly focuses upon the techniques of costuming to telegraph character's identities and development.  Among those series targeted is Outlander:

Outlander is a great example of how women’s pictures use costuming to telegraph character. This season especially it’s been a commentary on the shifting relationship between the show’s leads during their time in Paris. Claire Fraser’s scene-stealing red dress in the second episode speaks to her modernity, with its lack of embellishment and strong architectural qualities. But as her time in Paris continues and her relationship with her husband, Jamie, grows more strained, Claire's clothes noticeably change. She begins to incorporate the tulle, beading, embroidery, and delicate chokers of the French women around her. This shift visually speaks to the emotional distance she feels both within her marriage and from whom she once was.

Solid season finale. Much better than last season's.

I will miss Graham McTavish. He did a wonderful job playing Dougal. I haven't read the books so I have no idea where this is going, but I'm glad that we may still see 18th century Scotland next season.

I expect that we will see part of the battle of Culloden at the beginning of next season, mainly to see how Jamie escapes and Black Jack's death. I would be disappointed if they failed to show this. 

Archived